Good for another 2 years

Old November 12th 05, 01:46 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Good for another 2 years

Got the 3rd class medical renewed a coupla days ago.

Blood pressu NORMAL.

Yeah, baby -- and without meds! Whoo-hoo!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 12th 05, 02:12 PM
Cecil Chapman

Congrats on the renewal on the 3rd class! BTW (as I'm sure you may have
discovered), losing any gut you may have accumulated through the years can
affect blood pressure appreciably. Mine was never high, but when I recently
worked at losing about 20 lbs - the blood pressure went down appreciably.

I have my Class 2 renewal in January and have been wondering what a
difference the presbyopia that I started noticing in low light a couple of
years back will make in my vision test. Thankfully my distance vision has
thus remained 20/20 and except for the low-light small text presbyopia
thing,,, my near vision is quite good.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman
CP-ASEL-IA

Student - C.F.I.

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old November 12th 05, 07:47 PM
Jay Honeck

I have my Class 2 renewal in January and have been wondering what a
difference the presbyopia that I started noticing in low light a couple of
years back will make in my vision test. Thankfully my distance vision has
thus remained 20/20 and except for the low-light small text presbyopia
thing,,, my near vision is quite good.

Yeah, my near-vision has gone completely to crap in the last few years.
I still don't wear bi-focals, but both my eye and medical doctors told
me that my days are, indeed, numbered.

I can't see diddly on a sectional anymore without holding it four
inches from my eyes. Can anyone recommend "progressive" bi-focals?
How about TRI-focals? Any benefit there?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 12th 05, 08:27 PM
jim rosinski

Jay Honeck wrote:

I can't see diddly on a sectional anymore without holding it four
inches from my eyes. Can anyone recommend "progressive" bi-focals?
How about TRI-focals? Any benefit there?

I have both progressives and lined bifocals. The progressives are
easier to get used to (no annoying line) and have a mid-range around the
middle of the lens that is good for things like looking at a computer
screen. The downside to progressives is the "sweet spot" for reading
(e.g. newspaper, sectional chart) covers a smaller area than the reading
part of a lined bifocal. For me this is a bigger problem than for most
because I lack binocular vision (learning how to land a plane took me
longer than most). Even though ophthamologists have told me that
progressives are a bad idea for folks like me with no depth perception,
I still use them because my job requires me to spend so much time
looking at a computer screen.

Can't beat a lined bifocal for reading. But I still don't use them
generally for walking around because the line is bothersome. Dunno how
some can get used to trifocals, but that's the only solution I know of
besides progressives for the "mid-range" (computer screen) issue.

Jim Rosinski
Old November 12th 05, 08:43 PM
J. Severyn

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

I can't see diddly on a sectional anymore without holding it four
inches from my eyes. Can anyone recommend "progressive" bi-focals?
How about TRI-focals? Any benefit there?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,
I've tried bifocals and had a big problem with the "line" where the two
different focal length sections of the lens intersect. This was after using
Varilux lenses for about 10 years. I had my doc order both my new Varilux
set and a bifocal set with the same prescription. I am nearsighted with a
required correction of -2.25 in one eye and -2.75 in the other eye.

I never could get used to the bifocal line so I never tried tri-focals. I
stayed with the Varilux. It is a love-hate relationship. The variable
focal length lenses have a small "sweet spot". They must be positioned
carefully on my nose and they are poor performers "off-axis" to the left or
right of center.

To adjust for the proper focal length, you must learn to nod your head
slightly.

So I need to swivel my head to directly view an object or scene, then
slightly tilt to get the proper focus. They work well, but I do more head
movement than the average Joe. YMMV

http://www.varilux.com/

Regards,
John Severyn
KLVK

Old November 12th 05, 09:38 PM
Sylvain

Jay Honeck wrote:
Got the 3rd class medical renewed a coupla days ago.

Blood pressu NORMAL.

Yeah, baby -- and without meds! Whoo-hoo!

:-)

what did you do that worked?

--Sylvain
Old November 12th 05, 10:36 PM
Jay Honeck

Got the 3rd class medical renewed a coupla days ago.
Blood pressu NORMAL.

Yeah, baby -- and without meds! Whoo-hoo!

what did you do that worked?

Lost 25 pounds. It's amazing what NOT carrying around the equivalent
of two bowling balls does for ya!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Pathfinder N56993

Old November 12th 05, 10:46 PM
Jose

Can anyone recommend "progressive" bi-focals?
How about TRI-focals?

I use a bifocal in one eye, with the line lower than usual by a few mm.
That way I have one eye with full distant vision and at one eye that
can read an approach plate. IT took some getting used to (both eyes
could use bifocals) and the optician did not want to give me that kind
of prescription (even though the doctor said it was fine). He died a
week later and the new optician gave me the lenses I wanted.

Progressives have a blurry area right in the middle, and trifocals have
narrow areas of good focus. That would bug me.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 12th 05, 10:48 PM
Jose

Can't beat a lined bifocal for reading.

I use a single vision lens for that. Or rather, for computer work.
Actually I need another pair for reading. That inch or two makes a
difference.

Maybe progressives would be nice for reading; they could go from
"computer distance" to "reading distance" over the course of the lens,
which is what one normally has to do when reading (the top of the page
is further away than the bottom)

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 12th 05, 10:49 PM
Sylvain

Jose wrote:
He died a week later and the new optician gave me the lenses I wanted.

couldn't you be more subtle in your approach? such as trying to dead
horse head in the bed technique first?

:-))

--Sylvain