Does Av-Blend work?

Old May 9th 05, 12:26 PM
Brian Whatcott

Default Does Av-Blend work?

On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:16:07 +0100, Peter
wrote:

Has anyone any experience of AVblend aviation lubricant?
http://www.avblend.com/
It seems to have been around some time, and is FAA approved. The
brochure says that this oil kept a Lycoming in sound condition for
nearly 8000 hours. That's three engine lifetimes!

I remember reading years ago that this stuff AVBlend was a special oil
that "does what it says on the tin"

Peter.

I wanted to find the source of this oil's magic. The URL didn't help.
So I assume it's a 1:4 synthetic/mineral mix. That's a useful blend.
One I use myself.

Regards

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK.
Old May 9th 05, 12:58 PM
Denny

Yeah, this is a conundrum... It has a bluish tint to it, which I assume
that word is due to the active chemical molecule/element, as the
usual liquid, lubricant stuff is normally clear...

Now, the local FBO rented C-150's for decades, and for decades had
stuck exhaust valves on a regular basis (renters running full rich)...
One time they had two valves stuck in one week and lost money on
cancelled flights and the owner, despite being tighter than the bark on
a tree, sprang for a case of AVBLEND... They never had a stuck valve
after that...
Yup, anecdotal...
Yes, not valid statistically...
Sure does seem unlikely...
Goes against my suspicious nature...

Now fast forward to 2004 and this airplane owner had his first stuck
valve in four decades of ownership, and multiple airplanes... So,
guess what I am now slopping into my engines?

cheers ... denny

Old May 9th 05, 07:53 PM
PPT33R

The firm that markets/distributes the product was sued by the FTC over
it's ZMax car product, which is similar ("with Linkite!!!").

http://www.ftc.gov/os/2003/03/oilchemstip.pdf

As far as keeping valves moving, old-time ag-pilots swear by MMO. MMO
is again mostly solvents.

Were I to choose between the two, I would go with MMO. MMO arguably has
broader anecdotal data...

www.pipercubforum.com/marvel.htm

Old May 10th 05, 12:24 PM
Denny

I am aware of that court action... I am also aware, from personal
experience, that litigation and court rulings have absolutely nothing
to do with fact and everything to do with arcane legal maneuvers and
motions, bald faced perjury, etc... The best dog and pony show gets
the blue ribbon...

I do not know if AVBLEND actually works or not... I do know that the
Part 135 operator/FBO/owner used it on my his Apache for decades and
that after I purchased the airplane from his estate I did not use
AVBLEND as I was not convinced it was effective... Suddenly I have a
stuck valve, my first in 40 years of owning airplanes... I am now
using AVBLEND... Check with me in 5 years...

BTW, my current mechanic swears by MMO and uses it in his rental
fleet... fwiw

denny

Best Home Base Work Reynard Simulators 0 November 9th 04 04:39 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 9th 04 04:37 PM