Oops... Airliner lands at the wrong airport...

Old June 20th 04, 11:52 PM
Richard Kaplan

Default Oops... Airliner lands at the wrong airport...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/0....ap/index.html

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old June 21st 04, 12:18 AM
BTIZ

NWA now in search of new pilots...

Lets see...
RAP is south of the Interstate.. and SE of the City...
RCA is North of the Interstate.. and NE of the City..

RAP is 14-32, 8700x150
RCA is 13-31, 13,500x300

RAP has a cross wind runway.. near the north end
RCA does not..

RAP, all terminals are west of the airport and centrally located
RCA, the MAIN RAMP is east of the airport.. with what looks like a small
town that is the air base

BT

s.com...

Old June 21st 04, 05:30 AM
Jerry Windrel

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message ws.com...
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/0....ap/index.html

I seem to remember an incident of a commercial flight landing at
Amman, Jordan instead of Tel Aviv, Israel, which is a pretty serious
snafu. Am I remembering right? I remember thinking that the crew had
to have been thouroughly unfamiliar with the area, since the Tel Aviv
airport is just a few miles from the Mediterranean coast and Amman is
in a desert landscape 60 or so miles inland. I once heard of a GA
pilot almost mistaking Beirut for Haifa (which would be an even worse
mistake), but at least they're both near the sea.
Old June 21st 04, 01:51 PM
OtisWinslow

NWA has an excuse though because they'll just print a big write up in
their magazine saying that there were GA planes in the way and that
made them have to land at the AFB and that all those pesky GA planes
should be banned.

Old June 21st 04, 02:18 PM
EDR

In article , OtisWinslow
wrote:

NWA has an excuse though because they'll just print a big write up in
their magazine saying that there were GA planes in the way and that
made them have to land at the AFB and that all those pesky GA planes
should be banned.

I would like to know what the controller at Ellison Approach was doing
instead of monitoring his/her scope and what the tower controller at
Rapid City was doing when he/she didn't see the aircraft as it called
inbound.
Old June 21st 04, 03:29 PM
Nathan Young

Nice!!!

Old June 21st 04, 04:10 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote:

NWA has an excuse though because they'll just print a big write up in
their magazine saying that there were GA planes in the way and that
made them have to land at the AFB and that all those pesky GA planes
should be banned.

It seems to be the major "thought curve" of the MBA schools, right after
"bean counting", is "excuse making".

Old June 21st 04, 05:52 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

It seems to be the major "thought curve" of the MBA schools, right after
"bean counting", is "excuse making".

Judging from the experience of my wife and sister, both of whom have MBA or MTS
degrees, this is not taught. As far as I can tell from my own experience, it's either
a natural talent some people have, or it comes as on-the-job training.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 21st 04, 06:44 PM
Peter Duniho

"EDR" wrote in message
I would like to know what the controller at Ellison Approach was doing
instead of monitoring his/her scope and what the tower controller at
Rapid City was doing when he/she didn't see the aircraft as it called
inbound.

It's possible that ATC had the wrong destination listed for the aircraft. I
was vectored onto the wrong final approach course on an arrival into the
Dayton, OH area one time. ATC thought I was going to a different airport
than where I actually was.

Of course, in my situation, when the vector took me away from the localizer
I was supposed to be intercepting, I pointed that out to ATC and we
straightened everything out. ATC made a mistake, but it surely would have
been my fault if I'd landed at the wrong airport.

The pilot is the one responsible for making sure the airplane goes where
it's supposed to, not ATC.

Pete

Old June 21st 04, 06:46 PM
Peter Duniho

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
It seems to be the major "thought curve" of the MBA schools, right after
"bean counting", is "excuse making".

[...] As far as I can tell from my own experience, it's either
a natural talent some people have, or it comes as on-the-job training.

It's a cultural fact, at least in the US (and probably lots of other
places). It's never your fault...there's always an excuse in which someone
else is to blame.

In other words, it's a "natural" (culturally taught) talent most people
have.

Pete