wing tape

Old April 29th 14, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Default wing tape

Where and what product is the best white wing tape to be bought?

Old April 29th 14, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:47:13 +0000, Colin Roney wrote:

Where and what product is the best white wing tape to be bought?

I use Maplins electrical white insulation tape. At 19mm x 33m long its
wide enough if put on with care and 7.54 p/m and the shop is on my way to
the airfield.

I notice that Severn Valley Sailplanes also sell 19mm x 33m wing tape at
6.79 p/m but of course there will be P&P added. What's the betting its
the same stuff as Maplins sell? SVS also supply tape in 25mm and 38mm
widths. Maplins only do 19mm tape.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old April 29th 14, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rollings[_2_]

I wonder how long before EASA require us to use only wing tape that comes
with an EASA Form 1?

Old April 29th 14, 05:30 PM
jherzog jherzog is offline
Junior Member

It's pricey, but I really like Bowlus Maxi, sold by Cumulus Soaring:

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/bowlus.htm

It adheres well and is stretchy enough to smoothly follow curves and make it easy to apply.
Old April 29th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:12:24 +0000, Chris Rollings wrote:

I wonder how long before EASA require us to use only wing tape that
comes with an EASA Form 1?

Just hope they don't read RAS and in the meantime be afraid, be very
afraid....

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old April 30th 14, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

3M 483 - but it's horrifically expensive. Wings And Wheels dropped it for this reason so I had to get it from ULINE. I've tried all the others but I like 483 best. I feel like I'm setting fire to $5 bills whenever I use it though.
Old May 1st 14, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I can put up with tape that's a bit less stretchy for a difference of $10+
per roll. What's it take, 10 minutes of your soaring day to tape your ship?

Old May 1st 14, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

I find it laughable when I see somebody using cheap crappy tape on their $60,000+ glider after they drive up in the $40,000+ SUV. What are you saving? Maybe a nickel a flight? Oh, and don't forget the real misers who SAVE said crappy tape to use the next day, with the additional benefit of the dirt that collects on the sticky side.

I prefer the Bowlus Maxi-Tape. It is by far the best stuff out there, and I saved my money by building a $75,000 hangar. Since I only have to tape up two or three times a year, I expect my investment to pay off about the time the Sun burns out.
Old May 1st 14, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I like bright red 3M electrical tape.

Wing Tape Craig[_2_] Soaring 0 May 5th 11 05:09 PM
Books on Military Rotary Wing to Civilian Fixed Wing Transition? Greg Copeland Piloting 5 May 2nd 07 03:23 AM
Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance? ContestID67 Soaring 87 February 1st 07 04:24 PM
Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance? Charles McLaurin Soaring 2 January 30th 07 07:00 PM
Mylar tape wing seals - effect on wing performance Simon Waddell Soaring 8 January 1st 04 04:46 PM