A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

Old February 15th 21, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon
external usenet poster

Default Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 5:31:18 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 4:29:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am considering making a purchase for a AGS29 pure glider, I have somewhat a good idea as to the market value of such a ship, but your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
What would you consider the market value of aa ASG29 2012 model, with a slight damage history and somewhat outdated panel to be? There is a trailer included and the description was stated to be pristine, yet there are 4 out of 5 stars on the advertised description. IMHO if the glider is pristine there should be 5 stars in the descriptive advertisement.
This glider is said to be a 400 hour ship.
Again, in gel coat, and we all know what happens at some point.
Somewhat outdated panel.
A pure glider, no sustainer.
Fabric interior and not leather.
Clear canopy and not tinted.
I all honesty, what do you think the value of this ship?

I would think twice about purchasing gel a coat finished glider. 10 years down the road it will look undesirable.

I have a 48 year old glider that has gelcoat and still looks nice. A nice creamy white and no crazing or cracks.
If one makes a requirement of only a painted glider there are very few to select from.
UH
Old February 16th 21, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 4:40:41 PM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
I am considering making a purchase for a AGS29 pure glider, I have somewhat a good idea as to the market value of such a ship, but your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
What would you consider the market value of aa ASG29 2012 model, with a slight damage history and somewhat outdated panel to be? There is a trailer included and the description was stated to be pristine, yet there are 4 out of 5 stars on the advertised description. IMHO if the glider is pristine there should be 5 stars in the descriptive advertisement.
Somewhat outdated panel.

I would think twice about purchasing gel a coat finished glider. 10 years down the road it will look undesirable.

I have a 48 year old glider that has gelcoat and still looks nice. A nice creamy white and no crazing or cracks.
If one makes a requirement of only a painted glider there are very few to select from.
UH

Yes, I have seen two sailplanes from the same factory, same make, same model and same gelcoat. One was taken care of, buffed, Wx' blocked and sealed yearly and was still near perfect after over ten years . The other was not taken care of and had crazed gelcoat and needed a refinish. Having worked in a sailplane repair shop it has been noted that people often do not take care of their sailplanes.
Old February 16th 21, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 6:25:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 6:05:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:

... so will the pilot!

Oh Stephen, there you go again. In 10 years I would be approaching 80 and if we flew together I would kick your ASS. So before you start throwing rocks on us senior citizens get you glider and come on down. Bob

Wasn’t specifically referring to you, Bob. It was a joke ... but then they say the first thing to go is the sense of humour!
Old February 16th 21, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

... so will the pilot!

Oh Stephen, there you go again. In 10 years I would be approaching 80 and if we flew together I would kick your ASS. So before you start throwing rocks on us senior citizens get you glider and come on down. Bob

It was a joke. It wasn’t directed specifically at you. Far too serious ... Make American Giggle Again!
Old February 16th 21, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 8:13:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
... so will the pilot!

It was a joke. It wasn’t directed specifically at you. Far too serious ... Make American Giggle Again!

Stephen, no apology needed! We all have a bit of fun, I was just throwing a grenade your way. What is soaring without a bit of fun. Take care, come on down and fly with us pirates of the Treasure Coast. Bob Rumblood
Old February 16th 21, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner
external usenet poster

On 2/15/2021 6:40 PM, Hank Nixon wrote:
Somewhat outdated panel.

UH

It seems that a lot of old (35-45 years) gliders have had the gel coat
sanded and painted (10-20 years ago). How do they hold up after that?
Does it depend on the condition of the gelcoat before the painting? (If
it was in great condition, they wouldn't have painted it, eh?) How
should such a painted-over-gelcoat glider be treated to make that sort
of finish last?
Old February 16th 21, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 7:16:53 PM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
Somewhat outdated panel.

UH

of finish last?

Old February 16th 21, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 7:16:53 PM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
Somewhat outdated panel.

UH

of finish last?

You do not paint over gelcoat. You remove it and start from the bare airframe.

Mike
Old February 16th 21, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 08:01:34 UTC+2, Mike Carris wrote:

Mike

I've never seen a painted glider that did not have gelcoat below the paint. New gliders with paint = gel coat is added to the moulds. Refinished gliders = gel coat usually sanded down but still there.

No use comparing 50 years old gel coat gliders to modern gliders with T35 crap that lasts 10 years before cracking.
Old February 16th 21, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 2:30:51 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 08:01:34 UTC+2, Mike Carris wrote:

Mike

I've never seen a painted glider that did not have gelcoat below the paint. New gliders with paint = gel coat is added to the moulds. Refinished gliders = gel coat usually sanded down but still there.

No use comparing 50 years old gel coat gliders to modern gliders with T35 crap that lasts 10 years before cracking.

I can show you an LS3A that was painted over the gel, it is now totally in immediate need of a complete strip and build up. we plan on refinishing it very soon. The paint and gel on this ship seems to remove much easier than any others that I have removed.