Tips for new IFR pilot?

Old November 3rd 04, 03:50 AM
Tlewis95

Default Tips for new IFR pilot?

Hello

Does anyone have any tips for a new Instrument Pilot (me)

I did my first flight today (C77-UGN-C77) And about 45 minutes of it was in
IMC. It was kinda cool. My first appoach was missed due to a late (6mi) turn by
ATC but the next 2 were probably 6-8 out of 10. It was the ILS 23 ant Waukegan
in Illinois in a ERAU Cessna 172S. Any tips would be appresiated.

Thanks!

Trace Lewis
www.cafepress.com/iwanttofly
Old November 3rd 04, 05:05 AM
Brad Zeigler

"Tlewis95" wrote in message
Hello

Does anyone have any tips for a new Instrument Pilot (me)

Yep, Get your private certificate and instrument rating when you turn 17.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:00 AM
Matt Whiting

Tlewis95 wrote:
Hello

Does anyone have any tips for a new Instrument Pilot (me)

I did my first flight today (C77-UGN-C77) And about 45 minutes of it was in
IMC. It was kinda cool. My first appoach was missed due to a late (6mi) turn by
ATC but the next 2 were probably 6-8 out of 10. It was the ILS 23 ant Waukegan
in Illinois in a ERAU Cessna 172S. Any tips would be appresiated.

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you felt was deficient about
your approaches. I'm not sure what you mean by a 6 mile turn. Do you
mean 6 miles outside the FAF? 6 miles from the runway?

Matt

Old November 3rd 04, 05:56 PM
Rich

Tlewis95 wrote:
Hello

Does anyone have any tips for a new Instrument Pilot (me)

I did my first flight today (C77-UGN-C77) And about 45 minutes of it was in
IMC. It was kinda cool. My first appoach was missed due to a late (6mi) turn by
ATC but the next 2 were probably 6-8 out of 10. It was the ILS 23 ant Waukegan
in Illinois in a ERAU Cessna 172S. Any tips would be appresiated.

Thanks!

Trace Lewis
www.cafepress.com/iwanttofly

Yes!
Form a couple of alliances with fellow pilots willing to be safety
pilots and FLY IMC regularly! If you can't get actual, use the hood.
Plan to practice at least once a week. You will probably find that the
best you will do is once or twice a month.

I've found, in the 35 years I've had my rating, it takes EVERY BIT of
trying to stay current to do it.

I hear more stories of rated pilots who just sort of let it go, and
drift out of currency, and fret about getting it back, and worry about
an IPC and don't use their rating. USE IT! USE IT REGULARLY, and you
will be confident, will continue to learn about weather and ATC, and
WILL HAVE FUN flying IFR and IMC.

Rich

Old November 3rd 04, 09:07 PM
Tlewis95

The 6 mile turn means we blew throught the localizer and my situational
awarness was off and I was not ahead of the airplane. So we flew back to the
NDB at the OM and went from there. Also, I see how staying ahead would help and
will try that on my next flight.
Old November 3rd 04, 11:13 PM
Matt Whiting

Tlewis95 wrote:

The 6 mile turn means we blew throught the localizer and my situational
awarness was off and I was not ahead of the airplane. So we flew back to the
NDB at the OM and went from there. Also, I see how staying ahead would help and
will try that on my next flight.

As someone else said, probably the single best thing is to attain and
maintain situational awareness. If you can't say your position with a
mile or so at any point in time, then you are in trouble. The main way
to get there is practice. I remember during my training feeling like I
was always doing something on an approach. After flying in the system
for 5 years, I actually found myself bored while flying an ILS. I'm
just back after a 4 year layoff and haven't yet attained the boredom
stage again.

Matt

Old November 4th 04, 01:41 AM
vincent p. norris

Does anyone have any tips for a new Instrument Pilot (me)

In addition to the good tips posted above, learn as much about
meteorology as you can.

Practice partial panel. Practice NDB approaches. Practice partial
panel NDB approaches.

Even if you never have to shoot a partial panel NDB approach, the
practice will make you a better instrument pilot.

vince norris
Old November 4th 04, 03:21 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 11/2/04 10:50 PM, in article
, "Tlewis95"
wrote:

Hello

Does anyone have any tips for a new Instrument Pilot (me)

I did my first flight today (C77-UGN-C77) And about 45 minutes of it was in
IMC. It was kinda cool. My first appoach was missed due to a late (6mi) turn
by
ATC but the next 2 were probably 6-8 out of 10. It was the ILS 23 ant Waukegan
in Illinois in a ERAU Cessna 172S. Any tips would be appresiated.

Thanks!

Trace Lewis
www.cafepress.com/iwanttofly

I'm probably not much ahead of you in terms of IFR experience, but I have a
'checklist' that is constantly evolving as I fly. Most of it consists of
housekeeping items that I should remember to do when I'm enroute and have a
few moments to spare.

The latest tip I received from this group I think, was putting the MDA for
your next approach on a stickie note on the panel.

The last item I added was info about using Clearance Delivery via phone
instead of trying to get my clearance on the ground at an airport where
communications with Atlanta can be spotty sometimes.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic