Swen virus from ras?

Old October 12th 03, 06:14 AM
Eric Greenwell

Default Swen virus from ras?

I've been receiving about 15 emails a day for several days with the
Swen virus attached. Since this is the most likely group to have the
email address I use here, I suggest anyone with this address do a
virus scan on their computer.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)
Old October 12th 03, 05:01 PM
Tim Olson

In article ,
Eric Greenwell wrote:

| I've been receiving about 15 emails a day for several days with the
| Swen virus attached. Since this is the most likely group to have the
| email address I use here, I suggest anyone with this address do a
| virus scan on their computer.

The virus is not coming from a computer of someone reading this
newsgroup (at least it is not likely). The SWEN virus ("NEWS, spelled
backwards) has a list of open NNTP News servers to which it connects and
harvests email addresses from current news postings.
See http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml for more details.

Best thing you can do is post with a "munged" email address (as you now
appear to be doing), but your unmunged address will continue to be
harvested as long as it exists on various news servers.

-- Tim Olson
Old October 12th 03, 07:04 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article fa6nxvc102-9D8A10.11013112102003
@central.isp.giganews.com, says...
In article ,
Eric Greenwell wrote:

| I've been receiving about 15 emails a day for several days with the
| Swen virus attached. Since this is the most likely group to have the
| email address I use here, I suggest anyone with this address do a
| virus scan on their computer.

The virus is not coming from a computer of someone reading this
newsgroup (at least it is not likely). The SWEN virus ("NEWS, spelled
backwards) has a list of open NNTP News servers to which it connects and
harvests email addresses from current news postings.
See
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml for more details.

Best thing you can do is post with a "munged" email address (as you now
appear to be doing), but your unmunged address will continue to be
harvested as long as it exists on various news servers.

Sigh. Remember when we used to wonder what the next "killer app"
program would be? I'm beginning to think it will be (is?) a virus,
only with "killer" having different meaning.

Old October 15th 03, 11:01 AM
Dylan Smith

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:04:19 -0700, Eric Greenwell flyguy26e@charter
DECIMAL.POINTnet wrote:
Sigh. Remember when we used to wonder what the next "killer app"
program would be? I'm beginning to think it will be (is?) a virus,
only with "killer" having different meaning.

To date, I have rejected over 1.6GB of Swen laden emails. Good job I have
plenty of bandwidth.

I reject all Windows executables at the mail server.
--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Owning 14 January 19th 05 10:17 PM
Virus heads up...... Jay Honeck Owning 6 May 17th 04 06:37 AM
WG: Weiterl.: nice little VIRUS Walter Kronester Piloting 3 March 13th 04 12:46 PM
Please read - virus alert (posted by Gordon) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 0 January 28th 04 11:33 PM
sobig.f virus Tarver Engineering Instrument Flight Rules 1 September 2nd 03 03:54 AM