Bailout and survival kit

Old May 5th 20, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Default Bailout and survival kit

For my Softie rig, the vest pockets would be inaccessible/bulky. However, the large space between my sheepskin and parachute forms a huge pouch that can be filled with lots of bailout items without being uncomfortable. I carry an old, thin flip-phone that the law mandates can still be used to call 911, a CD for mirror signalling, space-blanket, etc, plus a small SPOT. Before flight, I chill several small 4oz water-pouches (12 for $4.00 @ https://www.moreprepared.com/sos-eme...ng-water-pouch) and are sterile for wound irrigation (5 year shelf-life). Dehydrated water is even lighter! Don't forget that water ballast is available if you land near the glider.
Old May 5th 20, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't forget that water ballast is available if you land near the glider.

Considering the amount of crappy Moriarty water I've run through those ballast bags over the last 15 years, never flushing them out or disinfecting them, I would think twice about drinking out of those toilets. A water purifying straw from Mioxx or Lifestraw will definitely be part of the kit. Or a decent sized bottle of Jack Daniel's.

Old May 5th 20, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

I use one of these velcro and zip tied to the shoulder strap of my parachute.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1640576232

In it I have a space blanket, lighter, flashlight, knife, hook knife, old phone for 911 calls, pencil, tape, bandaids, rope, whistle, and matches in a water proof container.

The bag I linked above is just big enough to fit a fair amount o gear in while small enough to strap on the shoulder strap and not get in the way.
Old May 5th 20, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 7:09:11 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I attended Dave Nadler's presentation at the 2020 SSA Convention about his bailout in Utah and its aftermath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8I3A3dqsu0&t=3s

It got me thinking about my own preparedness, and I have to admit that I am not carrying enough on my person if I ever "have to go for help." (As our ex-Air Force airport manager describes a bailout.)

I've been thinking about fishing/photographers vests with a lot of pockets, but the parachute and seat belt harness straps interfere with comfort and safety. Small kits like the SMAK PAK are a good start, but I'd like to carry more stuff, like a hat, spare glasses, water etc. I am thinking of an Air Force type flight suit with leg pockets, at the risk of being called a fighter jock wannabe.

Possibly a thin pocketed backpack that could fit between the 'chute and your body, if it could be made comfortable and not interfere with the seating position in the glider would work. But what to put in it and how to you pack it to avoid lumps and stuff digging into your kidneys?

Any ideas or suggestions? What works for you?

I've been thinking about this a bit lately. I have one of these:
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...1/ProductID/71

In concept, it is quite good. Lots of room to keep lots of important stuff, and my Softie can be worn over it. However, in practice, when I put both of them on, the parachute harness straps don't quite fit with it nicely (my parachute has the aerobatic harness with crossed straps in the front). The bigger problem though is that I have so much stuff stuffed in the kit bag that it is quite thick. And it rides at the same level as the D-handle for the rip chord, making it more awkward to access the D-handle. This is a definite no-go. However, if I had a conventional harness with the transverse cross strap, it could fit a bit better. This doesn't solve the problem of it being so thick and interfering with access to the rip chord though. So my considered solution to that would be either:
1. Don't stuff it so full, or
2. Use a thinner kit bag like this:
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc.../1/ProductID/6
Old May 5th 20, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Wyll Surf Air wrote on 5/4/2020 10:32 PM:
I use one of these velcro and zip tied to the shoulder strap of my parachute.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1640576232

In it I have a space blanket, lighter, flashlight, knife, hook knife, old phone for 911 calls, pencil, tape, bandaids, rope, whistle, and matches in a water proof container.

The bag I linked above is just big enough to fit a fair amount o gear in while small enough to strap on the shoulder strap and not get in the way.

It seems big for a parachute shoulder strap. Do you have picture of it's attachment?

Old May 5th 20, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It seems big for a parachute shoulder strap. Do you have picture of it's attachment?

Hump? What hump?

(Young Frankenstein)
Old May 5th 20, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 9:09:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

A USAF survival vest is designed to carry a boat load of stuff, much of which you would not need in a noncombat bailout and is designed to not inhibit the chute harness. Will carry survival radio, extra batteries, compass, medical kit, knife, gun, flare gun and flares among other things. You also want to think about water and high energy food. I carried Tootsie Rolls in Vietnam. They don't melt, last forever.

Walt Connelly
Happy Helicopter Pilot
Old May 5th 20, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The vest we had in Nam consisted of 2 radios and a snub-nosed 38. Radios were below the parachute chest strap and were quite comfortable. We had a large hunting knife on the G-suite thigh with all other survival gear in the seat-pack. I think this vest would work well in a Sailplane Radio,hat, glasses, water,etc. Good place to store your wallet and cellphone also.
RF-4C GIB ‘68
JJ
Old May 5th 20, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dehydrated water. Now that's effin funny.
Old May 5th 20, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 1:35:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Dehydrated water. Now that's effin funny.

Bernard Foods Dehydrated Water. The first and still the best. Responsibly sourced, organic, gluten free, animal cruelty free. You can get it he

http://www.bernardfoods.com/foodserv...datedwater.htm

Nadler Arcus Bailout BG[_4_] Soaring 14 February 15th 21 05:21 AM
WTB Used airforce type bailout bottle. Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 9 November 20th 15 06:19 PM
Any details on the Uvalde mid-air / bailout? Gary Emerson Soaring 19 August 19th 08 06:06 AM
Military bailout bottle refill [email protected] Soaring 3 June 30th 06 05:59 PM
First Survivor of a T-28 Bailout? Yofuri Naval Aviation 6 September 10th 04 06:02 AM