The BIRDS

Old March 3rd 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default The BIRDS

On 2006-03-02, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Deer strike?

Before my time at Houston Gulf airport (before my time altogether
really, but not before my ancient CFI's time) a Cessna 150 had a cow
strike. It apparently totaled the plane.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...10X01711&key=1

Old March 3rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've heard of alligators on runways, guess they are soaking
up the heat from the warm concrete.
So you can hit a gator on the water with a seaplane or on
land, probably at night.

There is an airport located just east southeast of Wichita
Mid-Continent, known locally as Dead Cow International.

http://oolite-linux.berlios.de

Old March 3rd 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All airports should encourage hunters with shotguns, would
keep birds away and maybe some other evils, too.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
| Google for "bird strike video" and you'll see several
links

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...birdstrike.avi

Old March 3rd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote

There is an airport located just east southeast of Wichita
Mid-Continent, known locally as Dead Cow International.

That is because it is right next to a slaughter-yard, no?
--
Jim in NC
Old March 3rd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-03-02, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Deer strike?

Before my time at Houston Gulf airport (before my time altogether
really, but not before my ancient CFI's time) a Cessna 150 had a cow
strike. It apparently totaled the plane.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

While browsing NTSB reports on Piper Tomahawks ( I used to own one), I came
across a report of an accident where the aircraft had a forced landing in a
pasture. The pilot reported something like "It was a nice landing, with no
obstructions until a cow DARTED out in front of me." Needless to say, the
aircraft was destroyed or severely damaged, IIRC.

KB

Old March 3rd 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All airports should encourage hunters with shotguns, would
keep birds away and maybe some other evils, too.

Depends on the hunters. Airplanes are also prey.

Jose
Old March 4th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No, the airport official name is Westport, it is called Dead
Cow International because it is very close to ICT, which is
international (customs on the field) and they killed a cow
many years ago on the runway. Sort of an inside joke.

Old March 4th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

cow dart?

Old March 4th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Airplanes are not prey, but they can be targets. Back in my
hometown, Springfield, IL, the National Guard rifle range,
Camp Lincoln [dates from the Civil War period] is just a
mile south of the airport. The Guardsmen, from Chicago's
unit, were seen to be shooting at the airplanes in the
pattern. The fix for this was to close the range to
civilians who would be witnesses. This was in the time of
the draft and Viet Nam, I suppose the troops are better
trained and supervised today.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

et...

Old March 5th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

"Dylan Smith" wrote

Before my time at Houston Gulf airport (before my time altogether
really, but not before my ancient CFI's time) a Cessna 150 had a cow
strike. It apparently totaled the plane.

Cow walked away unharmed? g

Here in Oz we have bird, roo, pig, sheep, cow etc strike on a regular basis
but other places are worse the wildlife get you on preflight:

http://www.micom.net/oops/African%20preflight.jpg

--

regards

jc

LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety and/or
sanity of the author is not guaranteed

EMAIL - and are not valid email
addresses. news2x at perentie is valid for a while.

Fat Birds Bob Chilcoat Piloting 14 January 29th 06 01:27 PM
Freakn' Birds!! Jon Kraus Owning 6 June 27th 05 08:58 AM
Now the g*damned birds need transponders in the ADIZ R.L. Piloting 15 April 29th 05 10:49 PM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM