Weight and balance, ballast, trim when flying alone

Old January 15th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default Weight and balance, ballast, trim when flying alone

On Jan 16, 8:58 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
What a very, very odd question. I don't believe I've ever been asked
such a question by a student before.

Is that why you haven't answered it?

He's waiting for a student to ask the question.
None has yet
Old January 15th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_13_]

How much does it pitch to the side if you don't put offsetting weight into
the passenger seat and how does it compare to the normal variation caused by
fuel burn from a single side at a time? If you do the math I think you will
see that the moment caused by the fuel burn changes is much higher then the
moment caused by the weight of the passengers so close to the centerline.

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
John writes:

What is your expectation from your simulator experience?

I expect it to reasonably simulate weight and balance issues, which it
does,
but not having flown the real thing, I don't know how accurate the
simulation
is. I've read that MSFS tends to exaggerate the W&B effects of unequal
amounts of fuel in the tanks, for example, although I always keep fuel
loads
balanced.

Do you need to laterally balance the plane in MSFS?

Yes.

Old January 15th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Robert M. Gary posted:

On Jan 15, 9:53 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
What is your method for handling weight and balance when you are
piloting a small aircraft alone? Do you just trim to adjust for the
lateral imbalance, or do you put something on the other side of the
plane (ballast, luggage, etc.) to balance it out, or what?

What a very, very odd question. I don't believe I've ever been asked
such a question by a student before.
-Robert, CFII

Don't worry... you still haven't, for very good reason.

Neil

Old January 16th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

JUST DRINK THE F-----G KOOL-AID !!!

Old January 16th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 15, 11:58*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
What a very, very odd question. I don't believe I've ever been asked
such a question by a student before.

Is that why you haven't answered it?

I usually start my students out with a $49 intro flight. Once they'd
taken that flight they would probably not think to ask this question.

-Robert
Old January 16th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote in news:7e42a64257da1@uwe:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Why, you thinking of becoming ballast?

you're overqualified.

Bertie

niiiice...

actually some of these are pretty good.

"underqualified" might be what I'd expect from you, yip.

As a flame, or as ballast myself?

Bertie
Old January 16th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

John writes:
What is your expectation from your simulator experience?

I expect it to reasonably simulate weight and balance issues, which it does,
but not having flown the real thing, I don't know how accurate the simulation
is.

Will wonders never cease, he admits it at last! The answer is that
MSFS simulation is nothing like really flying.

Cheers
Old January 16th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 15, 5:37*pm, WingFlaps wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:58*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Will wonders never cease, he admits it at last! The answer is that
MSFS simulation is nothing like really flying.

I hope not because I still can't land the Cessna 150 in MSFS.

-Robert
Old January 16th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
John writes:

What is your expectation from your simulator experience?

I expect it to reasonably simulate weight and balance issues, which it
does

No, it doesn;'t

Bertie
Old January 16th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
:

On Jan 15, 9:53*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
What is your method for handling weight and balance when you are
piloting

small aircraft alone? *Do you just trim to adjust for the lateral
imbala

nce,
or do you put something on the other side of the plane (ballast,
luggage, etc.) to balance it out, or what?

What a very, very odd question. I don't believe I've ever been asked
such a question by a student before.

You still haven;'t.

Bertie

L23 weight and balance Tony Verhulst Soaring 5 December 31st 05 01:54 AM
Weight & Balance DVD jon Home Built 0 October 8th 05 05:39 PM
Weight and Balance Dale Larsen Home Built 2 June 23rd 04 05:11 PM
Weight and Balance JP Piloting 2 January 13th 04 10:54 AM
Weight and balance.. Bart Rotorcraft 9 August 19th 03 02:57 AM