Least Expensive Plane To Buy and Own

Old August 24th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michael Adams

Default Least Expensive Plane To Buy and Own

I am looking for some input on the least expensive airplanes to own. I've
heard so many horror stories about the $5000 or even $15,000 annual, or the
seat adjuster that costs $600, that I thought I would get some input on this
before buying. So I'm looking for low purchase price (used), low repair and
parts costs, and low $ per hour to run.

Michael

Old August 24th 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Michael,

So I'm looking for low purchase price (used), low repair and
parts costs, and low $ per hour to run.

You need to be aware that having such a strong focus on the lowest
price may have inherent safety issues. You get what you pay for.

Having said that, have a look at the Ercoupe or the Piper Warrior 140.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 24th 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

Having said that, have a look at the Ercoupe or the Piper Warrior 140.

Or better yet, a rental. You could buy & feed a cow, but for most of us it
makes far more sense to buy milk.

Vaughn

Old August 24th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Michael Adams wrote:
I am looking for some input on the least expensive airplanes to own.

The rental. G
Old August 24th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley

"Michael Adams" wrote in message
t...
I am looking for some input on the least expensive airplanes to own. I've
heard so many horror stories about the $5000 or even $15,000 annual, or the
seat adjuster that costs $600, that I thought I would get some input on
this before buying. So I'm looking for low purchase price (used), low
repair and parts costs, and low $ per hour to run.

Michael

There is no such thing as low parts cost on a certified airplane. The
voltage regulator on my Cherokee 140 went bad a few years ago. This is a
Chrysler part. NAPA gets $35 for an identical part. Piper sells theirs for
$350. BTW, the Cherokee 140 is at the bottom end of both the purchase price
scale as well as the maintenance scale. HOWEVER, I had both a $19,000 annual
followed by a $6000 annual. Those two prretty much put the plane back into
premimum condition. I've been spending around $1500/year since. (BTW, it's
for sale for $27,000)

The reason the parts are so expensive is because very few are manufactured,
and the certification cost is high. So, if you're really looking for low
cost parts, you can't do it with a certified aircraft.

That leaves you with buying a homebuilt. If you jump over to
rec.aviation.homebuilt and look for the FAQ, you can read plenty.

Old August 24th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Michael Adams wrote:
I am looking for some input on the least expensive airplanes to own. I've
heard so many horror stories about the $5000 or even $15,000 annual, or the
seat adjuster that costs $600, that I thought I would get some input on this
before buying. So I'm looking for low purchase price (used), low repair and
parts costs, and low $ per hour to run.

Piper Cub
Aeronca Champ
Old August 24th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

Having said that, have a look at the Ercoupe or the Piper Warrior
140.

Or better yet, a rental. You could buy & feed a cow, but for most
of us it makes far more sense to buy milk.

Vaughn

While I agree with the rental if saving money is the key I also understand
that renting isn't always an option. So you might look at one of the new
S-LSA where you can do your own maintenance and become qualified to do your
own annual.

Another option that will reduce not only the cost of maintenance but also
the initial cost of ownership is going the homebuilt route.

Old August 24th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Vaughn Simon" said:
"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

Having said that, have a look at the Ercoupe or the Piper Warrior 140.

Or better yet, a rental. You could buy & feed a cow, but for most of us it
makes far more sense to buy milk.

A flying club combines many of the benefits of ownership with the low cost
of rental.

For instance, in my flying club http://www.rochesterflyingclub.com/, the
monthly dues are less than what AOPA says a good renters insurance policy
will cost you. But you get clean, well maintained planes flown by people
who treat the planes like they have to pay the maintenance costs.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Fortunately, he was promoted far enough up the management ladder that he
Old August 24th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:45:42 -0700, "Michael Adams"
wrote:

I am looking for some input on the least expensive airplanes to own. I've
heard so many horror stories about the $5000 or even $15,000 annual, or the
seat adjuster that costs $600, that I thought I would get some input on this
before buying. So I'm looking for low purchase price (used), low repair and
parts costs, and low $ per hour to run.

Michael

the hands down record for the least expensive aircraft to own was set
by Ron Wantajja (WWantaja, Waantaja, Wanttaja ..one of the letters is
doubled) in N500F. sheesh, annuals that were fun reading and cost less
than a carton of beer.

Stealth Pilot
Old August 24th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Wanttaja

wrote:

I am looking for some input on the least expensive airplanes to own. I've
heard so many horror stories about the $5000 or even $15,000 annual, or the
seat adjuster that costs $600, that I thought I would get some input on this
before buying. So I'm looking for low purchase price (used), low repair and
parts costs, and low $ per hour to run.

the hands down record for the least expensive aircraft to own was set
by Ron Wantajja (WWantaja, Waantaja, Wanttaja ..one of the letters is
doubled) in N500F. sheesh, annuals that were fun reading and cost less
than a carton of beer.

Today's Friday here, so the "t" is doubled.

The highs and the lows of my annual adventures:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/FLYM.HTM

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/ann97.htm

Ron Wanttaja