A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Newish radio isn't loud enough

Old August 21st 16, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Newish radio isn't loud enough

I just replaced an older Becker radio with a 4201. Everything is great except that the volume is noticeably lower and I can barely hear transmissions. I am using the same wiring as I was able to plug into the old harness fine.. I transmit loud enough its just receiving is low at max volume.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Dennis
Old August 21st 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

Check that the impedance of your speaker is correct for the new radio.

Another thing to consider is where the sound is coming from. I have found that speech is more easily processed when the source is located in front of me rather than behind. I have moved my radio speaker to the panel. I can hear it much better there than behind my head. Panel space is precious, of course; yet for me, the benefit is significant and worth the price.
Old August 21st 16, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Steve is right - I had the same issue with a 4201. With an 8 ohm speaker the output volume was too quiet. However, if you enter the 4201's setup mode, like this:

"Switch off the VHF transceiver. Hold the mode key (MDE) pressed and at the same time switch on the unit. The VHF transceiver switches to the service mode without a unit test. SqL appears in the top line and the switch on threshold of the squelch is shown on the bottom line."

You will be able to scroll through the setup items to item 21 which allows you to increase the audio output. This worked for me, although replacing the 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm will also help.

The full manual is here (thanks Paul) :

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/beck...201-Manual.pdf

Cheers,
Nick.
Old August 21st 16, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 5:01:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Steve is right - I had the same issue with a 4201. With an 8 ohm speaker the output volume was too quiet. However, if you enter the 4201's setup mode, like this:

"Switch off the VHF transceiver. Hold the mode key (MDE) pressed and at the same time switch on the unit. The VHF transceiver switches to the service mode without a unit test. SqL appears in the top line and the switch on threshold of the squelch is shown on the bottom line."

You will be able to scroll through the setup items to item 21 which allows you to increase the audio output. This worked for me, although replacing the 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm will also help.

The full manual is here (thanks Paul) :

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/beck...201-Manual.pdf

Cheers,
Nick.

I did not see that in the manual. Hope it increases it enough. Thanks Nick and Steve!

Dennis
Old August 22nd 16, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

If you happen to have a Schleicher product, the speaker "enclosure" is a fiberglass panel with small holes in it. By cutting a large hole for the speaker, much more efficiency can be obtained. Cover the larger hole with wire mesh or screen, painted primer gray, ahd hot melt glued to the inside of the cover.

Better.

bumper
Old August 22nd 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Nominal speaker impedance has nothing to do with sensitivity of speaker, it's pretty meaningless number.
Old August 22nd 16, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 8:11:16 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
Nominal speaker impedance has nothing to do with sensitivity of speaker, it's pretty meaningless number.

Some audio amplifiers do not work well with a nominal speaker impedance lower than described in the manual. The distortion may be noticeable. Likely most noticeable at low battery voltage.
Using a higher impedance speaker (ie 8 Ohm on an amp rated for 4 Ohm) works but essentially cuts amplifier output power in half.

To optimise your speaker choice, look at the speaker impedance curve which is like the polar of a glider. Choose speakers with the least dip in the impedance curve around 200 to 350Hz. With a really low impedance in the low midrange, voice will sound unclear at any volume.

The Schleicher suggestion is good for later models. For example the ASW24 (unsure of 24B) doesn't have those pre-wired speaker compartments.
Jim
Old August 22nd 16, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Monday, 22 August 2016 18:38:25 UTC+3, JS wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 8:11:16 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:

Some audio amplifiers do not work well with a nominal speaker impedance lower than described in the manual. The distortion may be noticeable. Likely most noticeable at low battery voltage.
Using a higher impedance speaker (ie 8 Ohm on an amp rated for 4 Ohm) works but essentially cuts amplifier output power in half.

Lower impedance tells you that speaker driver likes to have more amps instead of volts, but that does not mean it needs more watts. With modern op-amp chips and milliwatts of power needed that is totally academic. Unless you plan to build a VHF radio using vacuum tubes without output transformer

To get more sensitivity out of known speaker, easiest way is to install it next to your ear. It should be obvious also that all so-called "speakers" sold with aircraft radios are made of 10 cent chinese toy elements, always without magnetic shielding. There are A LOT better ones available.
Old August 22nd 16, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 11:57:18 PM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
If you happen to have a Schleicher product, the speaker "enclosure" is a fiberglass panel with small holes in it. By cutting a large hole for the speaker, much more efficiency can be obtained. Cover the larger hole with wire mesh or screen, painted primer gray, ahd hot melt glued to the inside of the cover.

Better.

bumper

I've done that to two speaker boxes now. Makes a signifiant improvement. Putting a sound blocking grille on a speaker enclosure must have seemed a good idea to somebody....

I've also found just trashed speakers in older (power) aircraft, torn dust caps and foam, etc. I'd check even if it seemed to be OK with your previous radio.

Old August 22nd 16, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have a

On a related subject, I fly a motorglider (ventus 2cM) and like to use a headset to reduce engine noise when self-launching. I use a David Clark, which I find suitable, except that I would like to find a more compact headset that can be more easily stowed after launch. Does anyone have recommendations for a more compact headset?