Question on medical and kidney stones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 6th 03, 03:00 PM
nospam

Default Question on medical and kidney stones

About a year ago I passed a kidney stone. I know it passed because I
saw it, and I know it was the only stone because I've had two
ultrasounds: one on the night it passed showing just one stone, and
another several months later showing no stones. My 3rd class medical
expires in spring of 2004.

I do NOT want to "beat" the medical. If I have a retained stone I don't
wanna be the sole pilot in a plane, because I know what they can do to
you when they pass. The one I passed last year was my first one ever
and it hit me about 3 hours before I was scheduled to fly solo. I was
very lucky it hit when it did. That's why I went back for another
ultrasound several months later.

However I want to be prepared for my medical without doing excessive
tests or having excessive delays. I want to go in there with all the
records and required proof of being stone-free when I go for the
appointment, because I don't want any unnecessary delays. I read the
AOPA's page on this and they said I would need a "recent" ultrasound
showing no stones. I tried calling my AME to ask him but his office
has a voicemail system and I'm a little shy about leaving my name and
number for a callback for this. So some questions if any who have been
through this can answer:

1. Probably the best thing to do is to call my AME and ask him what I
need to do to prepare for this medical exam. But if I do this six
months before before medical expiration, could that have a bad effect?
Like could he say "you're grounded until I get an ultrasound" even
though I've had one showing I'm clear since then? btw, the reason I
need to know now is that I am doing my medical benefits for next year,
and if I'm going to need an expensive procedure, I want to set up my
flexible medical spending account for it.

2. Has anyone gotten insurance, specifically an HMO that requires a PCP
referral for all tests, to cover the ultrasound/IVP/whatever required
for this?

3. How "recent" does the ultrasound showing no stones have to be?

4. If I lose my medical temporarily (like if a retained stone is found
and I have towait for it to pass), could I still take instrument
training with a CFI and log the time as PIC?

5. Any other advice or war stories would be appreciated.

Thanks.