ILS 16R at KRNO

Old December 13th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
nick name

Default ILS 16R at KRNO

The ILS 16R (http://tinyurl.com/353gd5) at Reno (KRNO) has the
notation:

"8500 to GS intercept 181 (2) and LOC (8.8)"

I don't understand this. It appears this means that GS intercept will
occur in 2 miles on a 181 heading and that LOC intercept will occur in
8.8 miles. Neither appears to be true from the plan view. In fact, it
looks more like LOC intercept will occur in 2 miles and GS intercept
in 8.8 (at 8500 feet).

Any insights?
Old December 13th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kobra

"8500 to GS intercept 181 (2) and LOC (8.8)"

I don't understand this. It appears this means that GS intercept will
occur in 2 miles on a 181 heading and that LOC intercept will occur in
8.8 miles. Neither appears to be true from the plan view. In fact, it
looks more like LOC intercept will occur in 2 miles and GS intercept
in 8.8 (at 8500 feet).

Any insights?

No idea, but I would like to know how on an ILS approach without GPS one
would identify PYRAM.

Kobra

Old December 13th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

Kobra wrote:
"8500 to GS intercept 181 (2) and LOC (8.8)"

I don't understand this. It appears this means that GS intercept will
occur in 2 miles on a 181 heading and that LOC intercept will occur in
8.8 miles. Neither appears to be true from the plan view. In fact, it
looks more like LOC intercept will occur in 2 miles and GS intercept
in 8.8 (at 8500 feet).

Any insights?

No idea, but I would like to know how on an ILS approach without GPS one
would identify PYRAM.

If airnav.com is to be believed, it's at the intersection of the 286
radial from HZN, and the 332 radial from FMG, at 22.19 DME, and is
charted on enroute-high and enroute-low as well as the IAP.

Dave
Old December 13th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
gwengler

On Dec 13, 11:34 am, nick name wrote:
The ILS 16R (http://tinyurl.com/353gd5) at Reno (KRNO) has the
notation:

"8500 to GS intercept 181 (2) and LOC (8.8)"

I don't understand this. It appears this means that GS intercept will
occur in 2 miles on a 181 heading and that LOC intercept will occur in
8.8 miles. Neither appears to be true from the plan view. In fact, it
looks more like LOC intercept will occur in 2 miles and GS intercept
in 8.8 (at 8500 feet).

Any insights?

You fly to PYRAM (which can be identified by FMG 332 radial and HZN
286 radial). From there you continue at 8500 for 2 miles (IRNO DME)
at 181 deg. Then (after 2 miles) you turn to 164 deg, i.e. intercept
the localizer. From the point you change your heading, it's 8.8 miles
(INRO DME) from PYRAM to GS intercept.
Gerd
Old December 13th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kobra" wrote in message
. ..

No idea, but I would like to know how on an ILS approach without GPS one
would identify PYRAM.

PYRAM is a DME fix on V165.

Three miles north of PYRAM there's another fix, LIBGE, which can be
determined by DME, or a radial intersection from Hazen VOR, or the
intersection with the Reno RWY 16R LOC.

If you were inbound to Reno from the north on V165 you could your determine
your position at LIBGE as you flew through the localizer, continue for
another three miles on V165 and determine your position at the IAF PYRAM by
use of DME or GPS, at which point you'd turn to a heading of 181 to
intercept the localizer.

Old December 13th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

If airnav.com is to be believed, it's at the intersection of the 286
radial from HZN, and the 332 radial from FMG, at 22.19 DME, and is charted
on enroute-high and enroute-low as well as the IAP.

The low altitude enroute chart shows the intersection of the HZN 286R and
FMG 332R to be LIBGE, three miles north of PYRAM.

Old December 13th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"gwengler" wrote in message

You fly to PYRAM (which can be identified by FMG 332 radial and HZN
286 radial).

What chart are you looking at? Low altitude enroute chart L-9 shows the
intersection of the FMG 332R and HZN 286R to be LIBGE, three miles north of
PYRAM.

Old December 14th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jackal24

nick name wrote in news:db1ffcb5-bf85-4924-acdd-
:

The ILS 16R (
http://tinyurl.com/353gd5) at Reno (KRNO) has the
notation:

"8500 to GS intercept 181 (2) and LOC (8.8)"

I don't understand this. It appears this means that GS intercept will
occur in 2 miles on a 181 heading and that LOC intercept will occur in
8.8 miles. Neither appears to be true from the plan view. In fact, it
looks more like LOC intercept will occur in 2 miles and GS intercept
in 8.8 (at 8500 feet).

Any insights?

I understand it as 8500 to glideslope intercept (which will occur after 2
miles of flying 181 degrees at which point you will intercept the
localizer. Then fly 8.8 miles on that until gs intercept)
Old December 14th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

On Dec 13, 10:34 am, nick name wrote:
The ILS 16R (http://tinyurl.com/353gd5) at Reno (KRNO) has the
notation:

"8500 to GS intercept 181 (2) and LOC (8.8)"

I don't understand this. It appears this means that GS intercept will
occur in 2 miles on a 181 heading and that LOC intercept will occur in
8.8 miles. Neither appears to be true from the plan view. In fact, it
looks more like LOC intercept will occur in 2 miles and GS intercept
in 8.8 (at 8500 feet).

Any insights?

It means maintain 8500 MSL until intercepting the glideslope. You're
a total of 10.8 miles from GS intercept at PYRAM, 2 miles on a 181
heading and 8.8 miles on the LOC.

Old December 14th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:44:37 -0500, "Kobra" wrote:

No idea, but I would like to know how on an ILS approach without GPS one
would identify PYRAM.

You use your low altitude chart.

PYRAM is defined by the 286.0° radial from HZN (Hazen VOR) at 41.7 NM. It
is on V165 a few miles south of LIBGE