Trailer license problem

Old May 30th 18, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer license problem

Have you considered "modifying" the trailer and registering it as a homemade trailer? The state will make you get it weighed (empty) and want to know dimensions, etc but this is another way to solve your problem.
- Chris Schrader
Old May 30th 18, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 8:04:42 PM UTC-7, rj wrote:
Not necessarily. Four months ago I registered my trailer in Florida as a homebuilt with a weight
of 740 pounds empty. I received my registration and license place in about 15 minutes. Painless.

But did you get a *title* for the trailer. If you sell it someone in California without a title, then all the pain in this thread will apply.

5Z
Old May 30th 18, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 11:54:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 8:04:42 PM UTC-7, rj wrote:
Not necessarily. Four months ago I registered my trailer in Florida as a homebuilt with a weight
of 740 pounds empty. I received my registration and license place in about 15 minutes. Painless.

But did you get a *title* for the trailer. If you sell it someone in California without a title, then all the pain in this thread will apply.

5Z

Many states issue just a registration and plate but no title for trailers. OH is one of them. I had to turn in my PA title of my trailer in exchange for an OH registration and plate.
Moving to SC, I learnt that no plate is required for glider- boat or similar trailers. However, that is only true if one keeps the trailer within the state. When travelling out of state, a plate is required. I only found out about that after I trailered to Parowan, UT twice without being stopped by the highway patrol! It took the buyer of my glider some trials and tribulations to get a KY title and registration. Fortunately, with my old OH registration, he could raise enough information from the OH DOT to convince the KY DOT that all was on the up and up.
Getting a SC title and tag for my current trailer was also a bit of trouble.. The previous owner had imported the trailer factory-new from Germany into SC but never titled or registered it since he had no aspirations of moving the glider out of state. It took a letter of conformity from the OEM (Spindelberger) and the bills of sale to prove the chain of conveyance form the OEM to the first owner to me. I now have the SC title and a permanent trailer tag.
When buying a 'new' ship, don't get blinded by the nice and shiny new toy - take a look at the trailer paperwork as well. I know of at least one sale that fell through because the seller had no documentation for the trailer and the buyer didn't want to go without it!

Uli
'AS'
Old May 30th 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As John Carlyle posts PA is tough on trailers. I’ve had little help from PennDot. Your best bet is to google “ enhanced safety inspection station in PA” you will find a list of stations listed by county that inspect and issue tags for rebuilt cars, trucks, and home builts. They deal on a daily basis with the out of ordinary and folks that “ skate close to the edge of the pond” if you will. They will be the most accurate real world source of information regarding your situation.
Old May 30th 18, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

No ****!* Our license plate says, "New Mexico USA" in understanding of
the crappy education in this country.

New Mexico - not really new, not really Mexico.

:-[

On 5/29/2018 4:17 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:35:18 PM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
The lady at the counter told me: "Ain't kilograms here, has to be pounds".

Good thing you weren't bringing it in from New Mexico, she might have insisted on customs forms as well.

5Z

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 30th 18, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 2:36:37 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
No ****!* Our license plate says, "New Mexico USA" in understanding of
the crappy education in this country.

New Mexico - not really new, not really Mexico.

I gave my address to a young thing at one of the large semiconductor companies as Rhode Island, she asked: "what state is that in"...

RR
Old May 30th 18, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 2:17:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 2:36:37 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
No ****!* Our license plate says, "New Mexico USA" in understanding of
the crappy education in this country.

New Mexico - not really new, not really Mexico.

I gave my address to a young thing at one of the large semiconductor companies as Rhode Island, she asked: "what state is that in"...

RR

Next thing, Trump is going to build that wall around 'New Mexico' once he becomes aware of this. It was nice to know you, Dan Marotta!
Old May 31st 18, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

I'd just tow it home, park it and put a Lein Sale on it and let the send out the paperwork after a month. Say you towed if for someone and they never showed up and you've had it for a while.

John
Old May 31st 18, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Glad to live in Kansas. I just go to most any RV dealer and get a Kansas under 2M plate and fix it to the back of the trailer. If I kept it in Kansas, I would not bother. But it helps when I go out of state, because many officers in other states don't know that a Kansas trailer under 2000 pounds is exempt from needing a tag. ... Also some nice soaring weather in KS.

Old May 31st 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

I have bought and sold several gliders and many cars/trucks. Both myself, and the buyer, merrily drove away to other states without any license plates. Never had any issues.

Of course, we did have a bill of sale in our hands in case we were stopped. In the glider's case this was both the FAA version and a non-FAA version. The non-FAA version was separately one for just the glider, one for the trailer and one for the instruments. Unsure about that last one being needed but this is how I was taught way-back-when. Taxes I suppose.

My first trailer was home-built and purchased in Michigan. When I took it to Illinois (to a rural DMV, not Chicago!) they were ok with the home-built-ness but asked for the serial number, which it didn't have. So they issued a stick on "plate" that I applied to the tongue. Then they issued an IL title and plates. Really pretty easy. Maybe coming from Michigan was easier for some reason.

- John OHM Ω