RV-8 Dimension request

Old December 4th 03, 10:59 PM
Howard Johnson

Default RV-8 Dimension request

Hello,

Can someone help me out and confirm that the horizontal stabilizer /
elevator of an RV-8 at it widest point is just under 9 feet?

I'm setting up my shop and was surprised to see that the preview plans
don't have those sorts of dimensions on any of the drawings. I did
find a Three View dwg that if I measured right, has it at 8.9'

Thanks.
P. Happ
Old December 5th 03, 12:31 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

Can someone help me out and confirm that the horizontal stabilizer /
elevator of an RV-8 at it widest point is just under 9 feet?

The best folks to help you out are at Van's Aircraft, either by phone or
email. From their web site:
"503.678.6545

Monday thru Friday technical support hours are between:

7:00-9:00 AM and 3:30-4:30 PM Pacific Time.

When calling, please have your questions thought out and any applicable
plan numbers readily available. This will help us support as many people
as possible and keep your phone bill at a minimum."

Also, will work.

Ed Wischmeyer
Old December 5th 03, 02:21 AM
Charlie England

Howard Johnson wrote:
Hello,

Can someone help me out and confirm that the horizontal stabilizer /
elevator of an RV-8 at it widest point is just under 9 feet?

I'm setting up my shop and was surprised to see that the preview plans
don't have those sorts of dimensions on any of the drawings. I did
find a Three View dwg that if I measured right, has it at 8.9'

Thanks.
P. Happ

That's probably about right. I just finished a -7 tail (same as the -8,
except the rudder).

If you are setting up the shop to build the whole plane & not just the
tail, then space for the tail won't be a problem. ;-)

The fixture to hold the wing spar is ~114" between the uprights. You can
use the wing fixture to build the hor. stab, but I built mine on an 8'
long work bench.

Charlie
flying -4, -7 in the oven

Old December 7th 03, 08:15 AM
JB

Howard Johnson wrote in message . ..
Hello,

Can someone help me out and confirm that the horizontal stabilizer /
elevator of an RV-8 at it widest point is just under 9 feet?

I'm setting up my shop and was surprised to see that the preview plans
don't have those sorts of dimensions on any of the drawings. I did
find a Three View dwg that if I measured right, has it at 8.9'

Kinda funny to see this question posted, I was wondering the exact
same thing when I ordered my RV-8 tail kit a coupla months ago; I
couldn't find the dimensions of the tail so I could build my first
bench!

So I just measured the horizontal stab rear spar that I assembled last
week, and here it is... the tail is 98.5 inches (or 8' 2.5") wide.