Sun 'N Fun ... not so, today!

Old April 1st 11, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Goddard

Default Sun 'N Fun ... not so, today!

Sun 'N Fun.... Looks like they had neither today!!!

http://tinyurl.com/4vlzvf4

Larry

Old April 1st 11, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Two words. Adequate tie-downs

Boggs.

Old April 1st 11, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Apr 1, 9:41*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Two words. * Adequate tie-downs

Boggs.

On Mar 31, 5:00*pm, "Larry Goddard" wrote:

Sun 'N Fun.... Looks like they had neither today!!!

http://tinyurl.com/4vlzvf4

Larry

i saw at least one picture of a totally destroyed airplane (Kitfox)
that was still tied down. the tiedowns pulled through the wings and
the tail was broken in half. Also heard reports from other aviation
webboards that many planes with popular robust tiedowns (like The
Claw) had the tiedowns pulled out of the ground. The ground looked
like totally saturated mud, i imagine it would be hard to tie anything
down in mud with an F1 tornado in the vicinity.
Old April 1st 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

On Apr 1, 8:11*am, Tony wrote:
On Apr 1, 9:41*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:

Two words. * Adequate tie-downs

Boggs.

I forgot to say how sorry I am that this storm damaged so many
beautiful ships My condolences go out to the owners. Poor tie downs
is one of my biggest pet peeves. A 30 inch auger will not pull up out
of the ground.

Old April 1st 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

holy cow...http://vimeo.com/21775121
Old April 1st 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 1, 10:41*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Two words. * Adequate tie-downs

Gary, one of my buddies who lives nearby had one of
his large trees removed in its entirety and deposited
in the middle of the street 1/2 mile away (roots and all).
I don't think tiedowns would have helped...

Yikes.
Old April 1st 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Logajan

GARY BOGGS wrote:
I forgot to say how sorry I am that this storm damaged so many
beautiful ships My condolences go out to the owners. Poor tie downs
is one of my biggest pet peeves. A 30 inch auger will not pull up out
of the ground.

It wouldn't matter; something else would give. Check out the comments of
those who were there, such as on this forum:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=70385

A couple relevant quotes:

"As for tie downs...It did not matter at all what you had..All the Zenith
and Huskies had The Claw...I saw some completelly pulled out of the ground
and the aircraft right next to untouched. i also saw lots of aircraft with
the cork screw type and same results.....Lots of videos on You tube,,,,you
can see the Zenith with the claw intact and the two others with the same
sytems upside down....one over the Eclipse!"

"anyone that has been to OSH or LAL knows that the first thing that happens
when you park is they come by and tell you tie down your aircraft...with
yours or their expensive ones. I don't think tiedowns and tornadoes are
compatible."