Tire inflation pressure

Old November 8th 03, 10:25 AM
*Barnyard BOb*

Barnyard BOb -- wrote:

Don't be such a tight ass, anon.

Pot...kettle...black.

- anon

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My ass isn't so tight that I must remain anonymous.

I can't imagine anyone having to resort to your
cowardice or fear ****ing down their own pant leg
over anything so inconsequential.

Pitiful.
Pitiful.
Pitiful.
What a spineless pussy you be.

Barnyard BOb --
The more people I meet,
the more I love my dog...
and George Carlin humor.

Old November 8th 03, 12:52 PM
Whunicut

Another poster's comment to "blow 'em up
until the sidewalls come off the ground" is, of course, idiotic.

Hmmm, frivolous and a bad joke maybe but idiotic??
You remind me of the guy that came over to the hangar looking for an air
bottle. When I handed him a bicycle pump, he wanted to know how it clamped onto
the valve stem. Then proceeded to tell me what pressures to use on the
oxy-acytelene tanks.
You cant find your ass with both hands but you are first in line to tell
everybody else how to do it.
Soooo, screw you, you pompous, arrogant, anonymous coward, net-nazi.

Warren,
WWII, Korea and
The Battle of Norfolk

Old November 8th 03, 01:03 PM
Whunicut

Why, Sir, that makes you the honored alpha male most
beloved curmudgeon here. We got one who's been dickin' around for 50, so
you got him beat.

Donno if thats something to be proud of or not.
Time seems to speed up as you get older and birthdays come as an unwelcome
surprise.
If Ol Doc Plemmons passes my physical in a couple years, I`ll be close to
Joining Gene W as an Octogenarian pilot.
Scary.

Warren,
Look out below!

Old November 8th 03, 01:19 PM
anon

*Barnyard BOb* wrote:

My ass isn't so tight that I must remain anonymous.

If you want to publicly recommend specific tire pressures for a
specific experimental airplane type and expose your assets to possible
litigation for as long as Google archives the message then have at it.
For me, a nom de plume was the only way it was going to happen. This
limits my exposure to about 1/2 year.

- anon

Old November 8th 03, 02:54 PM
Ben Haas

Hey, that BOb is sooooo happy he is using my name ....I will post the
thread where BOb got honest with us about 50 years of accident free
flight.It is titled HI VIS Paint, For your reading pleasure and a good
laugh read the whole thread to see BOb unravel and back peddle. I
cannot wait to see what new heading he will use with my name in it.
G.....
B. B. wrote in message . ..

Another related question: both mains tend to loose air slowly - would
be flat after about 3 months sitting. Is this typical or should I get
new tubes?

Try new valve cores.

Del Rawlins-

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Wish I could go as long as 3 months.

I've been informed that AIRCRAFT tubes
are manufactured from GENUINE RUBBER.....
and are porous by their very nature.

I've also been told Michelin tubes leak the least.
Dunno, but wouldn't bet the farm on this rumor.
They_ARE_ expensive.

Try the valve cores, but chances of BOTH
being the cause of you problem is slim to none.
If it doesn't help, at least it's a cheap education.

Barnyard BOb --
Over 50 years of successful flight...
Eat your heart out, BEN HASS. ---

Old November 8th 03, 03:48 PM
Mark Hickey

anon wrote:

(VideoFlyer) wrote:

45 lbs??? 55 lbs for the nose gear??? That seems awfully high. Those tires
will be hard as a rock. I guess I'd prefer a little softer tire to land on. I
rarely put in more than about 15 to 20 lbs. 5 lbs will "get the sidewall off
the ground."

You obviously don't have experience with 5.00-5 tires on a 2,250 lb
gross weight canard aircraft or you wouldn't be spewing such
ignorance. The pressures I gave are correct for the tires, weight,
and configuration. 15 to 20 psi 5.00-5 tires would be grossly under
inflated on that airplane. The nose tire inflation of 55 psi is also
correct. Think before you post, people.

Consider that a pneumatic tire supports the weight by the air pressure
that's in it - and that the contact patch of the tire is approximately
the weight on the tire in pounds divided by the pressure in psi. That
means on the hypothetical plane above (2,250 pounds, 15psi), the
contact patch (total) for the three tires would be around 150 square
inches. That's 50 square inches per tire, which on a 5.00 tire is
otherwise known as "a flat".

Mark Hickey
Old November 8th 03, 04:24 PM
anon

Mark Hickey wrote:

Consider that a pneumatic tire supports the weight by the air pressure
that's in it - and that the contact patch of the tire is approximately
the weight on the tire in pounds divided by the pressure in psi. That
means on the hypothetical plane above (2,250 pounds, 15psi), the
contact patch (total) for the three tires would be around 150 square
inches. That's 50 square inches per tire, which on a 5.00 tire is
otherwise known as "a flat".

Mark Hickey

Agreed. More accurately, however, for this airplane there would be
about 1000 lb on each main at gross weight which, as you note, would
result in very flat 5.00-5 tires at 15 psi. The 45 psi recommendation
is correct.

- anon

Manifold pressure gauge problem Dave Russell Aerobatics 3 January 29th 04 03:46 AM
Nosewheel Shimmy and Scalloped Tire Redux, Plus Larry Smith Home Built 2 September 15th 03 04:03 PM
Scalloped Nosewheel Tire Larry Smith Home Built 7 September 12th 03 09:16 PM
Fuel pressure Problems smf Home Built 3 September 7th 03 08:25 PM
Pressure Differential in heat Exchangers Bruce A. Frank Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 05:18 AM