Primus 1000 FMS brain damage

Old February 4th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

Default Primus 1000 FMS brain damage

In article ,
Sam Spade wrote:

I got the info.

What the crew told you was about right.

That model, as delivered from Cessna, is not RNAV-1 compliant.

It requires a couple of hardware mods/additions to become RNAV-1. So,
none of the RNAV stuff at RIL was avaiable to them.

Not the best configuration to dispatch to RIL in weather conditions.

Un-freakin-believable. They build a $5M plane and don't even put a
decent GPS in it? Why would anyone buy it?

Thanks for looking into that for me.

rg
Old February 4th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

In article ,
Sam Spade wrote:

Did you note that the SQUAT 26 DP doesn't have any flyover waypoints?

I'm not actually sure how to tell the difference. I wansn't even aware
that there was a distinction before this whole incident happened. In my
Cirrus I just select the procedure on the Garmin and hit the NAV button.
:-)

rg
Old February 4th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Ron Garret writes:

Un-freakin-believable. They build a $5M plane and don't even put a
decent GPS in it? Why would anyone buy it?

Because it's half the price of the same plane with the fancy avionics?
Old February 4th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Garret writes:

Un-freakin-believable. They build a $5M plane and don't even put a
decent GPS in it? Why would anyone buy it?

Because it's half the price of the same plane with the fancy avionics?

For that to be true, RNAV-capable avionics would have to cost $5M. You
can go to Cessna and buy a complete Garmin glass cockpit for about 5% of
that (and they'll throw in a nice carrying case called a 172SP as a
bonus).

rg
Old February 4th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Ron Garret wrote:
In article ,
Sam Spade wrote:

Did you note that the SQUAT 26 DP doesn't have any flyover waypoints?

I'm not actually sure how to tell the difference. I wansn't even aware
that there was a distinction before this whole incident happened. In my
Cirrus I just select the procedure on the Garmin and hit the NAV button.
:-)

rg

The flyovers have a circle around them. You need to know only to the
extent that with a FO the Garmin won't lead the turn.
Old February 4th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Sam Spade wrote:

I got the info.

What the crew told you was about right.

That model, as delivered from Cessna, is not RNAV-1 compliant.

It requires a couple of hardware mods/additions to become RNAV-1. So,
none of the RNAV stuff at RIL was avaiable to them.

Not the best configuration to dispatch to RIL in weather conditions.

Un-freakin-believable. They build a $5M plane and don't even put a
decent GPS in it? Why would anyone buy it?

Thanks for looking into that for me.

rg

From what I'm told, the airplane is fairly old from a GPS-equippage
standpoint.
Old February 5th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Ron Garret writes:

For that to be true, RNAV-capable avionics would have to cost $5M. You
can go to Cessna and buy a complete Garmin glass cockpit for about 5% of
that (and they'll throw in a nice carrying case called a 172SP as a
bonus).

A Garmin cockpit may go blank on you one day, and then you'll end up in a
mountainside. Avionics for commercial aircraft are somewhat more rigidly
tested and designed (although still not always well enough, in the case of
software).
Old February 5th 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Garret writes:

For that to be true, RNAV-capable avionics would have to cost $5M. You
can go to Cessna and buy a complete Garmin glass cockpit for about 5% of
that (and they'll throw in a nice carrying case called a 172SP as a
bonus).

A Garmin cockpit may go blank on you one day, and then you'll end up in a
mountainside. Avionics for commercial aircraft are somewhat more rigidly
tested and designed (although still not always well enough, in the case of
software).

Is that how it works in Flight Simulator, the Garmin unit fails and you
hit a mountain?

Bingo! Great game.
Old February 5th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Sam Spade writes:

Is that how it works in Flight Simulator, the Garmin unit fails and you
hit a mountain?

No. In simulation, avionics never fail unless that is a planned part of the
simulation. The problem arises in real life, where inadequately tested
software may cause catastrophic and unrecoverable failures.
Old February 5th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jon

On Feb 5, 4:23 am, Sam Spade wrote:

["context" removed, since any actual context had already been squelched]

Is that how it works in Flight Simulator, the Garmin unit fails and you
hit a mountain?

"This will end your Windows session. Do you want to play another
game?"

Bingo! Great game.

Indeed. I enjoy it more than MSFS.

Storm Damage john smith Piloting 0 June 23rd 06 10:05 PM
brain scan study on errors about to be made Jose Piloting 0 October 26th 04 12:40 AM
X-15 damage Paul F Austin Military Aviation 7 May 23rd 04 09:11 PM
No Damage History? CFLav8r Owning 26 January 13th 04 05:53 PM
Help me clear up my brain fart Ekim Piloting 63 November 13th 03 07:23 PM