Glider Insurance?

Old July 19th 20, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Drinkell[_2_]

Default Glider Insurance?

Why have the costs risen so high? I was a loyal customer for over 10
years to a particular insurance company, whom informed me I was not
allowed to allow young pilots to fly my glider.
They have now declined me from their insurance cover.
I have tried another broker, but their charges are excessive, to the
point I will quit gliding.

Old July 19th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Too many glider accidents in the last few years with high value gliders. Soaring is a relatively small pool for insurance purposes and the new gliders are running $200 K to $300 k USD.
Old July 20th 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Is it possible to get liability only insurance?

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 20th 20, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote on 7/20/2020 8:11 AM:
Is it possible to get liability only insurance?

On 7/19/2020 4:44 PM, Tim Taylor wrote:
Too many glider accidents in the last few years with high value gliders.
Soaring is a relatively small pool for insurance purposes and the new gliders
are running $200 K to $300 k USD.

I'm sure it is, and it's a lot cheaper than hull insurance. It doesn't cover
damage to the glider you are flying, of course. Contact your insurer.

Old July 20th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hull insurance is only required if you have a loan on the Glider. I limit the value of the glider I own to $40K and self-insure for the value of the ship. I only carry Liability Insurance on the ship, $293.00 this year from Costello. I also self-insure for the value of my cars and carry Liability only insurance on them. After Hartford Insurance Compony canceled our Home Owners Insurance because of all the wild fires in California, I self-insured for a while until State Farm decided to insure our place that is one mile from the local fire department and we have a fire hydrant on the property!
Hope this helps,
JJ

Old July 20th 20, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 4:14:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hull insurance is only required if you have a loan on the Glider. I limit the value of the glider I own to $40K and self-insure for the value of the ship. I only carry Liability Insurance on the ship, $293.00 this year from Costello. I also self-insure for the value of my cars and carry Liability only insurance on them. After Hartford Insurance Compony canceled our Home Owners Insurance because of all the wild fires in California, I self-insured for a while until State Farm decided to insure our place that is one mile from the local fire department and we have a fire hydrant on the property!
Hope this helps,
JJ

Does that $293 include coverage of your glider in case of storm damage, road accident, hangar fire, etc, or do you self-insure for that too?
Old July 21st 20, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Liability only.............what you may do to others while operating your Glider!
I strive to drive safe and fly safe, and I’m willing to take a hit, if necessary!
Full coverage on a 40K Glider is around $2500/yr..........say 5 years of safe operation with liability only and you’ll have 10K of your money to deal with a loss! No loss and you keep the dough! That means 100K of portfolio is dividends on my no hull insurance policy!
I have operated like this for most of the last 50 years..........I’m too cheap to pay big insurance bills, year after year! A 40K Glider will do everything I want and need.
JJ
Old July 21st 20, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SS

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 6:31:09 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Liability only.............what you may do to others while operating your Glider!
I strive to drive safe and fly safe, and I’m willing to take a hit, if necessary!
Full coverage on a 40K Glider is around $2500/yr..........say 5 years of safe operation with liability only and you’ll have 10K of your money to deal with a loss! No loss and you keep the dough! That means 100K of portfolio is dividends on my no hull insurance policy!
I have operated like this for most of the last 50 years..........I’m too cheap to pay big insurance bills, year after year! A 40K Glider will do everything I want and need.
JJ

Right! Flying a good “cheap" glider is extra-satisfying: no loan payment, no need for hull coverage, less anxiety about breaking something, better bang-for-the-buck compared to the expensive rides. Same with cars and lots of things.
Old July 21st 20, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Graham,

Have you tried LL Johns, 248-666-4779 . They use USAIG, instead of AIG that many others use. A small local group of us has had better luck with them lately.

Kevin
92

Glider Insurance LAX Soaring 17 December 6th 17 03:13 AM
Glider insurance through AOPA... (USA) [email protected] Soaring 20 March 25th 16 05:14 PM
Glider rental insurance David Reed[_2_] Soaring 19 February 16th 15 07:47 PM
Glider insurance David Ecentral news Soaring 7 July 9th 09 12:19 AM
Glider insurance [email protected] Soaring 1 July 7th 05 08:15 PM