Audio Panel Recommendations

Old January 22nd 04, 02:05 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Audio Panel Recommendations

My Narco audio panel works just fine. However, the faceplate has been glued
back together twice by my avionics shop. (How it got broken in the first
place is anyone's guess...)

In the recent intense cold, the epoxy has let go again, so I think it's time
to replace the unit. Other than requiring the marker beacon lights/receiver
to be built-in, I have no prerequisites. Well, it would be nice if it fit
in the same hole without too much bother.

Any recommendations?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 22nd 04, 02:24 PM
Roy Smith

In article nMQPb.125135$na.126504@attbi_s04,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

My Narco audio panel works just fine. However, the faceplate has been glued
back together twice by my avionics shop. (How it got broken in the first
place is anyone's guess...)

In the recent intense cold, the epoxy has let go again, so I think it's time
to replace the unit. Other than requiring the marker beacon lights/receiver
to be built-in, I have no prerequisites. Well, it would be nice if it fit
in the same hole without too much bother.

Any recommendations?

Two features I've found useful in audio panels:

1) Integrated intercomm. No separate i/c box means less panel space,
fewer wires, less stuff to break, simplier operation.

2) Split operation (allows one pilot to use one radio while the other
pilot uses a different radio). The pilot flying can continue to talk to
ATC, while the PNF can get the ATIS, talk to flight service, etc,
without distracting the PF.
Old January 22nd 04, 02:33 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:
My Narco audio panel works just fine. However, the faceplate has been glued
back together twice by my avionics shop. (How it got broken in the first
place is anyone's guess...)

In the recent intense cold, the epoxy has let go again, so I think it's time
to replace the unit. Other than requiring the marker beacon lights/receiver
to be built-in, I have no prerequisites. Well, it would be nice if it fit
in the same hole without too much bother.

On the basis of no technical knowledge, but some personal experience with
customer service, plus lots of anecdotes from contributors to this newsgroup
(including you), why not start your search at PS Engineering?

I'm not an avionics person, but my impression of audio panels is that there is
no standardization and they are simply laboriously wired in soldered connections
and point to point wiring. I dont' think there exists any kind of slide-in
replacement for an audio panel, ever. I stand ready to be corrected.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:35 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
My Narco audio panel works just fine. However, the faceplate has been glued
back together twice by my avionics shop. (How it got broken in the first
place is anyone's guess...)
In the recent intense cold, the epoxy has let go again, so I think it's time
to replace the unit. Other than requiring the marker beacon lights/receiver
to be built-in, I have no prerequisites. Well, it would be nice if it fit
in the same hole without too much bother.

The audio panel is one of the most labor intensive pieces of avionics to
replace. This is because of the shear number of wires that must be
installed/hooked up (multiple wires from each of your other radios, plus
the speaker and the outputs to the headphones/intercom). Obviously, we're
not talking about 100's of wires, but there's still a lot. I wouldn't
replace an audio panel for cosmetic reasons. You'd be better off trying
to find a new faceplate.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old January 22nd 04, 02:46 PM
Greg Burkhart

Have you considered Jim's audio panel kit?
http://www.rst-engr.com/rst/catalog/audpnl.html I have thought of getting it
myself but in my plane, it's overkill.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:48 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
My Narco audio panel works just fine. However, the faceplate has been

glued
back together twice by my avionics shop. (How it got broken in the first
place is anyone's guess...)

In the recent intense cold, the epoxy has let go again, so I think it's

time
to replace the unit. Other than requiring the marker beacon

lights/receiver
to be built-in, I have no prerequisites. Well, it would be nice if it

fit
in the same hole without too much bother.

Any recommendations?
--

How much are you willing to spend?

Do you just want basic functionality, or do you need a major sound system to
keep your and the Missus' entertained?

Garmin 340 (basic) or PS Engineering PMA-7000 (more elaborate) both work
well for me.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:49 PM

Hi Jay,

You didn't say whether you're looking for new or used. If you already have
an intercom, then a cheap fix is to pick up a used KMA-20. You can usually
get a clean one on e-bay for around $200. This is what I did for my budget
panel upgrade. For a little more, you can get a decent KMA-24.

But since your reason for replacement is cosmetic, I'm guessing you want
something a little more modern. Personally, I'm a big fan of the PS
Engineering audio panels: http://www.ps-engineering.com/. I've flown with
these on various aircraft and have been impressed with the clarity and ease
of use. While you're at it, why not plop in a PAV80 with backseat display
for the kiddies

cheers,
mark

Old January 22nd 04, 03:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Jim's panel looks good, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but for:

1. I've already got the PS Engineering intercom built into my CD player. I
hunted around a bit, and couldn't find a version of Jim's audio panel
WITHOUT the intercom.

2. There is the obvious problem of me being clueless with regards to
building the thing. Make it out of wood, and I'll build it with dovetail
joints -- but electricity is a mystery to me.

Does Jim sell fully assembled stuff?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 22nd 04, 03:06 PM
Jay Honeck

Garmin 340 (basic) or PS Engineering PMA-7000 (more elaborate) both work
well for me.

They both look wonderful, but they have built-in intercoms. I've already got
the PS Engineering CD Player/Intercom, so it's sorta over-kill to buy
another intercom.

I guess all I really need is another Narco CP-136M, with a faceplate that
isn't falling off. (It's actually not just a cosmetic problem. The face
plate holds the push-buttons in, so -- with the left side of the faceplate
no longer attached to anything -- I am at risk of the pushbuttons actually
falling out. This is probably why gluing hasn't worked well -- there is
constant spring-loaded tension against the faceplate, from the pushbuttons.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 22nd 04, 03:07 PM
Marco Leon

When I did my research, the Garmin GMA 340 came out on top comparing price
vs. features. However, like othe posters ahve mentioned, the bulk of the
cost is in the labor so if it works fine, then make sure the benefit
justifies the cost for you.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com