Dear Mary...

Old February 26th 04, 01:42 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

" wrote in message
ink.net...

You've proven that you are probably both. Try reading a
dictionary and studying a little anthropology.

Okey dokey.

mar·riage (mrj)
n.
1.
a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
b. The state of being married; wedlock.
c. A common-law marriage.
2. A wedding.
3. A close union: "the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in
mainstream comics" (Lloyd Rose).
4. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in
pinochle.

Old February 26th 04, 03:13 AM
Grantland

" wrote:

Now, I am rather hard pressed to come up with something that is an absolute
impossibility save that any behavior is impossible among the many and
diverse social-political-religious institutions of the world or that any
particular form of behavior by homo sapiens sapiens is impossible is as
close to impossible as one may find in the world.

Snark

You should just see what the homo sapiens get up to here in Africa!

wally
Old February 26th 04, 08:45 AM
Douglas Berry

Lo, many moons past, on Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:52:38 GMT, a stranger
called by some "Steven P. McNicoll"
came forth and told this tale in us.military.army

"Douglas Berry" wrote in message
.. .

Well, you're full of it.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q19425787

http://www.rnw.nl/society/html/main010815.html

http://www.equality.org.za/news/2003/01/31bmar.htm

So, you are lying, or just ignorant.

We can add Canada to the list.

They can declare that the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, but
that won't make it so.

Of course not. But since marriage is a legal state, those governments
can redefine it as they wish.

Before 1967 marriage between the races was illegal in many states.
Society didn't collapse when those marriages were made legal. Society
will survive this.

People like you? Civilization will leave you in the dust.

--

Douglas Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail

WE *ARE* UMA
Lemmings 404 Local
Old February 26th 04, 11:23 AM
Cub Driver

TMC's get certain perks, such as tax breaks and survivor benefits, based on
thousands-of-years-old religious ideas

Not really, given that the income tax in the U.S. is less than a
century old.

The idea wasn't religious but societal: married couples raise children
and need all the help they can get.

The funny thing is that the old fix (two individuals can share one
income) got fixed about fifty years ago so as to lessen the
discrimination against single individuals, with the result that now
that most married individuals are working, they pay more taxes than if
they were single.

About the only boon remaining for the marrieds is that they are not
subject to the $11,000 gift limitation that the rest of society is
supposed to be guided by. As John Kerry has demonstrated, your wife
can share her wealth with you without restriction.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old February 26th 04, 03:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Douglas Berry" wrote in message

Of course not. But since marriage is a legal state, those governments
can redefine it as they wish.

Why is marriage a legal state? What gives government the authority to
redefine it? Is marriage not older than government?

Old February 26th 04, 03:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Magda" wrote in message

Do a bit of research before telling the world how ignorant you are.

That's good advice. You should have heeded it yourself.

Old February 26th 04, 05:51 PM
Douglas Berry

Lo, many moons past, on Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:30:30 GMT, a stranger
called by some "Steven P. McNicoll"
came forth and told this tale in us.military.army

"Douglas Berry" wrote in message
.. .

Of course not. But since marriage is a legal state, those governments
can redefine it as they wish.

Why is marriage a legal state? What gives government the authority to
redefine it? Is marriage not older than government?

Not really. People did pair up, but the legal concept of being joined
in the eyes of the law is relatively recent.

There are two kinds of marriage: civil and religious.

Civil marriage is what you get when you file for the license, then
sign it along with the person who conducted the ceremony and a couple
of witnesses. You can be married by anyone who registers with the
state. My sister is getting married next week, and my brother will be
performing the ceremony. All it takes is the license fee (about $80
in my county) and being able to show that you understand the rights
and obligations of marriage.

Religious marriage is what you get in your church or synagogue. It is
separate from civil marriage, but the two are often taken care of in
the same ceremony. It doesn't matter is you have a full wedding mass
conducted by an Archbishop.. the state doesn't recognize the wedding
until that slip of paper is signed.

Since marriage does grant rights, it is unconstitutional to deny those
rights without due process of law (14th Amendment, Section 1) Here in
California, Article I, Section 31 of the State Constitution forbids
discrimination in public contracts, which includes marriage.

Now, I'd like you to explain what has happened to your life now that
over 3,000 gay couples have been married in San Francisco. Are you
married? I am, for almost 13 years now. My marriage is still solid
as a rock. What harm is being done? Explain it to me.

Old February 26th 04, 06:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

[...]

Who is being denied marriage?

Now, I'd like you to explain what has happened to your life now that
over 3,000 gay couples have been married in San Francisco.

By "gay couples" I assume you mean same-sex couples. No same-sex couples
have been married in San Francisco. Marriage requires persons of the
opposite sex. Homosexuals are free to marry persons of the opposite sex
just as heterosexuals are. No rights are being denied to anyone.

Are you married?

Yup.

I am, for almost 13 years now. My marriage is
still solid as a rock. What harm is being done? Explain it to me.

Harm is not the issue.