Bailout and survival kit

Old August 6th 20, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Bailout and survival kit

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 2:18:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Better yet, turn it off.

I understand the "turn it off" suggestion, but if I need to make an emergency call, I don't want to wait for the boot up time.

Can't wait for it to boot up, but can wait for people to find you after your cell phone battery dies. What's wrong with this picture?
Old August 6th 20, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can't wait for it to boot up, but can wait for people to find you after your cell phone battery dies. What's wrong with this picture?

I carry a small emergency battery and charge cable. Also works with the InReach.
Old August 6th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

In my bailout/landout kit: Pencil, pen, notepad, small pack of kleenex, butane lighter, Leatherman tool, cell phone charger & cord, Tylenol, anti diarrhea pills, Tost ring, sunscreen, bug repellent, hat, signal mirror, flashlight, headlamp (with strobe), spare batteries, ACR PLB, Yaesu radio and some currency for whatever country I am flying in.

Some of this string reminds me of the W.C. Fields story about him keeping a flask of whiskey in his golf bag pocket, "to settle his nerves in case he saw a snake". In a different pocket, he kept a snake . . .
ROY
Old August 6th 20, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

I fly in the Sierras in the summer, and take bailout survival seriously. My survival strategy is #1 survive the first hours after impact, #2 get help quick. If I survive the impact, the next most likely thing to kill me is bleeding, so I carry a tourniquet and a blood clotting sponge, for wounds on the head or neck where a tourniquet cannot be applied. For #2, I carry a Garmin InReach Mini and a ACR ResQLink PLB as backup. Garmin recently had a long service outage, and I'm glad I'm not completely reliant on them. Also, one of the devices could be damaged in the crash/landing so it's good to have backup. Unfortunately, SAR can take a while and the next most serious threat is exposure. For that, I carry a survival blanket, for warmth at night and shade during the day. All my gear is carried in the zippered pockets of my REI Sahara cargo pants, with the exception of the InReach, which is attached to my parachute by a carbiner. Anything not in a zippered pocket is unlikely to still be with me after a bailout. One thing I'm missing is a backup pair of glasses, since my prescription sunglasses will definitely be lost. I'm going to pop one of the lenses out of an old pair of glasses and carry that with me. It will be compact, and allow me to see into the distance well enough if I really need to. I'm also going to add a lighter, to be able to generate smoke/light in case both satellite options fail.
Old August 6th 20, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 8:02:24 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind that the odds of a bailout are extremely low. But the odds of landing out (including a crash landing) are much higher. That said, I do know pilots who bailed out. One was very near the airport and hiked out until he found someone who could give him a lift to the airport. I am a little concerned that loading yourself up with a lot of stuff might hinder your exit from the cockpit should you actually have to bailout. The pilot I mentioned found it very difficult to reach the canopy eject latches - more weight on his body may have made it impossible.

Tom
Old August 6th 20, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Old glasses lenses...Â* Now THAT is a great idea!

--
Dan, 5J

Old August 6th 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I agree that any change you make to your equipment that might affect canopy ejection, bailout or ripcord actuation needs to be assessed. Practice all of the procedures regularly on the ground (except for actual parachute deployment, unless it is scheduled for a repack, in which case finding and pulling the handle is a good exercise in familiarization).

As I get older, I often put myself through rapid egress exercises on both sides of the cockpit to make sure my strength remains adequate for the task. And I commit to a fast reach for the ripcord handle with both hands prior to every flight.
Old August 6th 20, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SS

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 6:35:16 PM UTC-6, wrote:
"Does anybody wear a paracord belt?"
I'm certain of few things on the topic of bail out and survival, but one thing I am certain of is that if I survive the mid-air and decent under canopy the last thing I expect to be in short supply of is paracord.
-Doug

A parachute has paracords :-)? You're much more likely to landout than bailout into a nasty place. The point simply is that if someone wears a paracord bracelet as part of their survival gear, a paracord belt might be a logical upgrade.
Old September 3rd 20, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here's a picture of my bailout kit: https://i.imgur.com/KvUY5Co.jpg

I found a handy pouch that attaches securely to my parachute shoulder strap.. I added zip ties to make sure that it can't fall off. It has a pouch for my InReach, and a second pouch for the following:

Two Whirl Pak water storage bags (can also be used over socks when trudging through snow)
Water purification tablets
Petzl emergency headlamp (27grams, and can be stored w/ battery for 10 years)
Bic Mini lighter, spark wheel, tinder
Waterproof paper + shortened pen (Wet Notes)
First aid kit
3ft bright yellow duct tape
8ft orange streamer
Emergency blanket
Mini signal mirror
Knife (Gerber STL 2.0, 1oz)
Snack Bar (not really necessary, but it fit nicely)

In addition, I fly in gortex hiking shoes and synthetic clothing; basically, whatever I'd want to hike in. I also carry my phone in a zippered pocket, and my phone has Gaia (backcountry navigation), compass, and inclinometer apps. The parachute itself is an excellent source of cord, insulation, or shelter.

Nadler Arcus Bailout BG[_4_] Soaring 14 February 15th 21 05:21 AM
WTB Used airforce type bailout bottle. Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 9 November 20th 15 06:19 PM
Any details on the Uvalde mid-air / bailout? Gary Emerson Soaring 19 August 19th 08 06:06 AM
Military bailout bottle refill [email protected] Soaring 3 June 30th 06 05:59 PM
First Survivor of a T-28 Bailout? Yofuri Naval Aviation 6 September 10th 04 06:02 AM