A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Super Cub Tow Release Position Improvement

Old August 3rd 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
William Kautter
external usenet poster

Default Super Cub Tow Release Position Improvement

Our club is researching methods to move the tow release off the floor of our Super Cub to a position closer to the throttle. If you have done this modification or know someone that has I would very much appreciate any information and/or photos you or they would be willing to share.

Best regards,

Bill Kautter
Old August 3rd 20, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 3:00:08 PM UTC-4, William Kautter wrote:
Our club is researching methods to move the tow release off the floor of our Super Cub to a position closer to the throttle. If you have done this modification or know someone that has I would very much appreciate any information and/or photos you or they would be willing to share.

Best regards,

Bill Kautter

Bill, our old super cub had the release on the left upper side of the cockpit, I will try and look through my old pics to see if I can find one that shows the location. Glad to see you getting the release in a better location, it could save a life. Bob
Old August 3rd 20, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

When I towed at the AF Academy back in the 80’s, Dave Johnson had the tow release mounted on the panel right in front of the throttle. He used a small piece of square tubing inside a larger piece which was attracted to the panel. Another small piece was welded to the smaller one to make a T handle. I think the cable was routed through some kind of tubing (plastic?) back to the POS Schwiezer hitch on the tail. I always kept my fingers on the T handle and the butt of my hand on the throttle. Sorry, but no pictures.
Old August 3rd 20, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 4:40:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
When I towed at the AF Academy back in the 80’s, Dave Johnson had the tow release mounted on the panel right in front of the throttle. He used a small piece of square tubing inside a larger piece which was attracted to the panel. Another small piece was welded to the smaller one to make a T handle. I think the cable was routed through some kind of tubing (plastic?) back to the POS Schwiezer hitch on the tail. I always kept my fingers on the T handle and the butt of my hand on the throttle. Sorry, but no pictures.

I understand completely, that POS has a long history! A couple of us have done considerable testing on different tow hooks, you may be surprised at the results. At least you weren't at the Naval Academy, ha ha, three good landings and you go to the bar. I am looking for the pics, hope I can help you out, it was a long time ago.
Old August 4th 20, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora
external usenet poster

Best place for a release is on the fuselage tubing at eye level left side. Every tow plane I have flown has had the release there and it’s brilliant.
Old August 4th 20, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Nice to see people waking up. No system is 100 percent fool proof but any release handle not IMMEDIATELY available to the tow pilot is an accident (potentially fatal) waiting to happen. Any club or commercial operation not willing to acknowledge this and make the change should be abandoned by any tow pilot immediately. IT'S YOUR LIFE.

WALT CONNELLY
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot
Old August 4th 20, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 7:39:25 AM UTC-4, Stephen Szikora wrote:
Best place for a release is on the fuselage tubing at eye level left side.. Every tow plane I have flown has had the release there and it’s brilliant.

Stephen is 100% correct, as I recall our old Super Cub had the release about eye level on the left down tubing.
Old August 4th 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 6:57:20 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Nice to see people waking up. No system is 100 percent fool proof but any release handle not IMMEDIATELY available to the tow pilot is an accident (potentially fatal) waiting to happen. Any club or commercial operation not willing to acknowledge this and make the change should be abandoned by any tow pilot immediately. IT'S YOUR LIFE.

WALT CONNELLY
Former Tow Pilot

I think I like this idea, anyone have photos, drawings, sketchs of how these are mounted, fabricated, cable routed? for Cub, Citabra, Scout style aircraft?
Old August 4th 20, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 10:35:19 AM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 6:57:20 AM UTC-6, wrote:

WALT CONNELLY
Former Tow Pilot

I think I like this idea, anyone have photos, drawings, sketchs of how these are mounted, fabricated, cable routed? for Cub, Citabra, Scout style aircraft?

Brian, the mount should be easily reached and released from the tow pilots position while securely strapped into the tow plane. As Walt has stated, "it is about time", more tow planes need to be inspected and a determination should be made as to the ease of release. I have see tow planes that would make it impossible to release under any circumstance much less an emergency.. The question that I have is, how many tow pilots were lost because they could not effectively reached or located the release? One is too many.
Old August 5th 20, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]
external usenet poster

Brian, the mount should be easily reached and released from the tow pilots position while securely strapped into the tow plane. As Walt has stated, "it is about time", more tow planes need to be inspected and a determination should be made as to the ease of release. I have see tow planes that would make it impossible to release under any circumstance much less an emergency. The question that I have is, how many tow pilots were lost because they could not effectively reached or located the release? One is too many.

I can imagine what it might look like, I have just never seen one, or the details how to route cables.

Brian