Info on Mosquito

Old February 27th 12, 07:06 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default Info on Mosquito

Okay folks, help me out here. How about some of you old timers weigh in on the Mosquito. Handling? One man rigging? Possible dollar range? Let me know what you think, I don't know squat.

Walt
Old February 27th 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Walters[_2_]

--
Walt Connelly

Walt

I beleive the Mosquito and Mini N share the same wing and both have
automatic control hookups, which is a real plus. Very roomy cockpit
and a good handling ship. I have never cared for the flap/divebrake
setup on the Mosquito and early Ventus. It is hard to adapt to the
feel, but the effectiveness is second to none.

Richard Walters
Old February 27th 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

wrote:
Okay folks, help me out here. *How about some of you old timers weigh in
on the Mosquito. *Handling? *One man rigging? *Possible dollar range?
Let me know what you think, I don't know squat.

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Walt

I beleive the Mosquito and Mini N share the same wing and both have
automatic control hookups, which is a real plus. Very roomy cockpit
and a good handling ship. I have never cared for the flap/divebrake
setup on the Mosquito and early Ventus. It is hard to adapt to the
feel, but the effectiveness is second to none.

Richard Walters

I loved my Mosquito. Flies as well as anything from the era as long
as it's well sealed (like the Ventus). It is, bay far, the easiest
rigging glider I've seen, though the wings are a bit heavy as compared
to the new ships. I enjoyed the flap/divebrake system and you can
land precisely and very short. The approach is steep with it all
hanging out, which surprises a lot of people. As well, people tend to
land them a little hot at first - but once you have the speeds in the
right range, it's a pussycat. The wheel brake lever on the A model
(located just in front of the stick) isn't a great location, but you
get used to it. Ergonomics are great and the cockpit is huge.
Everyone I spoke to who had owned one or flown one had happy
memories. IMHO, you can't beat the bang of the buck. ~$25-30k for
one in good shape, depending on instruments and trailer. Closer to
$22k or so if it's a little rougher.

The type is still supported and parts available: http://www.streifly.de/home-e.htm
These are some of the guys that are supporting the Concordia!

Cheers,

Derek
Old February 27th 12, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Feb 27, 12:06*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
Okay folks, help me out here. *How about some of you old timers weigh in
on the Mosquito. *Handling? *One man rigging? *Possible dollar range?
Let me know what you think, I don't know squat.

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Hi Walt

Have you checked with the swarm?

Old February 27th 12, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

What the others noted, with added belief that the canopy mechanism
takes more getting used to than the flap/brake combination.
Jim
Old February 27th 12, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
marco haakm

On Feb 27, 10:09*pm, JS wrote:
What the others noted, with added belief that the canopy mechanism
takes more getting used to than the flap/brake combination.
Jim

I am not an owner but have flown quite a few hours on the glider. It
is very easy to handle. Performance might be a bit off compared to
other gliders of the era, certainly Venti or ASW20. This probably is
important for a few. But there is plenty of performance left. I do not
know your current experience but with a bit of plastic hours on your
log you should have no issues with flying it. Canopy indeed is a bit
of a trick. And when this thread becomes longer people may warn you
for the flaps. But just try them and maintain your speed. For a first
time only pull them at the edge of the airfield (not before) and put
the glider down (providing the field has a fair lenght). This will
help you to understand the effectiveness from which you can start
playing/learning. My record has been a decent at around 25 m/s (true
vertical) at a 180 kph stable speed (so vertical 50 knots; ias 100
knots). Great fun!
Old February 27th 12, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You're never too high in a Mosquito. With that trailing edge, you can fly
straight down without exceeding the redline. I've done it. As for lacking
performance, here's a flight I did last summer in a borrowed ship:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=2054684

Old February 27th 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Jardini[_2_]

I used to own the one tested by Dick Johnson. What every one else
said, great ship. They are a bit heavy being polyester epoxy ships and
stoutly built, about 7+ lbs wing loading unballasted, and not the best
light air climbers. Never flew it with water. I never heard of someone
not liking the handling.

mj

Old February 27th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Simon France

Big cockpit, good handling, good brakes, push-button trimming,
parallelogram stick(not twitchy even at VNE). I rig it single-
handed with two trestles and a wing root dolly.

Si

At 21:45 27 February 2012, Dan Marotta wrote:
You're never too high in a Mosquito. With that trailing edge,

you can fly
straight down without exceeding the redline. I've done it. As

for lacking

performance, here's a flight I did last summer in a borrowed

ship:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...ightinfo.html?

dsId=2054684

Old February 27th 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
marco

http://vimeo.com/8482592 showing a mosquito ;-)

R-22 vs Mosquito Stuart & Kathryn Fields Rotorcraft 15 May 12th 08 04:25 PM
Mosquito Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 21st 07 07:47 PM
I Want a Mosquito..... Shiver Rotorcraft 5 January 30th 06 05:27 AM
POSA Carb Info and HAPI Engine Info Bill Home Built 0 March 8th 04 08:23 PM
Starting new info site need info from the pros MRQB Piloting 7 January 5th 04 03:20 AM