Best foggles or hood w/ Headset and Glasses

Old April 26th 04, 06:09 PM
Andrew Gideon

Captain Wubba wrote:

This may sound silly, but I take a $0.99 pair of clear protective
goggles (from Sears or Home Depot, or wherever), then put duct tape
over the top half of the lenses, and along the sides. I got tired of
losing $20 foggles.

I hope I don't have to go this route. I'm lazy. But it may be what I do.

When I did my IFR training, I used foggles. They were terrific for me, my
glasses, and my headset.

After receiving the rating, I managed to find enough poor weather to stay
current w/o the foggles. In the meantime, I got a new pair of glasses
which dip less low below my natural sight-line than my previous pair. That
is, there's more uncorrected visual space when I look down my nose, for
example.

A few months ago, I tried to use foggles, and found it very difficult. The
clear part of the foggles is only partially corrected for my vision by my
glasses. I've only a little trouble with the instruments (although I need
to move my head too much), but charts on my lap are just impossible to see.

I need to find something with which to replace the foggles, but I've not
figured out yet what. I'm afraid that anything close to my glasses (ie.
something which clips on) is going to have a similar problem. So I may
have to fall back on something like a hoodlamp or traditional hood.

I'm disappointed, though, as I liked the ease of the foggles.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks...

Andrew

Old April 26th 04, 08:10 PM
Sloan Essman

I use a Viban and love it. They have 2 versions, one for folks with
glasses, and one without.

http://www.viban.com

Sloan
The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes.
Me, I'd rather fly. -- Len Morgan

"Jeff Saylor" wrote in message
If you are a pilot who uses both a headset and eyeglasses, what IFR
trainng device works and fits best for you? The generic foggles, like
Sporty's sells? The Jeppesen JeppShades Flip-Up hood? A particular
model of hood?

Old April 26th 04, 09:04 PM
PaulH

I used the flip-up devices that fit on my glasses, but my examiner
refused to let me use them because of excessive perpheral vision -
made me put on a cardboard hood she carried with her.

Now that I've done more actual IFR, I agree with her - the ideal
device would not permit you to see even shadows moving inside the
cockpit. I almost had to re-learn IFR skills when I started the real
thing.

Once in cloud, there is NO visual cue that you are climbing or turning
apart from those instruments.
Old April 26th 04, 10:54 PM
Paul Keller

I'm a glasses wearer & used a hoodlamb for all of my IFR training, and
continue use it for the occasional recurrent training and practice.
I've liked it alot--it does a very good job of blocking your
peripheral vision, you can transition very quickly and easily between
"under the hood" and VFR, notably, at the end of an ILS to minimums to
a visual landing, and, if you're practicing during the day with the
sun low on the horizon, since it's completely opaque plastic, it does
an excellent job of blocking the sun. Since it does attach to a
headset, getting it to attach to headsets with narrow speaker
stirrups, such as those on the DC H10-13.4 can be a bit of a problem.
I wrapped some electrical tape around the stirrups of my DC 13.4, and
generally do not have a problem with it staying on the headset.

--Paul Keller

Old April 27th 04, 01:18 AM
C J Campbell

The cheapest one you can buy is the best one. These things get lost and
broken a lot.

Old April 27th 04, 02:14 AM
Stan Gosnell

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

After receiving the rating, I managed to find enough poor weather to
stay current w/o the foggles. In the meantime, I got a new pair of
glasses which dip less low below my natural sight-line than my
previous pair. That is, there's more uncorrected visual space when I
look down my nose, for example.

Those new tiny lenses may be stylish, but they're not very practical. I'm
still using larger lenses, although somewhat smaller than my old ones,
because the small lenses just aren't big enough for my variable bifocals
and looking straight ahead also. My bifocal lens is about the size of the
glasses they sell now, and I just can't live with that.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old April 27th 04, 03:20 AM
Journeyman

In article , Jeff Saylor wrote:
If you are a pilot who uses both a headset and eyeglasses, what IFR
trainng device works and fits best for you? The generic foggles, like

I had a generic hood that worked fine. It's a piece of curved plastic
with a strap that goes around your forehead. kind looks like the
brim of a baseball cap on 'roids. Unfortunately, despite their ability
to take extreme abuse, I wound up bending it so it wasn't really
usable.

Last year, I bought something called a 'Super Hood' (and I'm still
mad at Sporty's about it and won't buy from them). The hood is in
two parts. A kinda normal-looking brim, and a plastic piece that
clips to the brim. The nice thing about it is that the plastic piece
comes off easily when you get to the MDA/MAP and you can look at how
well you did. Then, when you go missed, you can clip it back on.
I'd recommend it if you can buy it from anyone else.

Morris
Old May 18th 04, 05:29 AM
Josef Burger

Jeff Saylor writes:

If you are a pilot who uses both a headset and eyeglasses, what IFR
trainng device works and fits best for you? The generic foggles, like
Sporty's sells? The Jeppesen JeppShades Flip-Up hood? A particular
model of hood?

I've tried most of the above and some others. Here are my views on
several of them...

1) If you are using David Clark or compatible design headsets the
_Hoodlamb_ is excellent. I leave mine permanently attached to my
DC headset, always ready for use. It works great with glasses, goes
on and off easily, and is not a hassle. A few minor problems with this
otherwise excellent device

I have older DC headsets with full-width stirrups, which is
what this is designed to work. It works well. Newer DC headsets
have narrow stirrups, and the manufacturers of the hoodlamb
don't provide a narrower "shoe" for these headsets. It is more
difficult to adjust it.

As I grow older I've found the nearness of the device to my eyes
to be somewhat intrusive. This really shows up in that it is
I no longer get a "crisp" seperation between my eyeline and
the panel. It is easy to get the hoodlamb cocked a bit and
delete portions of the panel from view from one eye. It is
also difficult to adjust the field-of-view because it is molded
plastic.

Because it blocks your _downward_ vision it makes using checklists
and reading appoach plates in your lap or on a kneeboard an
exercise in head movement which is bad in instrument flight. Or,
makes that manuever uncomfortable.

All that being said, I'd still be using my hoodlamb, and miss it
and its convenience ..but I'm using headsets it won't fit on.

2) The Jepp Shades are a great idea for a compact hood. Unfortunately
they don't allow wearing glasses -- they are much too close to one's
face. Also, when "unhoooded" the "visor" doesn't rotate upward
enough to remove itself from your peripheral vision. I find that
annoying. It might work ok with "small" glasses.

3) Super Hood. This is what I picked up to use on my noise-cancelling
headset. I find it does a good job of being a hood.

Because it doesn't block downward vision, it doesn't interfere
with checklists, charts, approach plates, and other such items.

You can readily modify your field of view by cutting the hood
to include things which should be in your field of view. It
is also easy to _add_ obstructions to the hood to block things
(such as the corner of a window) you would prefer not to see.

Because the "lip" is farther from your eyes it creates a crisp
transition between the hood and the panel. It is also quite
easy to position the "holder" on your head to keep exactly what
you want in view.

The "hood" slips off easily for conversion to VFR flight. It
takes more effort to put back on than the hoodlamb. I've
managed to leave it in the airplane a few times when "throwing"
it into the backseat when transitioning to visual from an
approach. Out of sight, out of mind.

Because of the size of its "snoot", my safety pilot(s) have
commented that they have more work to do to look around it
to get a good view past me. That is unfortunate, and something
you might want to consider in a higher-traffic area. When I
loaned it to people I fly with, it didn't seem worse than normal
to me... but if the "energy" ran out of my traffic watch , the
reduction in vision, esp peripheral, would be not great.

I like this thing, but I miss the hoodlamb for its readiness,
and convenience.

4) Foggles. I use these from time to time on an emergency basis.
I've been thinking of buying a pair for my students to use, since they
are more convenient to carry continuously than a conventional hood.

They don't work well with glasses -- at least the larger size
glasses I use. A friend who uses smaller "reading" type glasses
for looking at instruments seems to have no problem using them.

I don't like the gap in the headset seal they create. And the
extra noise which results.

That has been my experience with a variety of hoods over the last
several years. Hope it helps.

Bolo
--

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~bolo/ | -- Buckaroo Banzai