Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

Old July 26th 20, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

Good part was it was late in the day and there were no golfers on this hole:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8033935
Old July 26th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Gliders are replaceable. But yeah scary story!
Old July 27th 20, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2G wrote on 7/26/2020 2:56 PM:
Good part was it was late in the day and there were no golfers on this hole:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8033935

Looking at it on Google, the course features short, narrow fairways. Scary for
sure. He did have a safe choice if golfers had blocked his way, and while a water
landing leads to a really inconvenient retrieve, it usually just makes things wet,
not bent.

Old July 27th 20, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 2:56:33 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
Good part was it was late in the day and there were no golfers on this hole:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8033935

We were watching it in real time on his Droid tracker from the airport. I almost jumped on the motorcycle to go over and watch the landing but wasn't sure I could make it in time. Using Sergio's elevator in the basin is risky business at best, no options if it doesn't work.
Old July 27th 20, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
3C

Thanks for sharing your story Ramy.
Old July 27th 20, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 2:56:33 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
Good part was it was late in the day and there were no golfers on this hole:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8033935

Glad you're ok and no big damage or golfers injured. And now someone else gets a chance on OLC for a few weeks!

I usually don't try Sergio's unless I see wind on the lake. Good streaks or whitecaps needed, well before I cannot escape over the back to Carson.

The water south of sand harbor looks possible.

I've seen traces that retreat to the Carson valley via the 50 gap.

I gather the golf course in Kings beach has also been landed on, but these seem very chancy.

Anyone else have a half decent plan B for the Tahoe basin?

John Cochrane
Old July 27th 20, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John Cochrane wrote on 7/26/2020 5:56 PM:
I gather the golf course in Kings beach has also been landed on, but these seem very chancy.

Brockway Golf course in Kings Beach was the course Ramy landed on, not one of the
Incline Village courses. They are a few miles apart.

Old July 27th 20, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 5:56:27 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 2:56:33 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
Good part was it was late in the day and there were no golfers on this hole:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=8033935

Glad you're ok and no big damage or golfers injured. And now someone else gets a chance on OLC for a few weeks!

I usually don't try Sergio's unless I see wind on the lake. Good streaks or whitecaps needed, well before I cannot escape over the back to Carson.

The water south of sand harbor looks possible.

I've seen traces that retreat to the Carson valley via the 50 gap.

I gather the golf course in Kings beach has also been landed on, but these seem very chancy.

Anyone else have a half decent plan B for the Tahoe basin?

John Cochrane

This land out really highlights the need for a good short game when flying XC. If you had a two stroke, you wouldn't have been penalized. Good drive to the green! Stay safe everyone.
Old July 27th 20, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

There are 3 important lessons I can share which apply to many situations:
1- keep your margins, don’t let them erode overtime.
2- the 99% rule eventually wins. You can perform the same thing successfully 99 times, eventually it will fail.
3- Always have a plan B and even C. My plan B and C were the golf course and the lake. I walked and measured that golf course multiple times over the years and concluded that if it is empty I should be able to land there with minimum to no damage. If it is not I can divert to the water In the last minute. Admittedly it was still a very intense experience.

Ramy
Old July 27th 20, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 9:10:01 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
There are 3 important lessons I can share which apply to many situations:
1- keep your margins, don’t let them erode overtime.
2- the 99% rule eventually wins. You can perform the same thing successfully 99 times, eventually it will fail.
3- Always have a plan B and even C. My plan B and C were the golf course and the lake. I walked and measured that golf course multiple times over the years and concluded that if it is empty I should be able to land there with minimum to no damage. If it is not I can divert to the water In the last minute. Admittedly it was still a very intense experience.

Ramy

Isn't that Lake 1,600 ft deep? How well do gliders float? This is a serious question. Can one expect them to stay on or near the surface for a couple of hours? Anyone know what the usual damage is for water landings is, maybe Hank? Thanks for sharing Ramy, and so very glad you are okay!!!!

Lake Elsinore, 1-26 crash landing video David Reitter Soaring 2 July 13th 12 09:33 PM
Short field landing Lake Providence LA (0M8) with ATC COMS - Video A Lieberma[_2_] Owning 0 July 21st 09 12:06 AM
South Lake Tahoe Class D Ray Piloting 2 May 15th 05 03:31 AM
Lake Tahoe Ross Richardson Owning 5 March 28th 05 07:04 PM
DONNER LAKE TAHOE 2005 TRUCKEE,CA PHOTOS DONNER LAKE 2005 Piloting 3 January 16th 05 09:06 AM