Soaring across US Canada border (and back)

Old June 28th 14, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Soaring across US Canada border (and back)

The FAA posts the relevant rules and overview http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publi...ifim/airspace/

but there must be some good stories. It would have been easy (from a lift and wind perspective) for a XC pilot to cross over and back today in Vermont. It must be tempting.
Old June 29th 14, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Gotta wonder about my Operating Limitations which clearly state "within
the Continental United States". I never bothered to check if US
experimental aircraft can be operated in Canada, though the Canadian
Rockies would certainly host many good flights!

Dan Marotta

Old June 29th 14, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I'm not sure that the FAA has any jurisdiction outside the USA, but they might have words with you if you exit and then try to return! Over the years, a few of us in Arizona have had this issue with the southern border!

Mike
Old June 29th 14, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Sunday, 29 June 2014 09:54:26 UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
... I never bothered to check if US experimental aircraft can be operated in Canada, though the Canadian Rockies would certainly host many good flights!

Yes, Dan, you can fly your experimental aircraft in Canada.

BUT, you need to contact Transport Canada to request a "Validation of Foreign Flight Authority". This costs $CAD 100 and is valid for one year. The process is outlined here (sorry, I don't know how to put in a link):
http://tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/re...04.htm#507s_05

An aircraft with a Standard Type Certificate can come into Canada without hassle.
Old June 30th 14, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ah, well... I may have to limit myself to the Colorado, Idaho, and New
Mexico Rockies for the foreseeable future.

Dan Marotta