Discus 2b cockpit comfort?

Old January 11th 04, 04:02 AM
Jeremy Zawodny

Default Discus 2b cockpit comfort?

I've never flown in a Discus 2b but have fantasized about getting one
someday. I do have a dozen or so flights in the font seat of a Duo
Discus and while it's a *great* ship to fly, it doesn't have as much
room in the front as our club's DG-1000 does (need room for keeping
stuff during the flight) and the seating is a little bit less
comfortable. For local flights it's probably not a big deal, but for
longer ones it may matter.

Anyway, can anyone comment on the relative space and comfort of a Discus
2b (or Ventus 2b--I'm told they're virtually the same) compared to a Duo
Discus?

Actually, a comparison between the Discus 2b and any of the following
would be helpful:

- DG-1000
- Pegasus 101A
- Grob 103 (yeah, it's huge)

I have enough flights in any of them to make the comparison meaningful.
If it helps, I'm pretty comfortable in the Pegasus and I'm
approximately 5'11" and 205 (hopefully decreasing).

Thanks,

Jeremy

Old January 11th 04, 01:21 PM
Chris OCallaghan

The Discus 2B cockpit is narrower than all three of the models below,
but longer. This allows some adjustment of seat posistion depending on
torso length (head against canopy) and shoulder breadth. The seat pan
is pretty narrow. If you are wide in the hips, this might prove
uncomfortable. I'm a little taller and heavier than you, but about the
same proportions. I am very comfortable in the V2bx cockpit, but
finding the formula of seatback position and rudder pedal adjustment
took a few flights.

Old January 11th 04, 05:37 PM
tango4

"Robert Danewid" wrote in message
I am 1.88 m long and 118 kg and I fit in nicely.

Robert

Add a parachute say 7kg, plus a litre of water and a bit of personal kit - 2
kg and there you are at 127kg in the cockpit. 127 - 110 = 17 kg or about 15%
over the manufacturers specification. Hope you're registered Experimental!

Ian :-)

Old January 11th 04, 08:08 PM
MKEENE221

Add a parachute say 7kg, plus a litre of water and a bit of personal kit - 2
kg and there you are at 127kg in the cockpit. 127 - 110 = 17 kg or about 15%
over the manufacturers specification. Hope you're registered Experimental!

Not sure where those numbers came from, but lets do the math. Pilot at 205lbs.
(93kg), parachute 15lbs (7kg), even more drinking water for the desert contests
(1US gal.) 8lbs (3.6kg). Now we're up to 228lbs (103.6kg). Assuming he'll use
water ballast, add 2gal. water in tail and 8 lb tail weight and we're up to
252lbs (114.5kg). According to my Discus 2 manual, that leaves him 18lbs.
(8kg) before he is up to the max useful load of 270lbs. (122.7kg).

Sounds like a nice fit to me. Plenty of room too, as I'm 6'2", 190 lbs. and
very comfortable.

Mark Keene
Old January 11th 04, 11:11 PM
John Galloway

It looks to me as if Tango4's reference was to the
1.88m and 118kg pilot versus the usual Schempp-Hirth
placard for max seat load limit of 110kg - perhaps
this does not apply to the Discus 2B(?)

To go back to the original poster's point, I was surprised
to hear he doesn't find the front seat of the Duo comfortable
as it the most comfortable I have ever used for long
flights, albeit somewhat lacking in storage space -
fortunately the design solves this issue by including
space for a butler in the back.

John Galloway

Old January 12th 04, 12:32 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"Jeremy Zawodny" wrote in message

Anyway, can anyone comment on the relative space and comfort of a Discus
2b (or Ventus 2b--I'm told they're virtually the same) compared to a Duo
Discus?

Jeremy

The front seat of the Duo has no similarity to the Discus/Ventus cockpit.
Not a valid comparison. The back seat of the Duo might make for a better
comparison, except that it is so deep that one nearly needs a crane to get
out. The Discus/Venus cockpit is much better than the front or back seat of
the Duo.

Duane

Old January 12th 04, 02:09 AM
cernauta

"Duane Eisenbeiss" wrote:

The front seat of the Duo has no similarity to the Discus/Ventus cockpit.
Not a valid comparison. The back seat of the Duo might make for a better
comparison, except that it is so deep that one nearly needs a crane to get
out. The Discus/Venus cockpit is much better than the front or back seat of
the Duo.

And if more room is really needed, particularly for tall pilots, the
"c" versions (Ventus 2c and Discus 2c) are even bigger.

Aldo Cernezzi
Old January 12th 04, 03:15 AM
MKEENE221

It looks to me as if Tango4's reference was to the
1.88m and 118kg pilot versus the usual Schempp-Hirth
placard for max seat load limit of 110kg - perhaps
this does not apply to the Discus 2B(?)

John,

You're probably right, but since I don't carry drinking water and a personal
kit in the seat with me, I assumed he was talking about useful load. I carry
those aft of the seat or in the baggage compartment. The max seat load,
including parachute is 110kg or 242lbs.

Also, Aldo mentions a DiscusC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far there's
only an A, B, Bt and a future 18m.

Thanks,

Mark

Old January 12th 04, 11:57 AM
John Galloway

At 02:30 12 January 2004, Mkeene221 wrote:

Also, Aldo mentions a DiscusC. Correct me if I'm wrong,
but so far there's
only an A, B, Bt and a future 18m.

Mark,

The not yet flown 18m Discus 2 is designated the Discus
2C. It and the Ventus 2 'X' versions have the same
cockpit because it originated as the Discus 2B cockpit.
I was told that this cockpit is stronger than that
of the original Ventus 2 but I don't know if it is
any bigger than it.

John Galloway

Antonov vs Galaxy cockpit Emilio Military Aviation 13 July 2nd 04 06:15 AM
[LBA] Schempp-Hirth - Discus bT - Discus Frederic FUCHS Soaring 0 September 17th 03 08:42 AM
All Czech built Discus grounded Paul Soaring 0 September 14th 03 02:22 AM
18m Discus Burt Compton Soaring 2 September 8th 03 10:52 AM
Duo Discus Tech note Thomas Knauff Soaring 25 August 9th 03 10:10 PM