Glider Insurance?

Old July 21st 20, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Turkey Vulture

Default Glider Insurance?

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 6:15:03 PM UTC-4, Graham Drinkell wrote:
Why have the costs risen so high? I was a loyal customer for over 10
years to a particular insurance company, whom informed me I was not
allowed to allow young pilots to fly my glider.
They have now declined me from their insurance cover.
I have tried another broker, but their charges are excessive, to the
point I will quit gliding.

Graham what glider are you trying to insure? I don't like hearing this trend...
Old July 21st 20, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WhiskyRomeo2 Ruehle

$2500/yr for 40k of coverage is ridiculous. Try LL Johns, that’s what I pay for about 3 1/2 times the coverage.
Old July 21st 20, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 7/21/20 7:00 AM, Turkey Vulture wrote:
On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 6:15:03 PM UTC-4, Graham Drinkell wrote:
Why have the costs risen so high? I was a loyal customer for over 10
years to a particular insurance company, whom informed me I was not
allowed to allow young pilots to fly my glider.
They have now declined me from their insurance cover.
I have tried another broker, but their charges are excessive, to the
point I will quit gliding.

Graham what glider are you trying to insure? I don't like hearing this trend...

It's not just the glider type, it's pilot age, medical history, claims
history also.
Old July 21st 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I insure for full coverage on twice the value for 1/2 that cost through Costello. Something else is affecting that premium.

A friend just got a quote for LL Johns. It was higher than Costello.

YMMV -

Lou
Old July 21st 20, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yeah, that quote was a memory fart.................probably from our ASH-25 with 4 partners on 100K. Hull is normally about 2% of insured value + liability.
I’m Still too cheap to buy hull..........I have bent 3 gliders in 50 years! Only one claim for a broken boom ........insurance paid 4K!
That’s when I said, screw this, I’ll self insure whenever I can.
JJ
Old July 22nd 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 10:05:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Yeah, that quote was a memory fart.................probably from our ASH-25 with 4 partners on 100K. Hull is normally about 2% of insured value + liability.
I’m Still too cheap to buy hull..........I have bent 3 gliders in 50 years! Only one claim for a broken boom ........insurance paid 4K!
That’s when I said, screw this, I’ll self insure whenever I can.
JJ

My parents never insured their house back in the UK. When I discovered this, I was horrified. But my father said 'how many houses have you seen on fire?' He also told me he and my mother did take the bus to visit the insurance company office (this was before the internet) and when they saw the plush company offices, they understood where their money would go, and walked away.
Old August 4th 20, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 8:31:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Liability only.............what you may do to others while operating your Glider!
I strive to drive safe and fly safe, and I’m willing to take a hit, if necessary!
Full coverage on a 40K Glider is around $2500/yr..........say 5 years of safe operation with liability only and you’ll have 10K of your money to deal with a loss! No loss and you keep the dough! That means 100K of portfolio is dividends on my no hull insurance policy!
I have operated like this for most of the last 50 years..........I’m too cheap to pay big insurance bills, year after year! A 40K Glider will do everything I want and need.
JJ

Best advice I've heard - thanks!

Glider Insurance LAX Soaring 17 December 6th 17 03:13 AM
Glider insurance through AOPA... (USA) [email protected] Soaring 20 March 25th 16 05:14 PM
Glider rental insurance David Reed[_2_] Soaring 19 February 16th 15 07:47 PM
Glider insurance David Ecentral news Soaring 7 July 9th 09 12:19 AM
Glider insurance [email protected] Soaring 1 July 7th 05 08:15 PM