OK -- Here's the Ultimate List of 90+ "Aircraft-Accessible Aviation Museums"

Old January 15th 04, 02:40 AM
Mike

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:GOdNb.65190$8H.105993@attbi_s03...
One question, shouldn't the Ottumwa, Iowa museum be listed as Blakesburg?

Well, good point. I went with Ottumwa because their webpage
(http://www.aaa-apm.org/) lists their location as "just West of Ottumwa,"
instead of "Blakesburg."

But, in retrospect, "Blakesburg" makes more sense. (And the name has
become pretty well-known in the aviation community...)

Thanks for the input!

Jay -

Another museum for the list is the Yankee Air Museum located on the
firld at Willow Run Airport (KYIP) in Michigan.
www.yankeeairmuseum.org

Mike
Old January 15th 04, 01:46 PM
Dan Thompson

OK, I can't let this pass. Your scenario cannot happen under US copyright
law. Moreover, Jay does not need to do anything to protect his work under
copyright law, as it is automatically protected. Any one interested in
learning how and why can check out www.copyright.gov I am not getting
dragged into further explanations of a flame war over this.

"Michael Nouak" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Don't know if you have or not but you might want to put a

copyright
on that document.

Why? To keep it from becoming too useful?

Yeah, that's kind of my feelings too, Kyler.

I didn't create the list for profit, after all. I did it because I

wanted
the list for myself -- and Jav Henderson is kind enough to provide

server
space so we can ALL share it. I'll be happy if people see it, use it,

copy
it, steal it -- whatever -- just so long as it promotes museums who

welcome
pilots!

Very noble, but will you be happy when someone steals it from you, puts
_his_ copyright notice on it, then tells _you_ that you can't use it
anymore, and _then_, just to add insult to injury, writes up a little book
he makes money with? I thought you were in the newspaper business? In

which
case you should know this kind of stuff happens... :-(

Mike

Old January 15th 04, 02:12 PM
Kyler Laird

"Michael Nouak" writes:

Very noble, but will you be happy when someone steals it from you, puts
_his_ copyright notice on it, then tells _you_ that you can't use it
anymore, and _then_, just to add insult to injury, writes up a little book
he makes money with?

Clearly Jay has documented (here) that he developed the list. He
has the copyright regardless of any registration.

I thought you were in the newspaper business? In which
case you should know this kind of stuff happens... :-(

Do you have an example?

--kyler
Old January 15th 04, 02:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Clearly Jay has documented (here) that he developed the list. He
has the copyright regardless of any registration.

Actually, YOU guys developed the list. I just compiled it into a usable
format.

For crying out loud, guys -- it's for all of us to use. I wouldn't think of
copyrighting it any more than I would copyright the "Rogue's Gallery."

Some horses are really just gifts, gentlemen. Don't look 'em in the mouth.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 15th 04, 11:06 PM
David CL Francis

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 at 04:39:46 in message
mK3Nb.54188$8H.102796@attbi_s03, Jay Honeck
wrote:

http://alexisparkinn.com/fly-in_aviation_museums.htm

I think this list of fly-in museums is by far the most useful I've found --
thanks for helping to create it, folks! Please check it over for accuracy,
and submit any additions/corrections you may find to me at

I have not had time to check all the web links (this whole endeavor has
ended up taking WAY too much time! ;-), so if you find any "dead" links,
please let me know...

You missed a couple of big ones in the United Kingdom.

The Royal Air Force Museum at Hendon London,
http://www.aboutbritain.com/RoyalAir...?RefID=1504172

The RAF Museum at Cosford Shropshire
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/index.cfm

Both museums can be found at:
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/

These are both large extensive museums; Cosford which is still an RAF
training base, is on a large site and has some large aircraft outside.
Hendon is on what remains of an old RAF base. Incidentally it used to
house the pre- WW2 RAF annual displays at which my father flew in 206
squadron in 1928, 1929 and 1930. I still have the hand painted squadron
Crest taken form the Fairy IIIf that he flew the most.
--
David CL Francis
Old January 18th 04, 07:48 PM
Dave Buckles

Jay Honeck wrote:

Clearly Jay has documented (here) that he developed the list. He
has the copyright regardless of any registration.

Actually, YOU guys developed the list. I just compiled it into a usable
format.

For crying out loud, guys -- it's for all of us to use. I wouldn't think of
copyrighting it any more than I would copyright the "Rogue's Gallery."

Some horses are really just gifts, gentlemen. Don't look 'em in the mouth.

Well, as long as we're armchair lawyering here, I may as well get in on
the act. My understanding of copyright law is this: a collection of
facts cannot be copyrighted. The presentation can. Therefore, knowing
that Bob Smith's phone number is 555-1234, and Jim Johnson's is
555-4321, is not copyrightable. However, if you were to put those two
into a directory, the presentation is copyrightable.

The existence and locations of these museums are data. That isn't
copyrightable. Jay put them into a list form and published it. That
format is copyright 2004 by Jay Honeck. He doesn't need to do anything
about it, doesn't need to register it, nothing; it's copyrighted merely
by fact that he wrote it (the presentation). There's nothing to stop
somebody else from using his list as reference material and coming up
with his own list, as long as he doesn't come too close to Jay's
copyrighted presentation, but the presentation must be his own.

As the copyright holder, Jay holds the rights to that presentation. He
can publish it freely, with permission for all to read, republish, and
sell, or he can say that it may only be reproduced with the appropriate
payment of royalties, and then only on 100% linen, acid-free paper with
a weight of at least 28lb and maximum dimensions of 4.25" x 6.75", using
only Waterman Florida Blue ink. Clearly, he's opted to go for something
closer to the former, because that's the great kinda guy that he is. As
the copyright holder, that's his right.

He could, as the copyright holder, explicitly put it into the public
domain; he would be relinquishing his copyright (on the presentation,
remember; the data don't belong to him), and nobody else would be able
to copyright it later (because it's public domain). There's no reason
for him to do so, or not to do so; clearly, he's willing to be friendly
and helpful about it, and putting it in the public domain would not give
the rest of us any benefits. It really doesn't matter here.

It goes without saying, of course, that I Am Not A Lawyer; I do,
however, occasionally watch one on TV. This legal advice is given free
of charge, and is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Copyright 2004 by David C. Buckles :-)

--Dave Buckles

http://www.flight-instruction.com

Old January 22nd 04, 04:07 PM
Model Flyer

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article ,
Rick Durden wrote:
Jay,

Ultimate???

Well, it *is* on a computer.

If it was done with ink-on-paper it might legitimately be referred

as *PEN*-ultimate. groan

It may not have been done with a PEN.:-)
--
---
Cheers,

Old January 24th 04, 02:05 AM
Ray Andraka

Jay,

I'd put the copyright notice on it and welcome links to it. You might as well
get
the advertising value out of the work you put in.

?
? Why? To keep it from becoming too useful?

Yeah, that's kind of my feelings too, Kyler.

I didn't create the list for profit, after all. I did it because I wanted
the list for myself -- and Jav Henderson is kind enough to provide server
space so we can ALL share it. I'll be happy if people see it, use it, copy
it, steal it -- whatever -- just so long as it promotes museums who welcome
pilots!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old January 26th 04, 01:16 AM
Gene Seibel

I found it similarly ironic when I flew to a few fly-ins with some
books to sell and found no other vendors flew in. Of course most
probably had way too much product to carry in an airplane, but you'd
think there'd be one or two.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:mK3Nb.54188$8H.102796@attbi_s03...
http://alexisparkinn.com/fly-in_aviation_museums.htm

I think this list of fly-in museums is by far the most useful I've found --
thanks for helping to create it, folks! Please check it over for accuracy,
and submit any additions/corrections you may find to me at

I have not had time to check all the web links (this whole endeavor has
ended up taking WAY too much time! ;-), so if you find any "dead" links,
please let me know...

Personally, I plan on frequenting those aviation museums that open their
front (or back) doors to the very people who make airplanes a part of their
lives -- we pilots. It's a terrible irony that so many aviation museums
keep the runway-side doors locked, and I plan on using this list to help put
money in the pockets of those curators who are enlightened enough to welcome
us with open hangar doors!