Emergency Procedures

Old April 9th 04, 04:39 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"RD" wrote in :

How many of you have memorized all the emergency procedures. The only
one I really know is the engine failure procedure. I have to admit, if
any other emergency was to develop I think I'm unprepared and it's
time I do some re-familiarization of procedures.

On a side note, I'm a bit confused about a partial engine failure. Say
the engine loses a valve and runs VERY rough. Should I continue flying
with that engine in hopes of making a runway, or shut the engine down
to prevent it from ripping itself off the airplane and turning me into
a large paper weight.

Thanks,
Ryan

In a partial engine failure, you can move from one emergency landing site
to the next until you make it to an airport. As long as you are
continuously in a position to make an off field landing and the nearest
airport is not in a built up area, I wouldn't write off the idea of
flying towards an airport.

As for the engine coming off due to vibration, it depends on the extent
of the vibration. I doubt that a broken rod or valve would cause enough
vibration to break the engine mounts. I've read some accident reports
where even a broken prop blade did not rip the engine off.

Old April 9th 04, 06:23 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

"RD" wrote in :

[...]

I hyad it happen, in a Bonanza, 42 years ago, going out of Albuquerque.
It shook pretty badly above about 1700 RPM, so we declared an emergency
and asked for the 13000 ft runway. We actually taxied in and could hear
the wheezing sound. I still have the piston and valve pieces.

First rule:

FLY THE DAMN AIRPLANE!
Old April 9th 04, 07:40 AM
MLenoch

Two years ago, I had a piston rod break. It tore the engine in two halves;
only the crank shaft held the case together. It was a test flight. It failed
right over the airport fortunately. So a dead stick was relatively easy.
Prior to that event, I would often pracitice dead stick landings. It came in
handy that day. No sweat, until I got out of the plane when adrenalin surged
out!!
VL
Old April 11th 04, 08:25 PM
SelwayKid

"RD" wrote in message ...
How many of you have memorized all the emergency procedures. The only one I
really know is the engine failure procedure. I have to admit, if any other
emergency was to develop I think I'm unprepared and it's time I do some
re-familiarization of procedures.

On a side note, I'm a bit confused about a partial engine failure. Say the
engine loses a valve and runs VERY rough. Should I continue flying with that
engine in hopes of making a runway, or shut the engine down to prevent it
from ripping itself off the airplane and turning me into a large paper
weight.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan
I've suffered a number of partial power failures in both fixed wing
and rotorcraft, single and multi engine. With a single engine, if you
have a favorable landing spot and you feel you can do it safely, make
a precautionary landing. If there is no favorable landing area close
by, keep going until you find one, or an airport to land at. Why take
a poor landing area and turn it into a possible accident site when the
engine may carry you farther. Of course if it quits cold you have
little choice but to make the best of a bad situation.
A valve failure generally results in a noticable drop in rpm or engine
sound and is confirmed with a quick mag check or carb heat check. It
might be something besides a valve failure. I've had throttle control
failures that did not fit under the general check list procedures.
Once my rpm dropped to about 2000 in a Piper Pawnee while spreading
seed and I was about 15 miles from my strip. It made it back OK after
I got rid of my load but I sure kept the best options open to land if
it quit. I didn't know the problem until I got it on the ground. I've
had valve failures in helicopters and got them on the ground quickly
in a clear area, again while spraying. Have had power loss due to
heavy induction ice in the form of snow and was able to get it to an
airport at night over the Rocky Mtns.
Have had bad fuel and was able to limp to an airport using my primer
knob to keep fuel going into the intake and the same with severe carb
ice. Have had throttle cables come clean out of the panel on a power
reduction but fortunately that was on short final! Have had oil
pressure loss due to loss of oil and was able to limp to an airport
again with the best optional landing area in view as I progressed
along.
Bottom line is to evaluate your best options and take action. That
doesn't always mean to make an immediate landing and wreck the
aircraft and perhaps yourself with it! Off airport landings are
fraught with obstacles and hazards that may not be apparent until you
are committed and you find out the hard way.
Much better to ruin an engine than the whole aircraft and its
occupants.
Best of luck in your flying career and hope you never have to see how
good your procedures are in an actual emergency.
Ol Shy & Bashful