Clup prop

Old November 12th 03, 01:48 PM
Corky Scott

Default Clup prop

I'm looking for a club prop I can use to break in/test an engine. I
could use a regular prop I suppose, but the engine will be on a test
stand and I'd rather have something with a reduced diameter for
safety.

The engine will be producing around 180 to 190 hp and I'd like to be
able to run it up to full power/rpm for extended periods. Maximum
prop rpm will be 2400. The prop hub has a standard bolt pattern.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks, Corky Scott
Old November 12th 03, 04:04 PM
Rich S.

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
I'm looking for a club prop I can use to break in/test an engine. I
could use a regular prop I suppose, but the engine will be on a test
stand and I'd rather have something with a reduced diameter for
safety.

The engine will be producing around 180 to 190 hp and I'd like to be
able to run it up to full power/rpm for extended periods. Maximum
prop rpm will be 2400. The prop hub has a standard bolt pattern.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Hook it to a generator and sell the electricity to the local power company?

Rich "Waste not, want not" S.

Old November 12th 03, 07:31 PM
Russell Kent

Corky Scott wrote:

I'm looking for a club prop I can use to break in/test an engine. I
could use a regular prop I suppose, but the engine will be on a test
stand and I'd rather have something with a reduced diameter for
safety.
The engine will be producing around 180 to 190 hp and I'd like to be
able to run it up to full power/rpm for extended periods. Maximum
prop rpm will be 2400. The prop hub has a standard bolt pattern.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

"Rich S." replied:

Hook it to a generator and sell the electricity to the local power company?

Not a half bad idea, until you do the math. At 180 HP at the prop you're
talking 134 kilowatts of power. That's probably _only_ 120 kilowatts if the
generator is 90% efficient. (Actually, I hope it is better than that, because
the leftover watts go into heating the generator!) It seems to me that a
generator capable of handling that size power conversion would be expensive to
rent...

Russell Kent

Old November 12th 03, 07:55 PM
Rich S.

"Russell Kent" wrote in message

Not a half bad idea, until you do the math. At 180 HP at the prop you're
talking 134 kilowatts of power. That's probably _only_ 120 kilowatts if

the
generator is 90% efficient. (Actually, I hope it is better than that,

because
the leftover watts go into heating the generator!) It seems to me that a
generator capable of handling that size power conversion would be

expensive to
rent...

Split the profit with the generator owner. If you cook the books right,
there won't be any money left over for him - you know, like Hollywood
studios do when they make a percentage deal with a star.

Rich "It's all in the numbers" S.

Old November 12th 03, 08:33 PM
Bob Chilcoat

The electric fan you'll need to run to keep the engine cool will eat up a
lot of your profit.

"Rich S." wrote in message
"Russell Kent" wrote in message

Not a half bad idea, until you do the math. At 180 HP at the prop

you're
talking 134 kilowatts of power. That's probably _only_ 120 kilowatts if

the
generator is 90% efficient. (Actually, I hope it is better than that,

because
the leftover watts go into heating the generator!) It seems to me that

generator capable of handling that size power conversion would be

expensive to
rent...

Split the profit with the generator owner. If you cook the books right,
there won't be any money left over for him - you know, like Hollywood
studios do when they make a percentage deal with a star.

Rich "It's all in the numbers" S.

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Clup prop Corky Scott Home Built 8 November 15th 03 04:39 AM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM