Hotellier connections

Old September 20th 04, 01:48 AM
Mike

Default Hotellier connections

I was watching my friend struggle with (AD required)safty wires for
Hotellier connectors on his recently purchased Pegasus. He said the
AD notes alternatives to the safty wires like the Wedekind sleeves.
Anyone know if these are retrofittable and where they can be obtained.
I'm sure this has been hashed out on RAS before but I'm new to the
group so apologize for the clutter. TIA:

Mike
Old September 20th 04, 02:36 AM
Jim Vincent

try contacting http://www.mandhsoaring.com/home.html

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam
Old September 20th 04, 03:57 AM
Mark Zivley

Is your friend using safety wire or is he using the wire clips that look
kinda like a safety pin? I know that it's tough in some gliders no
matter what you're using, but the safety pins we used in our LS-1 were
pretty easy to put in and latch even though it was a totally blind
operation. Lots cheaper too! If you like you can even tether the pins
so if they fall you don't lose them.

Old September 20th 04, 04:28 AM
Jim Vincent

From what I've read and heard, the best thing to do is get Wedekind.

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam
Old September 20th 04, 11:12 AM
Mark James Boyd

Mike wrote:
I was watching my friend struggle with (AD required)safty wires for
Hotellier connectors on his recently purchased Pegasus. He said the
AD notes alternatives to the safty wires like the Wedekind sleeves.
Anyone know if these are retrofittable and where they can be obtained.
I'm sure this has been hashed out on RAS before but I'm new to the
group so apologize for the clutter. TIA:

We put Pegasus Hotellier conections together last weekend: what a pain!
Could they MAKE the access cover any smaller? Hotelliers suck.
I think they just asked me to help because I have
tiny fingers :PPP

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old September 20th 04, 02:37 PM
Chris Reed

I retrofitted Wedekind sleeves to an Astir CS (or more accurately, got this
done as part of the annual Certificate of Airworthiness. As I recall, the
cost was about USD15 per sleeve, with a couple of hours labour (of an
expert) for fitting all four. There are about three different types for
different kinds of hotelier, so quoting glider type, model, year etc. is
essential.

Worth every penny, because (a) connecting took seconds per Hotelier, and (b)
I knew that the security of the connection couldn't work loose in flight,
unlike the R clips we used previously which *might* (though never did) fall
out of the hole in the wedge. R clips are OK for (a), once you get used to
fitting them by feel, but often your hands are greasy, or you're just
clumsy, or life is against you. Plus, what happens if you drop an R clip
(even if tied to wires they can slide out) - only 2% of the pilots I know
would have a spare!

I own an Open Cirrus which, like the Pegase, has Hoteliers behind the spar -
this has Wedekinds for those Hoteliers which is essential, as they can only
be connected by feel. Our club Pegase has Wedekinds.

I think this is a no-brainer.

om...

Old September 20th 04, 02:49 PM
mike fadden

I got the Wedekind sleeves from a guy by the name of Jurgen Nick (in
the US) four or five years ago. I remember his name but don't have an
e-mail or address for him. They're not difficult to install and made
life MUCH easier when connecting/disconnecting the controls on my
ASW15. They were about $25@, if I recall correctly.

Mike Fadden
Old September 20th 04, 04:08 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Are there types of L'Hotellier connectors that can't
use the sleeves?

A friend has an LS-4 with the sleeves (I guess they
are Wedekind) over his L'Hotellier's while my LS-1d
relies on safety pins in the 'wedges'.

It doesn't APPEAR that the sleeves can be used on the
type of L'Hotellier's in my glider, but I could be
wrong (a frequent occurance).

The safety pins are easy to attach, especially with
the adequately sized access hole in the turtle deck.
Could the safety pins come out? Possibly, but I don't
see how. Could the connections come loose even with
the safety pins properly in place? Possibly, but I
don't know how.

Is there any reason to retrofit the L'Hotellier's with
sleeves, if possible, rather than continuing to use
the safety pins?

Typically, I have the safety pins tied to the control
rods with dental floss. Sometimes, when removing a
wing, the safety pin snags on the fuselage and breaks
the dental floss. The pin drops into the fuselage
where I might or might not find it right away. Then,
I just go get a spare pin. To date, I have recovered
all 'lost' pins in the fuselage. Just a typical landing
or two of mine :-) shakes the pins out of their hiding
places so I can easily grab it through the turtle deck's
access hole.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
DG(LS)-1d
'W8'

At 14:12 20 September 2004, Chris Reed wrote:
[...]

. com...