PowerFLARM dipole installation in LS6

Old September 15th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default PowerFLARM dipole installation in LS6

Anyone out there managed to fit a PF dipole onto an LS-6/8 panel? The clearance between my panel cover and the canopy is less than the height of the dipole (everywhere), so unless I mount it way off center (strongly discouraged in the installation notes) it aint gonna fit.

My temp solution will be to mount the dipole at the edge of the panel, as high as possible, accepting some loss due to the bottom of the dipole being a bit below the top of the panel. I guess I could also drill a hole in the panel cover and let the bottom of the dipole stick down into the panel area. Neither seems very elegant...

Wondering how others are solving this puzzler.

And waiting for that good old american know-how to come up with a better solution!

Kirk
66
Old September 15th 12, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Kirk,

Not sure about the LS6/8, but Rex Mayes (Williams Soaring) came up with a great location for Schleicher gliders like my ASH26E. As the nose has no carbon fiber, and there's room ahead of the rudder pedals to allow the antennas to be mounted away from metal, they are attached with Velcro one on each side. Reports indicate they work well there.

bumper

Old September 15th 12, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I concur with Bumper.
I have an LS-8 which has the same fuse as LS-6. No carbon in fuse. You can have the antennas buried inside the fuse without any issues.
Old September 15th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, September 14, 2012 5:58:52 PM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
Anyone out there managed to fit a PF dipole onto an LS-6/8 panel? The clearance between my panel cover and the canopy is less than the height of the dipole (everywhere), so unless I mount it way off center (strongly discouraged in the installation notes) it aint gonna fit. My temp solution will be to mount the dipole at the edge of the panel, as high as possible, accepting some loss due to the bottom of the dipole being a bit below the top of the panel. I guess I could also drill a hole in the panel cover and let the bottom of the dipole stick down into the panel area. Neither seems very elegant... Wondering how others are solving this puzzler. And waiting for that good old american know-how to come up with a better solution! Kirk 66

I have a variety of antenna kits on my web page this one may fit your needs..

1/4 Wave Dipole Antenna with bulkhead mount 2.3" from bulkhead to top of Antenna 24" cable

http://www.craggyaero.com/cables_&_antennas.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

PowerFLARM updates and installation notes Dave Nadler Soaring 66 June 7th 12 09:10 PM
PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 04:30 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 09:32 AM
Dipole Transponder Antennas Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 7 April 17th 09 06:10 AM