Glass panel upgrade to a Turbo Arrow?

Old March 8th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Glass panel upgrade to a Turbo Arrow?

The avionics on a Piper Turbo Arrow (PA28RT201T) are approaching
retirement age.

Does anybody know if there's a glass panel upgrade (a la G1000)
for the Turbo Arrow? Any STC's needed?

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Old March 8th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Right now your only option is the Chelton system. The G1000 and the Avidyne
PFDs do not have any STCs for production aircraft.

You can, of course, convert the Arrow to an experimental certificate...

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 8th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message
Right now your only option is the Chelton system. The G1000 and the
Avidyne
PFDs do not have any STCs for production aircraft.

Do you mean "older" production aircraft??
http://www.avidyne.com/oems/piper.shtm

Old March 8th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Do you mean "older" production aircraft??
http://www.avidyne.com/oems/piper.shtm

Yes, but technically I'm still accurate because even the "new" aircraft will
not have an STC. One can't put an Avidyne into a 2005 that had steam gauges
as original equipment.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 9th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message
Right now your only option is the Chelton system. The G1000 and the

Avidyne
PFDs do not have any STCs for production aircraft.

You can, of course, convert the Arrow to an experimental certificate...

Marco

And how would you go about converting it to an experimental certificate? I
asked how to do it before & people said cannot be done or very hard to do.
There is a nice twin I would like to put on an experimental certificate.

Steven L. Rhine
CP ASEL & AMEL Instrument Airplane
CFI (Student)

Old March 9th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

NW_PILOT wrote:
"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message

Right now your only option is the Chelton system. The G1000 and the

Avidyne

PFDs do not have any STCs for production aircraft.

You can, of course, convert the Arrow to an experimental certificate...

Marco

And how would you go about converting it to an experimental certificate? I
asked how to do it before & people said cannot be done or very hard to do.
There is a nice twin I would like to put on an experimental certificate.

Steven L. Rhine
CP ASEL & AMEL Instrument Airplane
CFI (Student)

Thank you.

At least here (Finland) it will void the capability
to fly IFR, and what good is the IFR upgrade without
permission to fly IFR?

--

Tauno Voipio, CPL(A) ME-IR
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Old March 9th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

And how would you go about converting it to an experimental certificate? I
asked how to do it before & people said cannot be done or very hard to do.
There is a nice twin I would like to put on an experimental certificate.

Steven L. Rhine
CP ASEL & AMEL Instrument Airplane

I read that thread Steven and if I remember correctly, the only way you can
put a certified aircraft on an experimental certificate would be for
purposes of research and development. It would also require yearly
justifications on why it can remain on that certificate.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 10th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I would guess that the cost of installing a full Chelton system in an
older Arrow would exceed the value of the airplane. Let me know when
you have it done, though - there's about a 50% return on avionics
upgrades at time of resale so sounds like a great deal for the next
owner... :-)

Old March 11th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Paul kgyy wrote:
I would guess that the cost of installing a full Chelton system in an
older Arrow would exceed the value of the airplane. Let me know when
you have it done, though - there's about a 50% return on avionics
upgrades at time of resale so sounds like a great deal for the next
owner... :-)

Have not decided yet what to do - just charting
the terrain ...

Maybe I just rebuild the radio stack and let the
rest be just a dream.

--

Tauno Voipio (PA28RT201T, OH-PYM)
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Old March 12th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 10-Mar-2006, "Paul kgyy" wrote:

I would guess that the cost of installing a full Chelton system in an
older Arrow would exceed the value of the airplane.

A good PA28RT-201T (Turbo Arrow IV) with mid-time engine is probably worth
about $90K or more these days. Not sure what the full Chelton treatment
runs, but I suspect it's well below $45K. At any rate, if you are planning
to keep the airplane for a number of years the resale value of your avionics
investment is not a big deal. Get what you want and can afford.

-Elliott Drucker