Jon Johanson stranded in Antartica....

Old December 11th 03, 03:38 AM
John Ammeter

Default Jon Johanson stranded in Antartica....

Jon Johanson, known for his round the world flights in his
RV-4 as well as flights to Oshkosh may have some trouble
getting out of Antartica....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../adventurer_dc
Old December 11th 03, 10:35 AM
Rob Turk

"John Ammeter" wrote in message
Jon Johanson, known for his round the world flights in his
RV-4 as well as flights to Oshkosh may have some trouble
getting out of Antartica....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../adventurer_dc

The story even made to Uber-geek site www.slashdot.org
Rob

Old December 11th 03, 12:41 PM
Cam

On behalf of all normal Kiwi's . I appologise for our sick burocratic
politcaly correct government *******s (Bitches)
Cam..........

"John Ammeter" wrote in message
Jon Johanson, known for his round the world flights in his
RV-4 as well as flights to Oshkosh may have some trouble
getting out of Antartica....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...=10&u=/nm/2003
1210/od_nm/adventurer_dc

Old December 11th 03, 03:11 PM
Jimmy Galvin

You can offer all apologies all you want but only for yourself. Don't talk
for me. I feel that he took a chance for glory, self promotion, stupidity,
or whatever and ended up with his tit caught in the wringer. It is not up to
me and my tax dollars to bail his sorry ass out of the jamb he inflected on
himself. This goes for all those fools that climb mountains, trek through
caves, or go exploring in the woods relying on a GPS with 1/2 dead batteries
to guide them along. They should all just be left to their own devices and
hopefully receive a Darwin Award for their efforts.

Old December 11th 03, 03:34 PM
ET

"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in
:

You can offer all apologies all you want but only for yourself. Don't
talk for me. I feel that he took a chance for glory, self promotion,
stupidity, or whatever and ended up with his tit caught in the
wringer. It is not up to me and my tax dollars to bail his sorry ass
out of the jamb he inflected on himself. This goes for all those fools
that climb mountains, trek through caves, or go exploring in the woods
relying on a GPS with 1/2 dead batteries to guide them along. They
should all just be left to their own devices and hopefully receive a
Darwin Award for their efforts.

Yeah, but to not even sell the guy fuel is bad form......

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old December 11th 03, 04:08 PM
BllFs6

While 80 gallons or so of fuel may not be much...we must ask a few things....

Can the base really spare it? (though I suspect that they could.....)

Secondly......while the fuel may only be a buck or 2 a gallon....its REAL cost
down in Antartica is probably ALOT more....wouldnt surprise me if its 10 to 50
times more in real cost (those Antartic cargo lifts dont come cheap).....just
as a gallon of water is free but once you get it into orbit its LITERALLY worth
about 80,000 dollars (NASA should start sending up midgets to save costs)

My main question would be....he had to know that there was a FAIR chance he
would have to turn around and refuel....but did he even BOTHER to check with
officials at various bases if he could sleep there or get fuel and food if he
needed to?

If he didnt EVEN do that I say screw em...

maybe give him the fuel at its real cost if they can spare it....but give him a
10 to 20k $ "stupidity/arrogance" charge if he never bothered to ask before he
took off...

take care

Blll
Old December 11th 03, 04:19 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:34:57 GMT, ET wrote:

"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in
:

You can offer all apologies all you want but only for yourself. Don't
talk for me. I feel that he took a chance for glory, self promotion,
stupidity, or whatever and ended up with his tit caught in the
wringer. It is not up to me and my tax dollars to bail his sorry ass
out of the jamb he inflected on himself....

Yeah, but to not even sell the guy fuel is bad form......

AVweb quotes an EAA staffer in saying that they don't even stock avgas down
there. What's needed is space on a cargo plane for hauling it down there,
and I suspect there's more too it than just throwing some jerry cans on a
pallet.

Even so, it sounds like the NSF is being its old hidebound self. There's a
good book out, written by an ex-Navy pilot who used be one of the Hercules
pilots down the _Flying Upside Down_, by Mark A. Hinebaugh. He really
makes the NSF (the agency in charge of US operations in Antarctica) sound
like a bunch of idiots.

Ron Wanttaja
Old December 11th 03, 04:52 PM
nafod40

Jimmy Galvin wrote:
You can offer all apologies all you want but only for yourself. Don't talk
for me. I feel that he took a chance for glory, self promotion, stupidity,
or whatever and ended up with his tit caught in the wringer. It is not up to
me and my tax dollars to bail his sorry ass out of the jamb he inflected on
himself.

Hi Jimmy,

This guy's out there pushing the bounds of what Man can do, and doing it
with homebuilt aircraft no less, and you're squawking about gallons of
gas. You sound like those chicken%$# NASA 'crats that told our
astronauts not to talk to Denis Tito on the ISS. What a bunch of
tight%^& jerks. It's said to me that the ultimate obstavle to Jon's
flying over the pole is not headwinds, but $#%holes.

This goes for all those fools that climb mountains, trek through
caves, or go exploring in the woods relying on a GPS with 1/2 dead batteries
to guide them along. They should all just be left to their own devices and
hopefully receive a Darwin Award for their efforts.

You should receive a "One Foot In The Grave" award for leading your life
of quiet desperation.

Old December 11th 03, 04:56 PM
Jimmy Galvin

He was not welcome in 1989 and apparently things have not changed. If he
inquired 1st he probably would have been denied permission to land. So he
went on his merry way figuring that if he got in trouble he would just force
himself on them. He is getting the hospitality he deserves. They should just
push his plane off the strip and let it become another "Glacier Gal".
"ET" wrote in message
"Jimmy Galvin" wrote in
:

Old December 11th 03, 05:07 PM
Rich S.

"BllFs6" wrote in message

While 80 gallons or so of fuel may not be much...we must ask a few

things....

snip

That must have been SOME headwind to burn an extra 80 gallons. . .

Rich S.