sunlight readable iphone

Old September 15th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default sunlight readable iphone

On 09/15/2017 09:53 AM, wrote:
Talking about portable 5V "power bank" battery packs, an issue I have with them is that they are too "smart". They turn themselves off when they feel not enough of a load (e.g. the smartphone decides it's fully charged at the moment). And then don't turn themselves back on even if a load is there, until you manually press the "on" button. Not good when you're busy flying and don't notice. I've also had some of those packs stop working altogether until I took them apart and unsoldered the battery from the "smarts" board to reset the controller. I've looked long and hard for any with a simple on/off slide switch, they are rare. Did find this one, it doesn't have a huge capacity (probably not even the claimed one) but is useful nonetheless, also doubles as a flashlight:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381654424368

BTW I love my Nook e-reader's reflective e-ink display, nothing is more readable in bright sunlight! (Runs TopHat which is a derivative of XCsoar.)

I have an Anker brand battery that doesn't need to be turned on, just
plug it in. There is a pushbutton that controls the flashlight.

Haven't used it while flying, my Nook charges from ship battery via the
IOIO-OTG adapter.
Old September 15th 17, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 4:13:44 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
... I tried to get my Nook to run TopHat and have had zero luck. ...

I've used a Nook for several years now. You do need to "root" the Nook (jailbreak the OS). Instructions are on the Tophat website. Once I've created the needed special memory card I've re-used it to root several Nooks easily enough. For me and for other club members. If you want I can do it for you too.

I've used two ways to get around the Nook not having a built-in GPS. One does not need soldering and uses cheap off-the-shelf components: a USB GPS "puck" and an OTG Y-cable (to which external 5V power also connects). It works reasonably well, although sometimes it froze up in mid-flight and I had to restart the Nook, which meant a split flight log. I suggested to the main developer to allow continuing the same log file after a crash and restart, and that is supposedly done now, although I havn't used that feature because I meanwhile switched to a different solution: I did solder a serial GPS to the Nook's motherboard. Not for the faint of heart... But it does work very well once done. A third way is via an "IOIO box" but that seems overkill to me.

A Yotaphone sounds neat, but it's hard to get one. Used Nooks are (still) plentiful and cheap, and I like the bigger screen. For a slightly smaller e-ink screen (good in tight cockpits) some people use a "Kobo Mini" e-reader.
Old September 15th 17, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

http://tophatsoaring.org/Kobo.html

An available solution is http://goflyinstruments.com/ . I have a V4. 20 hr battery, GPS, pressure sensor all in one package. Not inexpensive, but it works on a Kobo Mini. They're up to V6 now. Well thought out. I started with the Y-cable but found it messy. All in one is nice - when I fly club duals I use it with a kneeboard.
Old September 16th 17, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 8:13:44 AM UTC+12, Soartech wrote:
Why not run a yotaphone? E-ink on one side...

Yes, and LCD on the other. I tried to get my Nook to run TopHat and have had zero luck. It is not possible withouot taking it apart and doing some soldering.Even then you have to have a serial output GPS. Newer USB output GPS will not work. I was lucky enough to test fly a Yodaphone (not sure about the spelling) and it worked well. However last time I searched for them online they were not sold in the USA. Probably because
they are made in Russia... might include spyware at no extra charge :-)

I've been using an Android based e-reader for a few seasons now. XCSoar runs on it nicely, standard install, nothing fancy. Just upgraded to a faster display that reduces the flashing on refresh.

Using a Boox e-reader from Onyx. 6 inch e-ink display. I got mine from Banggood.com.
Connecting to Flarm using an ioio adapter and the UART interface kit from Soartronics.

Works great and very reliable.
Old September 17th 17, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

I've running the Yotaphone 2 lately and it works great. The brighter it is the better it is. The only issue is since there is no color, some of the icons are difficult to decipher. I picked mine up for $110 but they are getting harder to find now. Word is they are coming out with the Yotaphone 3 model this month with a bigger screen but since it is a new phone will go for $600.
Old September 17th 17, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Any suggestion for a 7-8 inch HDMI display, 1000+ nits, decent resolution?

BTW, for Android devices and HDMI displays you can get an easy perfect HD mirroring through Amazon's Fire TV Stick for $39.99.

Finding the display isn't the problem, plenty of displays out there. It's getting the mirroring working. Apple's solution for this does not display in full resolution, and does not display in portrait orientation. There is no other solution but hacking the phone OS, possible perhaps but complicated. Not sure what exists in the Android world but iGlide does not run on Android anyway.

Old September 17th 17, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 11:30:26 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Any suggestion for a 7-8 inch HDMI display, 1000+ nits, decent resolution?

B and H Photo has very nice ones.
Jim

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...02_7_oled.html
Old September 17th 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 2:58:47 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 11:30:26 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Any suggestion for a 7-8 inch HDMI display, 1000+ nits, decent resolution?

B and H Photo has very nice ones.
Jim

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...02_7_oled.html

Oops, back out from that link to the list. But that is a nice one.
Jim
Old September 17th 17, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 2:26:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Does anyone have any data on whether the iPhone X OLED screen will be more sunlight readable than previous iPhones? The brightness spec looks the same (625cd/m2), but I see no data on the screen reflectance.

Not to stray off the original question but I use my Android Galaxy S5 phone running Top Hat or XCSoar as a back up incase of a flight computer failure, also for local flights in the two seater club world.
The S5 is a good phone, had it for nearly three years but it is anything but sunlight readable.
I am contemplating updating it, as it is time, to perhaps to an S8 but not convinced it would be much better.
Any other suggestions in the Android world??

Old September 18th 17, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 11:30:26 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Any suggestion for a 7-8 inch HDMI display, 1000+ nits, decent resolution?

BTW, for Android devices and HDMI displays you can get an easy perfect HD mirroring through Amazon's Fire TV Stick for $39.99.

Finding the display isn't the problem, plenty of displays out there. It's getting the mirroring working. Apple's solution for this does not display in full resolution, and does not display in portrait orientation. There is no other solution but hacking the phone OS, possible perhaps but complicated. Not sure what exists in the Android world but iGlide does not run on Android anyway.

Does the Fire Stick do portrait? Seems like most of the devices built for TV do not. In other words, if I have my HDMI display in portrait orientation (TV turned sideways), and my app on the phone is in portrait orientation, do I see the correct thing? What many of them do it show a portrait image sized down to fit upright on a landscape (TV) display. For almost all TV use that is what you want, but in a glider it is not.