Unusual classified ad

Old August 4th 05, 06:53 PM
George Patterson

Matt Barrow wrote:

Especially after about five beers during Happy Hour!

Buffalo girls, won'tcha come out tonight, come out tonight, ....

George Patterson
Old August 4th 05, 07:33 PM
Maule Driver

For some unknown reason, I'm craving some chicken and a salad....

Adam Aulick wrote:
Will
trade for bison or meat. 651-345-xxxx after 6 p.m.

That's a lot of meat!

Old August 4th 05, 10:36 PM
john smith

Adam Aulick wrote:
What's a live adult bison go for? The National Bison Association says
they have a wider diet than cattle.
http://www.bisoncentral.com/index.php?s=&c=63&d=73&a=1022&w=2&r=Y
If they eat honeysuckle and sumac shoots maybe I could support a couple
in my back yard instead of buying all those freezers.

I was told by someone who was looking to purchase a couple head, that
the only person you can buy them from is Captain Couragous (aka - Ted
Turner).
Old August 5th 05, 06:26 PM
S Herman

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:48:38 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Montblack" wrote in message
"Nathan Young"
Wanted: Older 2-4 place high wing aircraft in flyable condition. Will
trade for bison or meat. 651-345-xxxx after 6 p.m.

That is hilarious!

Except when you've given up your Tri-Pacer, only to get Beefalo in return.

http://www.ababeefalo.org/

Hold out for moose meat. Best meat I've *ever* eaten. Not elk - moose!!

Caribou!! :~)

You must have had some good caribou. I lived in Fairbanks, AK for a
couple years and had the opportunity to hunt & eat just about every
Alaskan game meat, moose, caribou, black bear, snowshoe hare, duck &
goose, ptarmigan, grouse. My recipe for caribou was to get some beef
fat from the local butcher, mix it 50/50 with the caribou and grind it
into burgers :-) the only part of the caribou that I could eat was the
back strap (loin filet) and it was still very lean & difficult to
prepare. Maybe it was just the local herd. Moose is very good -
similar to beef, a bit leaner. The best game meat in Alaska was
without a doubt the Dall Sheep. I never hunted them, it's for the very
dedicated hunter/mountain climber, but I had several friends who were
nuts for them & shared the meat - very good stuff. BTW - in the mid
70's a resident Alaska hunting license was $7. That got you 1 moose
per year, and daily bag & possession limits on most everything else
except Brown & grizzly bear (which are not noted as table fare). As I
recall, the limit on caribou was 6 per DAY.

Old August 5th 05, 06:46 PM
Neal

Jim Burns wrote:

If you need corn, how about 450 acres worth, over 90 semi loads.

Heck, I'd even keep your names a listed insured on the Bonanza. )

Jim

I wonder how much whisky you could make from that much corn ;-)

Old August 5th 05, 07:02 PM
George Patterson

Neal wrote:

I wonder how much whisky you could make from that much corn ;-)

The Park Service used to have an exhibit outside of Cherokee. As I recall, the
recipe was 5 bushels ground corn, 1/2 bushel cracked corn, and 1/2 bushel
cracked rye. Place in 50 gallon barrel, fill with water, and drive in the bung.
After 2 weeks, place in 60 gallon still and cook it down. If the bung pops out
before 2 weeks is up, cook it down then. Makes about 5 gallons. That would be a
little less than 1 gallon of 160 proof sour mash whiskey per bushel.

George Patterson
Old August 5th 05, 07:05 PM
George Patterson

S Herman wrote:

As I
recall, the limit on caribou was 6 per DAY.

That limit was intended to provide for those people who kept dog teams. I've
read that one team will eat 150 caribou each year.

George Patterson
Old August 5th 05, 11:30 PM
Montblack

("S Herman" wrote)
[snip]
BTW - in the mid 70's a resident Alaska hunting license was $7. That got
you 1 moose per year, and daily bag & possession limits on most everything
else except Brown & grizzly bear (which are not noted as table fare). As I
recall, the limit on caribou was 6 per DAY.

(From the Minnesota DNR "Moose" License page)
Beginning in 1991, the moose hunt is "once in a lifetime." Licensees from
1991 - 2004 will not be eligible for future moose hunts.

A special moose license application preference lottery has been established
that will allow applicants with at least 10 recorded unsuccessful
applications to participate in a special selection for up to 20 percent of
the available permits. It will be based on DNR records of unsuccessful
applications since 1985. All party members must meet this qualification to
be eligible. Prior to that time, records of unsuccessful applicants were not
kept. Applicants not drawn in the separate selection will be included in the
general license drawing.

One tip from my friend, the moose killer: "Try to shoot your moose near a
road!!! Those suckers are "huge" and take forever to pack out of a swamp."
He got his up in NW MN, sort of by Canada.

Apparently 900lbs is a good size MN bull moose. 1,800 lbs seems to be the
size of Alaska's big bull moose - so in Alaska, maybe wait till he's
crossing a road before you open fire.

Montblack

Old August 5th 05, 11:49 PM
Mark Hansen

On 8/5/2005 15:30, Montblack wrote:

("S Herman" wrote)
[snip]
[...]

.... but why would he cross the road? ... oh ... nevermind ;-)

Montblack

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old August 6th 05, 07:18 PM
10Squared

Montblack wrote:

One tip from my friend, the moose killer: "Try to shoot your moose near a
road!!! Those suckers are "huge" and take forever to pack out of a swamp."
He got his up in NW MN, sort of by Canada.

If you can't get one by the road, butcher it on site and cut the meat into
thin slices and hang up to dry. When the flies quit landing on it, it's
ready.

-Heloise