Scott and XM weather

Old September 17th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

Default Scott and XM weather

[sorry, reposting under a different subject line, since some idiot
hijacked and crossposted the original thread]

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#196146

"An air traffic controller didn’t tell Scott Crossfield he was headed
for a storm, but then Crossfield didn’t ask, either."

The avweb article links to this Washington Post story:

I think I read in the NTSB preliminary report that Scott had an XM
weather subscription. Since I'm a user of the XM product, I'd be
interested in knowing whether he was displaying the NEXRAD in the
cockpit, and what it showed.

DGB
Old September 18th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 9/17/2007 10:54:11 AM, Dave Butler wrote:

Since I'm a user of the XM product, I'd be
interested in knowing whether he was displaying the NEXRAD in the
cockpit, and what it showed.

As a user of WSI's in-cockpit weather, I am under the impression that XM
NEXRAD can be up to 10 to 15 minutes old, depending on refresh rate and time
it takes to assemble the NEXRAD mosaic and transmitted up to XM's satellites.
If that potential for stale radar data is indeed true, then using XM (and
WSI) to weave one's way around intense thunderstorms is false security.

--
Peter
Old September 18th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Peter R. wrote:
On 9/17/2007 10:54:11 AM, Dave Butler wrote:

Since I'm a user of the XM product, I'd be
interested in knowing whether he was displaying the NEXRAD in the
cockpit, and what it showed.

As a user of WSI's in-cockpit weather, I am under the impression that XM
NEXRAD can be up to 10 to 15 minutes old, depending on refresh rate and time

NEXRAD through XM Radio is usually never more than ten minutes old.
It's impractical to use for tactical avoidance (like you would use
airborn radar or sferics) but you can steer clear of large spots of
orange to red.

Scott Crossfield Dave Butler Instrument Flight Rules 6 September 17th 07 06:54 PM
Scott Crossfield Bryan Soaring 17 April 28th 06 02:53 AM
Hats off to you, Scott Scott Home Built 0 April 21st 06 02:00 PM
Warm Weather Pilots, Cold Weather Ops john smith Piloting 3 December 2nd 04 04:00 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM