Is there a nose hook modification for a standard cirrus

Old October 4th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Is there a nose hook modification for a standard cirrus

I bought a standard cirrus. I havent flown it yet, but I was wondering if it's possible to put a nose hook on the plane?
Old October 4th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Anything's possible, given time and money but (here we go again), why
would you want to do that?Â* Flame suit on...

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 4th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is a factory mod to fit a nose hook as described in Schempp Hirth TN 278-37.

In terms of why you'd want to, most Std Cirruses have a tailskid - tailskid and belly hook can be a challenging combination.

Nick.

Old October 5th 17, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 4:27:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I bought a standard cirrus. I havent flown it yet, but I was wondering if it's possible to put a nose hook on the plane?

Last year I spoke to Heinze of M&H the U.S. Schempp-Hirth Dealer, he thought kit, less Tost release would run $1500, Tost release maybe $500. Installation labor??

Heinze thought it would not be cost effective.
I bought the spoiler mod instead. My glider already had the hatch and wedekind sleeves.
Spoiler mod was worth twice what I paid IMO.

Good Lift,
Scott.
Old October 5th 17, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

The only Cirrus I've seen in the US with a nose hook is UN, and I *think* they used a Zuni hook. Boy it looked nice.
Old October 5th 17, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

The CG hook "problem" on aero tow is an airport myth. Nose hooks are a hardware solution to a software problem. Spend your money elsewhere - like a pneumatic tailwheel or spoiler mod.
Old October 5th 17, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

UN came with a Zuni or HP type hook installed by Applebay under a 337, that for those who aren’t familiar, kind of looked like a small Schweizer hook that retracts flush with the skin. The first time I attempted aerotowing with it, we tried twice to connect it with the line guy and it released and retracted when the towplane added power. The previous owner later said, yeah that happens sometimes, think the cable needs adjusted. I’ve also heard of Zuni accidents related to a possible premature release for what it’s worth. I taped over it and used the Tost CG hook without looking back. I figure Klaus knew what he was doing more or less.

Mike
Old October 5th 17, 09:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Thursday, 5 October 2017 06:08:14 UTC+3, wrote:
The CG hook "problem" on aero tow is an airport myth. Nose hooks are a hardware solution to a software problem. Spend your money elsewhere - like a pneumatic tailwheel or spoiler mod.

Agreed, nose vs. cg hook is non-issue and gets way more attention than it really deserves. Most pilot woudn't notice any difference. Tail skid on the other hand is something that should have been left in 1910's and biplanes. Just horrible thing to have in anything, royal pain in the ass everytime it touches ground.
Old October 5th 17, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 11:37:45 AM UTC+3, krasw wrote:
On Thursday, 5 October 2017 06:08:14 UTC+3, wrote:
The CG hook "problem" on aero tow is an airport myth. Nose hooks are a hardware solution to a software problem. Spend your money elsewhere - like a pneumatic tailwheel or spoiler mod.

Agreed, nose vs. cg hook is non-issue and gets way more attention than it really deserves. Most pilot woudn't notice any difference. Tail skid on the other hand is something that should have been left in 1910's and biplanes.. Just horrible thing to have in anything, royal pain in the ass everytime it touches ground.

Certainly in normal circumstances it isn't a problem.

In rotor with slack line I've pitch up when the rope suddenly becomes tight has been noticeable in a Janus, but easily dealt with.

Someone asked a while ago whether there was any history of towplane upsets with nose hook gliders. I don't recall that it was ever answered. You'd think that if it happens someone would be able to quickly point to an example or two.
Old October 5th 17, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 10/5/2017 3:13 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
[...]

Dunno if it was "kiting" in the sense of "torquing about the glider's CG" or
not, but I recall reading about a tow pilot fatality after a K-8 drove it into
the ground; happened in the 1960s in Utah. The article was given me as part of
a Safety Corner collection by my club's chief instructor for a
reading/feedback assignment during my primary instructional days. My takeaway
was: Kids, don't DO this!

I'd bet other instances in the U.S. - where nose hooks predominated for much
of soaring - can be found...

Bob W.

---
http://www.avg.com