Dumping Flying Magazine

Old April 9th 04, 07:44 PM
Jay Honeck

I like Flying. I get many of the mags out there as most are pretty cheap.
got 3 years of flying for $36; if I only read one article per issue, it's
worth it. Lane Wallace is a terrific writer. Very colorful, one of the

best
GA writers out there. I think Jay appreciates her because of his English
degree. That says a lot.

Yeah, that's it! I like her, um, "English"...

Heh, heh, heh...

Ahem. Carry on.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 9th 04, 08:16 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

I should be so lucky when I'm in my 70s.

It's easy. He always writes the same article over and over again.
"There I was flying from Hagerstown to Kansas..."

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 9th 04, 08:16 PM
Thomas Borchert

Javier,

My beef with aviation magazines in general is that every airplane and
product featured gets a positive review, no matter what. Flaws are
minimized, virtues are extolled to no end.

Try Aviation Consumer.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 9th 04, 09:36 PM
Robert M. Gary

I agree with you about Flying but its about the only mag I think is
worth reading. The EAA mag is too technical for bathroom reading.
AOPA's Pilot is just too much "following the FARs and AIM and you'll
be the world's best pilot", it seems to not be objective. The IFR mags
get to be repeat themselves too much and I lost interest a couple
years after having my IFR ticket. We really need another Len Morgan.
He wasn't all touchy-feely like Gordon and Wallace but he has the old
time stores that were great (I bought a book of his collections from
the mag a while back). I think they were hoping that Tom Block would
become that but he didn't seem to want to write about the old airline
days. Although the DC-3 drivers are all dead, we'd still like to read
about the old 727 days of hitting the runway on go around, etc type
stores. The young airline guy is interesting but I like the old
stories.

-Robert

(Dave) wrote in message . com...
Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?
Why does it seem that all I read about are trip reports from Mac and
Dick Collins that, personally, offer little educational value? Each
of these guys write serveral articles per issue. Are they that hard
up for good writers, or do these guys just like to write everything
themselves? When I open AOPA Pilot, Flight Training, Private Pilot,
Plane and Pilot, etc. I find a good balance of education, reviews, and
good tidbits. All I feel I've gained from reading Flying is knowing
every detail of what's in the Avionics stack of Mac's Barron and
Dick's Cessna P210.

Old April 9th 04, 09:58 PM
Rosspilot

What's all the fuss over Lane Wallace? Are you talking about sex appeal?

http://www.airventure.org/forums/pre...resenterID=895

I guess not my type . . .

www.Rosspilot.com

Old April 9th 04, 10:07 PM
Jay Honeck

What's all the fuss over Lane Wallace? Are you talking about sex appeal?

Yes. In-person she has a warmth and magnetism that's hard to quantify.

And she's an excellent writer.

And she's a pilot and aircraft owner.

That's what I call "The Whole Package". (I married the only other one like
her in the whole world! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 9th 04, 10:12 PM
Frank

Dave wrote:

Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?
Why does it seem that all I read about are trip reports from Mac and
Dick Collins that, personally, offer little educational value? Each
of these guys write serveral articles per issue. Are they that hard
up for good writers, or do these guys just like to write everything
themselves? When I open AOPA Pilot, Flight Training, Private Pilot,
Plane and Pilot, etc. I find a good balance of education, reviews, and
good tidbits. All I feel I've gained from reading Flying is knowing
every detail of what's in the Avionics stack of Mac's Barron and
Dick's Cessna P210.

I still subscribe. I do think Flying spends too much time on the bizjet side
of things though.

Dick Collins is a bit pedantic in his writing style, but I value his
opinions, even if I don't always agree. His critcal looks at safety issues
are some of the best counterpoints to the FAA propaganda and I doubt there
is anyone with more insight into weather.

--
Frank....H
Old April 9th 04, 10:17 PM
Rosspilot

AOPA Pilot is mediocre but its volume of stuff makes it worthwhile as you
are bound to find one or two interesting articles per issue.

I always read "Never Again" in AOPA Pilot.
And the letters from members . . . and I drool over the articles on
refurbishing the sweepstakes plane, almost like dreaming of winning the
lottery. I generally read Boyer's position page, and that's about it for me.

www.Rosspilot.com