Helicopter de-icing

Old December 24th 04, 05:21 PM
Peter MacPherson

Default Helicopter de-icing

I'm familiar with de-icing on fixed wing aircraft, but how common is it
on helicopters and how does it work? For instance the Coast Guard
flies the Jayhawk and Dauphin and I'm sure these must be certified for
flight into known icing conditions.

Thanks,
Pete

Old December 24th 04, 07:41 PM
PJ Hunt

Just as the wing is the most critical issue with icing in an airplane it's
the same for a helicopter.

The rotor is the wing of a helicopter and it would have anti-icing equipment
similar to the anti-icing on an airplane prop. Additionally there is
electrical anti-icing on critical areas of the airframe.

As far as I know the only helicopter currently certified in the US for
flight into known icing is the Super Puma, but several others are configured
with anti-icing equipment.

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

Old December 24th 04, 08:54 PM
Peter MacPherson

So the rotor blades would have some type of an anti-icing "sling"
for each rotor blade?

That's interesting the Super Puma is the only helicopter certified
for known icing. But I guess most helicopters are flown in VFR
conditions, so it's not as much of an issue. But you'd think the Coast
Guard helicopters operating in a hover above water in freezing
conditions would need it.

Happy Holidays.

Old December 24th 04, 09:28 PM
PJ Hunt

Please notice that I said "as far as I know"... there may well be others
that I'm just not aware of.

I'm sure the Coast Guard H-60's have anti-icing on them as do many other
helicopters. I just don't know if they're certified for 'flight into known
icing conditions".

Old December 24th 04, 09:48 PM
Mike Rapoport

The ones I am familiar with have electric heating elements in the rotor, I
am aware of none that use systems similiar to fixed wing airplanes. A big
probelm with helos is that the fusilage tends to pick up a lot of ice.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 25th 04, 02:32 AM
Peter MacPherson