Do you tip your A&P?

Old March 20th 05, 11:12 PM
Jeff

You know Peter what you say makes good sense. Back in the early 80's when I
got my A&P I was working for minimum wage for a small FBO in MO. He was
charging like $40 a hour for the work I did, but I was only getting $4 a
hour. I was young with very few expenses living at home with my parents
helping out on the farm. I was trying to build flight time so my boss did
help me out with a reduced airplane rental fee (basically paying for the
fuel plus a few bucks per hour). I was trying to gain experience. I always
did the best job that I could working on everyone's airplane and I think my
work was always appreciated.

Now that I am a little older (and wiser I think), I go out of my way to say
thank you to anyone that I encounter that goes above and beyond the call of
duty. It is usually in the form of a sincere thank you and letting them
know that they are doing a good job.

Jeff

"Peter R." wrote in message
Michael Horowitz wrote:

I imagine circumstances dictate this to some degree, but if your A&P
does some work for you, do you tip him? Percentage? - Mike

Not a tip per se, but I gave both of my mechanics money for a
end-of-year/Christmas gift.

In my case, the mechanics are not self-employed, but rather employees of a
large company. Thus, they are only paid a salary for the work they do on
my aircraft. The gift is my small way of thanking them for a year's worth
of honest business and good work.

--
Peter

Newsgroups
=----

Old March 21st 05, 02:45 PM
C J Campbell

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I imagine circumstances dictate this to some degree, but if your A&P
does some work for you, do you tip him? Percentage? - Mike

No. I am a little disturbed about the rapidly growing list of people
expecting a tip. In fact, I am outraged that so many people will not do the
job they are being paid to do unless they are paid an additional bribe. It
speaks volumes about the lack of professional integrity in society.

Still, you should tip me for sightseeing flights and instruction, etc. :-)

Old March 21st 05, 04:21 PM
RST Engineering

No, WE are the ones getting ripped off for one line of message followed by
fifty lines of unsnipped download bandwidth.

Jim

Old March 21st 05, 05:16 PM
W P Dixon

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
No, WE are the ones getting ripped off for one line of message followed by
fifty lines of unsnipped download bandwidth.

Jim

My apologies Lord Jim of Internet land! Must remember to snip must remember
to snip! Ok , I think I got it now!

Patrick

Old March 21st 05, 07:58 PM
Aaron Coolidge

In rec.aviation.owning Michael Horowitz wrote:
: I imagine circumstances dictate this to some degree, but if your A&P
: does some work for you, do you tip him? Percentage? - Mike

If he does exceptional, beyond the call of duty work I will tip him.
Especially as he does not charge his regular customers to borrow his
shop, tools, or expertise for short periods of time, nor does he charge
for inspecting work I have done and recording such in my logs.
--
Aaron Coolidge
Old March 21st 05, 08:02 PM
Sport Pilot

Even in the early 80's you should have gotten at least twice what you
were paid. Heck I worked on lawnmowers in the 70's for $5 per hour.

Old March 22nd 05, 04:02 AM
LCT Paintball

Even in the early 80's you should have gotten at least twice what you
were paid. Heck I worked on lawnmowers in the 70's for $5 per hour.

I started learning the tool and die trade in the mid 80's. I got $3.35 per
hour and walked to work in the snow, uphill, both ways!

Old March 22nd 05, 01:07 PM
Sport Pilot

LCT Paintball wrote:
Even in the early 80's you should have gotten at least twice what

you
were paid. Heck I worked on lawnmowers in the 70's for $5 per

hour.

I started learning the tool and die trade in the mid 80's. I got

$3.35 per
hour and walked to work in the snow, uphill, both ways!

Well I worked one spring and summer at Sears servicing and repairing
lawn mowers, which consisted mostly of changing the oil, replacing
points, and replacing bent crankshafts. Got $5.00 an hour for part
time work, then full time for a couple of months while going to
college. Maybe you guys went into the wrong trade?

Old March 22nd 05, 05:42 PM
Paul kgyy

At $80 an hour? Are you kidding?