Headset

Old August 24th 04, 10:06 AM
Ingo Wolf

Default Headset

Hello,

I'm looking for an headset.
I've tryed an Lightspeed 20XL in an Motor Glider
and couldn't find it that silent I espect.
I tryed the good Quality passive Headset of the
other pilot and couldn't find it noticeable louder,
he tested mine and had the same opinion.
The cockpit communication sounded bether with
the Lightspeed but without ANR the Lightspeed
was louder.
I have no change to compare much headsets, has
somebody done?
I've also red some reviews in the net, but found
no real comparison.

Old August 24th 04, 10:41 AM
H.P.

Do you want a headset that is totally silent? Not possible unless the noise
reduction is shaped specifically to your plane's acoustical signature. That
will cost you thousands of dollars.

This might help you decide.
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/cont..._headsets.html
http://www.wings-aviation.com/ANR%20Kit/ANRKIT.html

Also, try one of these if you want to adjust the sound quality of your
passive headset. They'll require use of plug adaptors and a stereo to mono
converter. Use with ANR headsets may bring undesirable results but you
might try these anyway to experiment.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=2277601

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=33%2D1097

Old August 24th 04, 12:03 PM
Ingo Wolf

H.P. wrote:
Do you want a headset that is totally silent?

No but like I told I find that headset still loud,
especialy at that price, I can't find it silent.

But will have a look at your links

Thank You

Old August 24th 04, 12:20 PM
Ingo Wolf

H.P. wrote:
Do you want a headset that is totally silent? Not possible

unless the
This might help you decide.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/cont..._headsets.html

As fare I can see there are a lot of brands/modells
listet but no comparison.

Old August 24th 04, 06:20 PM
gatt

I've had good experience with a Telex Echelon that cost something like $165.
Comfortable, good audio and cheap, but no ANR. Recommended for people who
fly ~5 hours a week, FWIW. I'm flying more than that, but I like it a lot
better than my old David Clarke clone.
(Probably pointless, but I like hearing the engine too much to spend the
extra cash on ANR right now.)

-c

Old August 24th 04, 07:26 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "gatt" said:
(Probably pointless, but I like hearing the engine too much to spend the
extra cash on ANR right now.)

You should try an ANR headset in the cockpit some time - you can hear the
engine BETTER. Especially in a noisy 6 cylinder like a Lance.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Flying is the perfect vocation for a man who wants to feel like a boy, but
Old August 24th 04, 09:57 PM
Ingo Wolf

Paul Tomblin wrote:

You should try an ANR headset in the cockpit some time -

you can hear
the engine BETTER. Especially in a noisy 6 cylinder like

a Lance.

Because the prop is faded out or why ???

What kind of Headset do you use ???

Old August 24th 04, 10:02 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Ingo Wolf" said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
You should try an ANR headset in the cockpit some time -

you can hear
the engine BETTER. Especially in a noisy 6 cylinder like

a Lance.

Because the prop is faded out or why ???

Mostly because you're not being blasted by a wall of other noise. Unusual
sounds stand out better above the background.

What kind of Headset do you use ???

Dave Clark H10-13.4s with a Headsets Inc ANR conversion.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Don't even get me started on the MCSEs I know. It's a miracle of
Old August 24th 04, 11:20 PM
H.P.

Read what others say he

http://www.ipilot.com/forum/topic.aspx?fid=685

Try this too.
http://www.ipilot.com/forum/topic.aspx?fid=685

When I was looking into a headset I couldn't find a comparison either. So I
read reviews and tried to extrapolate conclusions. Good Luck.

Old August 25th 04, 08:54 PM
gatt

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message news:cgg186

(Probably pointless, but I like hearing the engine too much to spend the
extra cash on ANR right now.)

You should try an ANR headset in the cockpit some time - you can hear the
engine BETTER. Especially in a noisy 6 cylinder like a Lance.

Interesting. I was afraid it would block -out- the engine sound. One of
these days I'll get with the times, I guess.

=c