A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

PowerFLARM dipole installation in LS6

Old September 15th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default PowerFLARM dipole installation in LS6

Anyone out there managed to fit a PF dipole onto an LS-6/8 panel? The clearance between my panel cover and the canopy is less than the height of the dipole (everywhere), so unless I mount it way off center (strongly discouraged in the installation notes) it aint gonna fit.

My temp solution will be to mount the dipole at the edge of the panel, as high as possible, accepting some loss due to the bottom of the dipole being a bit below the top of the panel. I guess I could also drill a hole in the panel cover and let the bottom of the dipole stick down into the panel area. Neither seems very elegant...

Wondering how others are solving this puzzler.

And waiting for that good old american know-how to come up with a better solution!

Kirk
Old September 15th 12, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Kirk,

Not sure about the LS6/8, but Rex Mayes (Williams Soaring) came up with a great location for Schleicher gliders like my ASH26E. As the nose has no carbon fiber, and there's room ahead of the rudder pedals to allow the antennas to be mounted away from metal, they are attached with Velcro one on each side. Reports indicate they work well there.

bumper

Old September 15th 12, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I concur with Bumper.
I have an LS-8 which has the same fuse as LS-6. No carbon in fuse. You can have the antennas buried inside the fuse without any issues.
Old September 15th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 14, 2012 5:58:52 PM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
Anyone out there managed to fit a PF dipole onto an LS-6/8 panel? The clearance between my panel cover and the canopy is less than the height of the dipole (everywhere), so unless I mount it way off center (strongly discouraged in the installation notes) it aint gonna fit. My temp solution will be to mount the dipole at the edge of the panel, as high as possible, accepting some loss due to the bottom of the dipole being a bit below the top of the panel. I guess I could also drill a hole in the panel cover and let the bottom of the dipole stick down into the panel area. Neither seems very elegant... Wondering how others are solving this puzzler. And waiting for that good old american know-how to come up with a better solution! Kirk 66

I have a variety of antenna kits on my web page this one may fit your needs..

1/4 Wave Dipole Antenna with bulkhead mount 2.3" from bulkhead to top of Antenna 24" cable

http://www.craggyaero.com/cables_&_antennas.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com