Long Angel Flight tomorrow

Old May 5th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default Long Angel Flight tomorrow

Angel Flight was in a bit of a bind to fill this one, so I let them talk me
into it, even though it is 650 nm and will end up taking six hours or so,
ground time included.

I'm taking the second of three legs. Flying from Mobile to Vicksburg, MS,
picking up a single pax and dropping her off in Marianna, FL, then back to
BFM.

The forecast is for scattered t'storms over the route all day, so the Garmin
496 should earn its keep on the trip. A couple of cold ones will taste mighty
good after this one.

Any of you folks who have been thinking about volunteering, now's as good a
time as any to contact AF and get started. We need more pilots and I know you
will find it rewarding.

http://tinyurl.com/3dqtmv

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 5th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Dan Luke wrote:
Angel Flight was in a bit of a bind to fill this one, so I let them talk me
into it, even though it is 650 nm and will end up taking six hours or so,
ground time included.

I'm taking the second of three legs. Flying from Mobile to Vicksburg, MS,
picking up a single pax and dropping her off in Marianna, FL, then back to
BFM.

The forecast is for scattered t'storms over the route all day, so the Garmin
496 should earn its keep on the trip. A couple of cold ones will taste mighty
good after this one.

Any of you folks who have been thinking about volunteering, now's as good a
time as any to contact AF and get started. We need more pilots and I know you
will find it rewarding.

http://tinyurl.com/3dqtmv

What are you flying now? I believe you had your 172 for sale, right?

Matt
Old May 5th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Matt Whiting" wrote:

What are you flying now? I believe you had your 172 for sale, right?

Still flying the Cutlass RG.

I've come close with a couple of buyers but, so far, no sale.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 5th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Dan Luke wrote:
Any of you folks who have been thinking about volunteering, now's as good a
time as any to contact AF and get started. We need more pilots and I know you
will find it rewarding.

You know, I wouldn't mind donating my time but I'm a renter. I can't afford to
just buy them trips.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old May 5th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dan Luke wrote:
Any of you folks who have been thinking about volunteering, now's as good a
time as any to contact AF and get started. We need more pilots and I know you
will find it rewarding.

You know, I wouldn't mind donating my time but I'm a renter. I can't afford to
just buy them trips.

You think owners have a less costly situation than renters? That is
truly funny! :-)

Matt
Old May 5th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

You know, I wouldn't mind donating my time but I'm a renter. I can't afford
to just buy them trips.

How much of a tax deduction can you take for the rent you spend on your
regular trips?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 5th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nathan Young

On Sat, 05 May 2007 12:21:27 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dan Luke wrote:
Any of you folks who have been thinking about volunteering, now's as good a
time as any to contact AF and get started. We need more pilots and I know you
will find it rewarding.

You know, I wouldn't mind donating my time but I'm a renter. I can't afford to
just buy them trips.

You think owners have a less costly situation than renters? That is
truly funny! :-)

On a trip by trip basis we do.

The fixed costs are already sunk, so we get to fly for the cost of
fuel, oil. In my Cherokee that's about $40/hr, substantially less
than the ~$100/hr they want for renting the 172s at the local FBO.

Old May 5th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 5/4/2007 8:28:45 PM, "Dan Luke" wrote:

Angel Flight was in a bit of a bind to fill this one, so I let them talk
me into it, even though it is 650 nm and will end up taking six hours or
so, ground time included.

Dan, I thought you were selling your airplane?

Awesome of you to take a flight of this duration for Angel Flight, in any
regard.

--
Peter
Old May 5th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra

You think owners have a less costly situation than renters? That is
truly funny! :-)

On a trip by trip basis we do.

The fixed costs are already sunk, so we get to fly for the cost of
fuel, oil. In my Cherokee that's about $40/hr, substantially less
than the ~$100/hr they want for renting the 172s at the local FBO.

BS!!! How about engine amorization and maintainence amorization. You can
add about 17 bucks per hour for the engine and about 30 smackers for the
maintainence amorization. With fuel at 4.40 a gallon and 9 gph on average
and through in another dollar for oil you have about 87 to 88 dollars per
hour true cost.

Kobra

Old May 5th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dan Luke wrote:
Any of you folks who have been thinking about volunteering, now's as good a
time as any to contact AF and get started. We need more pilots and I know you
will find it rewarding.

You know, I wouldn't mind donating my time but I'm a renter. I can't afford to
just buy them trips.

You think owners have a less costly situation than renters? That is
truly funny! :-)

On a trip by trip basis we do.

The fixed costs are already sunk, so we get to fly for the cost of
fuel, oil. In my Cherokee that's about $40/hr, substantially less
than the ~$100/hr they want for renting the 172s at the local FBO.

Sunk cost doesn't matter. You have to apportion sunk costs to the hours
you fly somehow or you aren't calculating the true cost of flying. The
cost per hour of flying in a given year is total costs (fixed &
variable) divided by the number of hours flown that year.

Deciding to exclude a given flight from the equation is simply not
logical. Having an airplane is a prerequisite to even making the
flight, so saying that sunk costs aren't relevant is simply ludicrous.
If you hadn't paid those costs you would not be able to even make the
flight!

Matt

Angel Flight Wizard of Draws Piloting 7 November 14th 06 03:08 PM
Another XC Flight tomorrow CareBear Piloting 0 October 8th 06 12:15 AM
Angel Flight George Piloting 53 January 30th 06 01:24 AM
Angel Flight Steven Barnes Piloting 3 September 24th 04 02:58 PM
Flight restrictions around Reno tomorrow, Thursday, June 18 Dan Dunkel Soaring 0 June 17th 04 09:45 PM