Circular Runway

Old April 7th 04, 06:47 PM
Rob Perkins

Stefan wrote:

There's more about Switzerland than the Alps, you know...

Matter of fact, since I had domiciles in Bern-BE, Itingen-BL,
Zuerich-ZH, and Interlaken-BE, I do know that. Got to wear the
Fascnacht pin for Liestal in 1990 and everything. Basel-Land is one of
my favorite places.

Arolla in in the Canton Valais. You go to the town Sion and then follow
a little valley which points to the south, direction Matterhorn. At the
very end of that valley you'll find Arolla. You needn't be too
disappointed if you don't find it on your map, as it's a really really
really small village.

Ah, OK. Well, the only visit I was able to make to Wallis was a train
ride to Zermatt. I've got my old rail map around here someplace...

That's where I'm living. You worked for the chemistry, I guess?

No, I was a missionary/teacher for a small church in each area where I
lived, in 1989-1990. I met a lot of people that way.

In any case, I don't doubt it's possible, just that it'd be really
difficult on any road the Swiss build except the Autobahn.

Yes, those runways are on the Autobahn.

OK.

Take a look at http://www.steehouwer.com/ (scroll to the bottom and
choose Swiss Air Force, Axalp). Some of those pictures are impressing.

I remember watching a film at the Verkehrshaus in Lucerne, about the
stunt flyers in the Swiss Air Force. I didn't think it was that
impressive until someone pointed out they weren't in fly-by-wire
airplanes. Based on that, they're better than the Navy Blue Angels,
*especially* given the mountains around them.

Rob
Old April 7th 04, 10:16 PM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:49:22 GMT, Rob Perkins
wrote:

Can't find Arolla on my map. Which Canton is it in? I found Airola, in
Ticino, and Arosa, in Graubuenden, two cantons which in spite of my 16
months there, I never managed to visit. I spent most of my time in
Basel.

It's a dinky town on the Haute (ski) Route from Chamonix to Zermatt.
We got weathered out and had to give up, so took the bus down from the
mountains. It seems to be in Valais, a bit NW of Breuil/Cervinia in
Italy. I think Arolla is the name of a pine tree.

In any case, I don't doubt it's possible, just that it'd be really
difficult on any road the Swiss build except the Autobahn. And even
then, they'd have to be great pilots in any case to operate in those
mountains...

Evidently they are, to judge by the Air&Space article referenced
earlier

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 8th 04, 03:46 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Rob Perkins wrote:

FWIW, I've heard similar things about a stretch of highway outside of
Frankfurt.

The Luftwaffe used numerous sections of the autobahn for runways in WWII. Typically,
they hid the aircraft in forests near the road and pulled out on the highway for
departure. American pilots found many of them by following the German fighters back
home.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 10th 04, 08:26 PM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:59:06 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

FWIW, I've heard similar things about a stretch of highway outside of
Frankfurt.

http://www.lostplaces.de/nlp/index.html

Fascinating! Thank you!

(That the removable centerline barriers can still be seen!)

Old April 11th 04, 10:15 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 15:26:15 -0400, Cub Driver wrote:

FWIW, I've heard similar things about a stretch of highway outside of
Frankfurt.

http://www.lostplaces.de/nlp/index.html

Fascinating! Thank you!

(That the removable centerline barriers can still be seen!)

AFAIK we (here in Austria) have also some parts of our highway (Autobahn)
built to serve as emergency landing strip for our - uhhmmm - "airforce".

#m

--
A far-reaching proposal from the FBI (...) would require all broadband
Internet providers, including cable modem and DSL companies, to rewire
Old April 11th 04, 10:22 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 15:26:15 -0400, Cub Driver wrote:

(SCNR; have to send this *g*)

Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org

Little David was in his 4th grade class when the teacher asked the children
what their fathers did for a living.
All the typical answers came up -- fireman, policeman, salesman, doctor,
lawyer, etc.

David was being uncharacteristically quiet, so the teacher asked him about
his father.

"My father's an exotic dancer in a gay cabaret and takes off all his
clothes in front of other men and they put money in his underwear.
Sometimes, if the offer is really good, he will go home with some guy for
money."

The teacher, obviously shaken by this statement, hurriedly set the other
children to work on some exercises and took little David aside to ask him,
"Is that really true about your father?"

"No," said David, "He works for the Kerry Election Campaign,
but I was too embarrassed to say that in front of the other kids."

--- f-up2poster

#m

--
A far-reaching proposal from the FBI (...) would require all broadband
Internet providers, including cable modem and DSL companies, to rewire
their networks to support easy wiretapping by police.
http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5172948.html

Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Instrument Flight Rules 117 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep C J Campbell Owning 114 July 22nd 04 05:40 PM
F15E's trounced by Eurofighters John Cook Military Aviation 193 April 11th 04 03:33 AM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM
Moving violation..NASA form? Nasir Piloting 47 November 5th 03 07:56 PM