100LL "the future looks grim"

Old August 1st 04, 10:51 AM
Cub Driver

Default 100LL "the future looks grim"

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 04:17:46 -0000, Marty Shapiro
wrote:

Does anyone have more
accurate information about this gas than my fading memory?

As recently as 20 years ago, white gas was sold in gallon containers
as lantern and stove fuel. Dunno about octane, but it was my
impression that this stuff was less volatile and less dangerous than
what was sold at Gasoline Alley downtown.

My wife's aunt and her husband lived in a house with electricity or
telephone (it did have running water, courtesy of a windmill). As they
got older, and the eys got dimmer, they upgraded from kerosene lamps
to Coleman lanterns.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old August 2nd 04, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:13:46 -0000, Marty Shapiro
wrote:

The "white gas" you are referring to is kerosene.

Coleman lanterns burn kerosene?

Old August 5th 04, 07:08 PM
John Clear

In article ,
Jim Weir wrote:
Suggest a search of AirNav.com with a printout of US airports with mogas before
you stick your foot further into your mouth.

On a random cross country flight plugged into AirNav, we get:

MOGAS:

The great circle distance LAX-BOS is 2263 nautical miles
There are 198 landing sites nationwide that meet your refueling requirements.

100LL:

The great circle distance LAX-BOS is 2263 nautical miles
There are 3139 landing sites nationwide that meet your refueling requirements.

So approximately 6% of the airports in the country have MOGAS. I'd
say 6% qualifies as 'very few' places having MOGAS.

How does your foot taste?

John
--
John Clear - http://www.panix.com/~jac

Old August 5th 04, 08:01 PM
Jim Weir

My foot is fine, and that is about the dumbest answer I've seen in this ng in a
while. Not only that, but if you'd give me 6% of all the avgas sold in this
country for business, I'd be on a beach in Hawaii inside of a year.

More to the point, and using your example...it shows your ignorance of the
situation immediately when you use Los Angeles and Boston as your airports, but
just for grins let's go along with it.

The question is NOT "how few", but how many. Do your airnav search again, but
use the page the way it was intended, not for ALL the airports in the country,
but how many of them on your route with a maximum deviation of 50 miles.

Comes up 120 or 125 airports along the route, depending on whether you use FAA
or AIRNAV figures.

Now you can massage those number six ways from Sunday, but let's presume that
they are somewhat equally spaced across the country. Yes, I know that a large
percentage of them are east of the Rockies, but let's just diddle the math.

2263 miles with 120 airports along the way gives an average distance between
airports of 19 miles. If you can't plan your gas stops better than 19 miles
apart, you need a little more instruction.

Yes, going to Oshkosh, it is difficult to get to Morgan County UT, then Alliance
NB for autogas, but once in Nebraska, there are simply dozens of choices between
there and Wisconsin, and even more as you proceed eastbound.

Jim

(John Clear)

-In article ,
-Jim Weir wrote:
-Suggest a search of AirNav.com with a printout of US airports with mogas
before
-you stick your foot further into your mouth.

-So approximately 6% of the airports in the country have MOGAS. I'd
-say 6% qualifies as 'very few' places having MOGAS.
-
-How does your foot taste?
-
-John

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 6th 04, 07:07 AM
Janne Blomqvist

In article , Cal Cerise wrote:
The common sense solution-besides diesel or turbine-is a recip that
burns 100LL or autogas interchangeably.

Sounds reasonable.

Interestingly, the White Gas discussion earlier brings up a point.
The U.S. Army uses the term "mogas" to refer to a fuel that is similar
to Coleman fuel, or what used to be sold as TVO-Tractor Volatising
Oil-in the UK and white gas in the US. It is a fuel in between
gasoline and diesel fuel and has poor octane and poor cetane. It can
be burned in white-gas or kerosene burning spark ignition tractors,
gas turbines (when trimmed for), and in the military multifuel piston
vehicle engines which is why they buy it. Either it's cheaper than
either #2D or car gas, or no one pilfers it.

I thought that NATO was supposed to be moving towards JP-8 as their
"universal" fuel, used for everything from portable stoves to
cruisers. They even had Kawasaki make a diesel/JP-8 burning dirt bike
for them.

--
Janne Blomqvist

Future of 100LL? Michael Owning 0 August 2nd 04 09:29 AM
Future of 100LL? [email protected] Piloting 0 July 30th 04 12:50 AM
Future military fighters and guns - yes or no ? championsleeper Military Aviation 77 March 3rd 04 04:11 AM
UNMANNED, THE WAY OF THE FUTURE Larry Dighera Piloting 11 November 28th 03 05:02 PM