Anti-collision lights

Old July 31st 03, 03:53 PM
Grandpa B.

Default Anti-collision lights

Dang it! I deleted all the old messages from the newsgroup, and can't post a
follow-up in the existing thread. Double-dang!

Anyway, here's the answer to my own question about whether my Champ project
needs to have anti-collision lighting installed.

Short answer: No.

Not-so-short answer: The official FAA Type certificate is currently owned by
American Champion Aircraft, of Rochester, Wisconsin (I knew that). The
certificate was issued according to Aircraft Specification A-759, which has
all the old and current Champ-derived airframe types. Mine rolled off the
Champion assembly line in April of 1958, which was after the requirement for
lights, BUT, the type certificate was issued on March 27, 1957! That's good
news, as the requirement for anti-collision lighting states that, prior to
April 01, 1957, no anti-collision lighting is required. Under the wire by 3
(or 4) days, depending on how you count.

Now, does that mean it isn't a Good Idea to have strobes on an old aircraft?
Of course not! My night-time flying will be rare, though, and if I don't
gotta have 'em, I just might not install 'em.

By the way, I learned all this from the official FAA website, which has
everything you can possibly care about (and a lot you don't) on it.

Jon B.

Old July 31st 03, 06:27 PM
Ray Andraka

What is legal is not necessarily safe. Personally, when I'm flying at night I
want to make sure I am visible and I wish everyone else did too. Two (you can
see at most two from any angle that matters) steady and not very bright lights
may have been sufficient in the 1950's when there was little light on the
ground, but these days you might as well be flyng with all your lights off.
Hard to do see and avoid if you can't see what you are avoiding. Even just
mounting a single strobe on your tail would be a big improvement.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old August 1st 03, 02:41 AM
Michael C Finke

Jon,

Would you mind posting the precise directions to the material on the FAA website that answered this question for
you? I'm in a 1950 Pacer, same story, and haven't been able to find the specific language that would make me
legal.

Thanks,
Mike

Old August 6th 03, 05:41 PM
Grandpa B.

Mike:

I apologize for the delay; I just got back from a mini-vacation. No flying,
just driving, hiking and biking.

The Type Certificate info can be found at:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...keModel.nsf/Ma
inFrame?OpenFrameSet

For regulations regarding the lighting requirements, go to:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...visoryCircular
..nsf/1ab39b4ed563b08985256a35006d56af/94d4758b3f48035186256bf40064457d/$FILE
/AC20-30B.pdf

You may have to cut & paste the addresses, but this should get you close.

To address the legal vs. advisable issue: You are correct, Ray, in that
what's legal may not be a great idea. However... If I log 5 hours of night
flying in the next 10 years, I'll be amazed. I have logged zero in the last
9 years. I also tend to fly in un-congested, low-use airspace in rural
Minnesota, and will make forays into the wilds of South Dakota. I also tend
to inhabit airspace close to the ground, as Champs are low, slow fliers. I
appreciate your concern, but also feel it to be misplaced. I know more about
my flying that you do.

Jon B.

Old August 8th 03, 06:27 AM
Michael C Finke

[...]

[...]