When to descend

Old October 10th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

Default When to descend

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 18:14:12 -0700, Bee wrote:

I guess the AIM and the IPH need to state "A TAA straight-in, left base,
or right base area is the regulatory equivalent of a published approach

It's in the PC/G:

TERMINAL ARRIVAL AREA (TAA)- The TAA is controlled airspace established in
conjunction with the Standard or Modified T and I RNAV approach
configurations. In the standard TAA, there are three areas: straight-in,
left base, and right base. The arc boundaries of the three areas of the TAA
**are published portions of the approach** and allow aircraft to transition
from the en route structure direct to the nearest IAF. TAAs will also
eliminate or reduce feeder routes, departure extensions, and procedure
turns or course reversal.

(emphasis mine)
Old October 11th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Al G[_1_]

"Bee" wrote in message
Newps wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

You are coming from northeast of SFB. ATC says "Cleared direct UDUZI,
maintain 4000' until established, cleared RNAV 9L approach."

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0710/00917R9L.PDF

When do you descend below 4,000

Anytime after UDUZI.

and to what altitude?

At or above 2000

wrong

You want to expand on that a bit, bucko?

Al G

Old October 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee

Al G wrote:
"Bee" wrote in message

Newps wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

You are coming from northeast of SFB. ATC says "Cleared direct UDUZI,
maintain 4000' until established, cleared RNAV 9L approach."

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0710/00917R9L.PDF

When do you descend below 4,000

Anytime after UDUZI.

and to what altitude?

At or above 2000

wrong

You want to expand on that a bit, bucko?

Al G

I already did.

You descend to 2700 once inside the TAA.

Like Steve said, you guys need to read the AIM and the PC/G. ALo
Old October 11th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 18:14:12 -0700, Bee wrote:

I guess the AIM and the IPH need to state "A TAA straight-in, left base,
or right base area is the regulatory equivalent of a published approach

It's in the PC/G:

TERMINAL ARRIVAL AREA (TAA)- The TAA is controlled airspace established in
conjunction with the Standard or Modified T and I RNAV approach
configurations. In the standard TAA, there are three areas: straight-in,
left base, and right base. The arc boundaries of the three areas of the TAA
**are published portions of the approach** and allow aircraft to transition
from the en route structure direct to the nearest IAF. TAAs will also
eliminate or reduce feeder routes, departure extensions, and procedure
turns or course reversal.

(emphasis mine)

Great cite. Too bad most of the folks here cannot figure out how to
find this stuff.
Old October 11th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

Bee wrote:

Great cite. Too bad most of the folks here cannot figure out how to
find this stuff.

Great cite of a pretty good site.

True enough, but if everyone just looked everything up and found the
answers and interpreted everything correctly, we wouldn't have much to
talk about here.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't fault the OP for raising the question here.
It provoked an interesting discussion and I learned from it.

Dave
Old October 11th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee

Dave Butler wrote:
Bee wrote:

Great cite. Too bad most of the folks here cannot figure out how to
find this stuff.

Great cite of a pretty good site.

True enough, but if everyone just looked everything up and found the
answers and interpreted everything correctly, we wouldn't have much to
talk about here.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't fault the OP for raising the question here.
It provoked an interesting discussion and I learned from it.

Dave

The NACO TAA charts are also covered in great detail in the NACO IAP
chart legend, which appears everytime someone downloads NACO approach
charts:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco..._IAP_Intro.pdf

Old October 11th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:26:42 -0700, Bee wrote:

Great cite. Too bad most of the folks here cannot figure out how to
find this stuff.

At least the question is asked and, in the various answers, these sorts of
things become known.
Old October 12th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:26:42 -0700, Bee wrote:

Great cite. Too bad most of the folks here cannot figure out how to
find this stuff.

At least the question is asked and, in the various answers, these sorts of
things become known.

It didn't help that NACO chose to use the MSA box for the TAA area
minimum altitudes rather than the underscore as they have always used
for all other minimum alitudes and as illustrated in the AIM.

They also claim that the TAA area minimum altitudes replace MSAs for
these IAPs. That is incorrect. They make MSAs unnecessay but they do
not replace them. MSAs are not IFR altitudes in this country.
Old October 12th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:13:00 -0700, Bee wrote:

They also claim that the TAA area minimum altitudes replace MSAs for
these IAPs. That is incorrect. They make MSAs unnecessay but they do
not replace them. MSAs are not IFR altitudes in this country.

Although the TAA minimum altitude, and MSA have different definitions, I
never had a problem with the concept of them being the same value when
there is a TAA published.